Why are cruise lines constantly cutting back?

Scotto97

I used to think that only Carnival was cutting back on services, perks etc, but that was when I was sailing exclusively with them, and was only reading the Carnival board here, and elsewhere. But when I gradually became disillusioned with Carnival, I started researching other cruise lines, and read the boards of those other lines here and elsewhere..Guess what..? I see on all other boards, threads that address this same issue.

I think it is just a sign of the times, things cost more, not just for us, but for the cruise lines, and vacation companies. For the most part, I believe most cruise lines are still filling their ships, hence the prices we are seeing. (actually I am seeing), they are not significantly cheaper..therefore, they must still be filling their ships.

Not saying Carnival is doing it better than other cruise lines, but just that it seems to be the norm amongst all other mainstream cruise lines that I have been looking at lately.

Some of these suggestions to unbundle things like the dining room would essentially see cruising return to the horrible days of first, second and third class. Yuck. It would also cost the cruise lines a huge amount on administration of silly fees.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My dad made a good point the other day, when he and my mom took their first cruise it was more of a once-in-a-lifetime proposition or for well off people. Nowadays, it’s something a middle class family can do once or twice a year or every other year on a normal budget. One on hand it’s good that so many people get to experience the pleasure of cruising but we’re fooling ourselves if we think the 1980s or 90s experience is the same as what we are getting today. We’ve become more relaxed and less formal as a culture so some of those changes are simply keeping with the times. But what worries me the most is the cutbacks are going to affect my favorite aspect of the experience, feeling pampered and recieving great service from smart, interesting people. I hope CCL doesn’t keep cutting back on staff levels and doesn’t try to get cheaper but less friendly employees. I see no reason why emerging economies won’t prosper with our economy going gangbusters due to our President and people. CCL seems to want to keep fares low and I hope that doesn’t affect their ability pay the wages and offer the perks to get quality people to work for them.

My dad made a good point the other day, when he and my mom took their first cruise it was more of a once-in-a-lifetime proposition or for well off people. Nowadays, it’s something a middle class family can do once or twice a year or every other year on a normal budget. One on hand it’s good that so many people get to experience the pleasure of cruising but we’re fooling ourselves if we think the 1980s or 90s experience is the same as what we are getting today. We’ve become more relaxed and less formal as a culture so some of those changes are simply keeping with the times. But what worries me the most is the cutbacks are going to affect my favorite aspect of the experience, feeling pampered and recieving great service from smart, interesting people. I hope CCL doesn’t keep cutting back on staff levels and doesn’t try to get cheaper but less friendly employees. I see no reason why emerging economies won’t prosper with our economy going gangbusters due to our President and people. CCL seems to want to keep fares low and I hope that doesn’t affect their ability pay the wages and offer the perks to get quality people to work for them.

There still are luxury cruise lines though - for example you have Seabourn.

At the bottom there is P&O and Carnival.

Princess and Cunard are premium.

The line you choose reflects the experience you want, for example I would never choose P&O or Carnival as they’re low end. I wouldn’t choose RCCL because they’re a floating theme park. NCL and Celebrity are possibilities but I don’t like their itineraries.

Cunard is premium like Princess but a bit too old fashioned for my liking. Princess has the right balance.

We all know that Carnival and other cruise lines have been cutting back on staffing along with various services and offerings that have been found on-board in the past. I won't list them all, but the term "Death by a thousand cuts" has been used frequently on this board.

My question is why.........

The economy is good for the most part and improving.

And cruise line profitability is also fairly robust.

There's more ships than ever sailing, so it seems that competition would promote improvement in the cruise product, but instead it seems to be constantly diminishing in an effort to squeeze out every possible nickel.

There obviously was a time when this trend was the opposite, Companies looked for ways to offer a better experience or there won't be so much to could take away or cut back on these days.

What changed?

To keep from increasing prices which makes cruising affordable for more people.

I absolutely agree. Charge $770 and include dining room. Or charge $700 and only include buffet but charge $10 each time you use dining room. Those that don’t like the dining room can save with the 2nd option. Doesn’t cost any more for those that use the dining room every night. Opens cruising up to more people. This is kind of an extreme example.

