We want to cruise Australia New Zealand

We cruised South Island in April, weather was brilliant. Milford Sound and Fiord Land was exceptional with clear views throughout. We have just returned from the second Sea Princess cruise of the North and South Island (Jan 4-18) and the weather was overcast, low cloud and raining. While the weather was poor the waterfalls in Milford were spectacular so it is a 50 - 50 bet.

When you do go keep well away from Sea Princess although the ship was supposed to be sanitised after the NOVOVIRUS outbreak (200 plus passengers) I still managed to get infected 4 days into the cruise. Obviously ship not cleaned and while my wife shared cabin throughout the 4 days I was isolated she was still free to roam ship. Senior staff showed contempt to those passengers that did not have the virus. While denying any outbreak I did discover I was not the only one with it. We had to cancel Hobbiton trip and I was not well enough to leave cabin until last two ports on North Island. Take Glenn 20 to clean your cabin and a plastic bag for the TV remote but even that did not prevent me getting it. Good luck and if you decide to go with Princess take an extra $1000 to cover your medical expenses.

We cruised South Island in April, weather was brilliant. Milford Sound and Fiord Land was exceptional with clear views throughout. We have just returned from the second Sea Princess cruise of the North and South Island (Jan 4-18) and the weather was overcast, low cloud and raining. While the weather was poor the waterfalls in Milford were spectacular so it is a 50 - 50 bet.

When you do go keep well away from Sea Princess although the ship was supposed to be sanitised after the NOVOVIRUS outbreak (200 plus passengers) I still managed to get infected 4 days into the cruise. Obviously ship not cleaned and while my wife shared cabin throughout the 4 days I was isolated she was still free to roam ship. Senior staff showed contempt to those passengers that did not have the virus. While denying any outbreak I did discover I was not the only one with it. We had to cancel Hobbiton trip and I was not well enough to leave cabin until last two ports on North Island. Take Glenn 20 to clean your cabin and a plastic bag for the TV remote but even that did not prevent me getting it. Good luck and if you decide to go with Princess take an extra $1000 to cover your medical expenses.

Welcome to cruise critic, thanks for the mini review, it is a real shame you got ill on your cruise. Instead of the extra money, I recommend getting travel insurance that covers the medical bills.

Red backs are the least of your worries.

Now Sydney Funnelweb, White Tail and a few others???

I got bitten by a spider yesterday, while seeking out the rare, elusive and rarely seen oohmedoodle bird in the dense bush in the south west of Western Australia.

At least it was not a red back spider as my bum has not turned red like the red stripe on the said spider's back.

And thank goodness we do not have Funnelweb spiders in the West.

No sympathy from my wife though, whose only concern seems to be how I got bitten on my rear end - and I am not going there!!!

Red backs are the least of your worries.

Now Sydney Funnelweb, White Tail and a few others???

white tails arent as bad as they thought unless you are allergic to them that is they werent the ones that gave people the ulcerated legs etc

When is the best time of the year to cruise this area?

Is it best to do back to back cruises, one focused on Australia, and one on New Zealand, or book a cruise which starts and ends in Australia, and extend several days on land to see more of that continent?

Thx,

Barb and John

i thought Sept Oct was great for NZ and prob Aust too spring time its lovely i went to NZ Oct for a bust trip a few years ago and Oct Nov for my cruise in 2015 was awesome as both times

Take Glenn 20 to clean your cabin and a plastic bag for the TV remote but even that did not prevent me getting it. Good luck and if you decide to go with Princess take an extra $1000 to cover your medical expenses.

Sorry to hear, I can only imagine how bad it was however I hate to burst your bubble but Glen 20 or many other over the counter 'germicides' like hand sanitisers have NO effect on Noro.

The ONLY thing that you can do that kills Noro is a serious session of soap and water.

I am sorry to tell you that the only way Noro got into you was via your OWN simple actions like ... licking your fingers, eating fruit from your hand, or a roll with your hands, touching you mouth, .... I know it sounds like over kill but if the ship does not serve it with utensils or a paper napkin (ice cream cone) don't eat it without utensils.

How you eat a simple thing like a dinner roll without touching it is a challenge for you to overcome. For me it is easy. I just do not!

And even then you can never be sure .......... just assume you have it on you and act accordingly.

Double agree with getting good travel insurance, not just the cheapest!!! Now you have been bitten, check that cruise related issues are covered. It may mean you have to increase the excess and pay a higher premium but you now know how much it can cost to visit the onboard medical facilities.