Dover dembarkation time

thumper860

We're on a Pacific Princess summer solstice cruise ending in Dover 6:00 am on Jul 4,2018. We have a tight flight departure from Gatwick at 12 noon. Anyone know what the first disembarkation times are for Princess in Dover? We'll arrange a private transfer to save time.

That is going to be REALLY tight!! Princess doesn't even recommend flights from LGW until 2:00pm. You won't be able to purchase Princess transfers with that early of a flight so it's a good thing you're arranging a private transfer. I made a 12:15 LHR flight from Southampton once (and that's a lot closer than LGW) and it was really pushing it.

If the ship pulls into dock on time (and sometimes it doesn't due to the ever-present winds), then you should be off by 6:45am if you do walk-off disembarkation. Allow 2.5 hrs. minimum to get to LGW (probably closer to 3+ hrs. depending on traffic) and check-in is 3 hrs. prior to your flight. The security lines can be a nightmare or if you're lucky, super easy. But, they are very different than those in the US. They take security VERY seriously there.

Best advice I can give having just done this same exact itinerary last August: have a good back-up plan. ;)

If you have any other questions, just let me know.

Look at https://www.google.co.nz/maps/dir/Dover+Cruise+Terminal,+Western+Docks,+Dover+CT17+9DQ,+UK/Gatwick+Airport+(LGW),+Horley,+Gatwick,+UK/@51.2011724,0.2859111,10z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x47debb3372542e4d:0x215d8a7a464d82e4!2m2!1d1.3156147!2d51.1132247!1m5!1m1!1s0x4875efde7d1f391b:0x59dda4bf018973ff!2m2!1d-0.1820629!2d51.1536621!3e0 for the road journey between Dover and Gatwick.

Eek! Too early for me - you'll be leaving Dover at rush hour with thousands of commuters heading in to London. I'd want to absolutely be first off that ship and in a taxi asap. I think if you are on the road by 0800 you're probably going to be ok (it should take about 1hr30 - 2hrs) but check what your airline says about check-in times etc. (I've assumed airport at 10am for a flight at noon).

You haven't got much wriggle-room so I would research some alternative flights just in case...

Gatwick is going to be a better option to Heathrow in my opinion. Both of these are described as London airports however Gatwick is well south of London, nowhere near it in my opinion, and a cross country trip at rush hour times is not going to be as bad as getting through London to Heathrow on the far (West) side of London. It's not ideal but a competent taxi/transfer service will be able to advise on whether the times are feasible. They will also know of what will be the best route from a choice of a couple of motorway and trunk road options.. If you tell them the expected disembarkation time and ask what time they can get you to Gatwick by it should give you a good idea of reality.

Gatwick is much smaller than Heathrow and only has two terminals, North and South whereas Heathrow has five all over the show. Gatwick's terminals are connected by a free Monorail transit system. Getting through to the gate will be easier but your airline will advise on how early you need to be there ahead of flight time.

Regards John

I agree with John Watson - I would prefer Gatwick over Heathrow when coming from Dover.

No, you don't need to be at the airport 3 hours in advance. Sure many airlines might suggest that, but many don't. As was also said above, LGW is much smaller than LHR and easier to navigate. Just be sure to be one of the first ones who walk off the ship and you should be OK if you indeed dock when scheduled.