Everything seems like an extreme example five to ten years before it becomes reality.

No, not really. Everyone has dinner.
The buffet serves dinner.

I think those who are presuming that such examples are extreme and can never happen are simply setting themselves up for superlative disappointment when they actually do become reality.

This post may have been entered by voice recognition. Please excuse any typographical errors.

Everything seems like an extreme example five to ten years before it becomes reality.

The buffet serves dinner.

I think those who are presuming that such examples are extreme and can never happen are simply setting themselves up for superlative disappointment when they actually do become reality.

It could happen, but if so, I think it would be an option. For example: you could book a cabin for a 7 day cruise for $799 per person including meals in the MDR and other "free" venues. You may have the option of a fare of $699 per person exclusive of free meals meaning buffet, pizza, and deli are your only free choices. You could still dine in a formerly free venue for $25 pp per visit.

Would that interest me? Nope. But it would attract buffet lovers and the budget conscious cruiser.

It could happen, but if so, I think it would be an option. For example: you could book a cabin for a 7 day cruise for $799 per person including meals in the MDR and other "free" venues. You may have the option of a fare of $699 per person exclusive of free meals meaning buffet, pizza, and deli are your only free choices. You could still dine in a formerly free venue for $25 pp per visit.

Would that interest me? Nope. But it would attract buffet lovers and the budget conscious cruiser.

I think you said it better than I did.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

And this is already what NCL does, with their "Free dining/free drinks/free wi-fi, free excursions" promotions. It's also one of the many reasons why we don't book NCL, as they nickel and dime you to death.

CeleBrat

And this is already what NCL does, with their "Free dining/free drinks/free wi-fi, free excursions" promotions. It's also one of the many reasons why we don't book NCL, as they nickel and dime you to death.

CeleBrat

i did 4 cruises with NCL and i never seen this nickel and dime thing, what is this you are talking about? Yes they are some for cost items but this is common in the cruise industry.

Those promotions are optional, you do not have to book a cruise with those promotions. Free wifi is amazing if you really need access to the internet, you do not need to purchase the internet plan. On my upcoming NCL cruise i selected the free dinning package, it only cost me about 13 dollars extra per person to dine in the specialty restaurant 3 times, not a bad deal considering if you bought the dinning package it will be like 90+ dollars. a bargain if you use the promo.

i did 4 cruises with NCL and i never seen this nickel and dime thing, what is this you are talking about? Yes they are some for cost items but this is common in the cruise industry.

Right, NCL is the same as Carnival in the nickel-and-dime department.

Which means competition for best value will keep the cruise lines trying to entice passengers.

I'd be fine with a cruise which included free alcohol. But will I pay a base fare costing an extra $50 per person a day for it? Nope. Free gratuities are fine, but that's worth what? $12 pp/pd. No more. Free excursions? At ship prices or at the real price you pay at the dock? Free wifi? It's already just $5 a day for the social only plan. And if you need more you are probably missing out on the cruise in favor of stuff you can do any old time.

Nothing in life is free, so I am fine with paying a la carte for most stuff.

A box of cereal used to weigh 16 oz. Now they weigh 12 oz for the same price.

I remember that tactic from Marketing class way back in school. As time goes by, they keep the price the same and give you smaller and smaller portions, because people are only noticing the price and not keeping track of what they get for it.

This is really nothing new. Not saying it is good for the consumer, just that it's typical.

Right, NCL is the same as Carnival in the nickel-and-dime department.

Which means competition for best value will keep the cruise lines trying to entice passengers.

I'd be fine with a cruise which included free alcohol. But will I pay a base fare costing an extra $50 per person a day for it? Nope. Free gratuities are fine, but that's worth what? $12 pp/pd. No more. Free excursions? At ship prices or at the real price you pay at the dock? Free wifi? It's already just $5 a day for the social only plan. And if you need more you are probably missing out on the cruise in favor of stuff you can do any old time.

Nothing in life is free, so I am fine with paying a la carte for most stuff.

I’d disagree with your comment about the net. Sometimes the best thing is simply being out at sea.