Jamaica state of emergency

merknerk

We will be visiting Labadee for about the 7th or 8th time in June. I plan to make a point of visiting the marketplace to buy some of the goods from the vendors. Haiti was devastated by an earthquake and now devastated by a hurricane. The vendors have to be screened by RC to be allowed to sell from the marketplace. We've never been mistreated or harassed and they desperately need the money. Good grief.

I think they are safer. But why? Good question. No real reason to be honest. They are screened by RCI? But how good is that? Don’t know.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As we have seen recently, this may not be the case. All of the bus accidents and deaths I've seen in the past year are ship's tours.

We have never had a problem that a friendly "No Thank You" can't handle with Haitians in Labadee, but I don't typically buy trinkets I don't want or need just to help them out. I'd rather give my charity dollars to reputable organizations like Red Cross for relief efforts there.

To those who say it’s not really a big deal. What do you do in Jamaica when the ship is in port and there is unrest/ state of emergency? Would you go on an excursion? Does the ship allow excursions to take place? I have an excursion I am looking forward to but do not want to risk my neck.

We will be visiting Labadee for about the 7th or 8th time in June. I plan to make a point of visiting the marketplace to buy some of the goods from the vendors. Haiti was devastated by an earthquake and now devastated by a hurricane. The vendors have to be screened by RC to be allowed to sell from the marketplace. We've never been mistreated or harassed and they desperately need the money. Good grief.

Sorry, but i dont't trust RCs screening.

As we have seen recently, this may not be the case. All of the bus accidents and deaths I've seen in the past year are ship's tours.

We have never had a problem that a friendly "No Thank You" can't handle with Haitians in Labadee, but I don't typically buy trinkets I don't want or need just to help them out. I'd rather give my charity dollars to reputable organizations like Red Cross for relief efforts there.

The Red Cross did nothing for Haiti. They only build on house with all that money... huge scandal please research. Rather give by buying directly from the artisan at least you know where the money is going.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I love Labadee but will never go back again to the promenade vendor area Walked through there with one of my sons (he was 16 at the time) and we were harassed by 2 of the Haitians. They were persistent I trying to get our attention. I kindly said, no thank you. They continued to follow us through the marketplace and one of them grabbed my sons arm and was trying to pull him away from me to force him to go see his goods.

Awful experience. I have done volunteer work in Haiti in the past and have always had a place in my heart for Haitians. We don’t venture off the beaches now.

Wow. A lot of hateful and judgmental comments here. Does anyone here even know anyone that is Jamaican?? I know many Jamaicans quit well. I’ve had several stay in my home. We spend our summers on Mackinac Island at the same Resort for the last 20 years. The majority of the employees are from Jamaica. They spend the summer here working. Many have become part of our family. I have never met such beautiful, caring, unselfish, loving people in all my life. And yes, we know them quite well. My children were attached to them and would cry when we left the island. Our son had his wedding on the island and they were all there. My daughter was badly injured one night and we had our son take her bike back to the Resort while she was getting stitches in her forehead. He told a Jamaican friend what had happened. Several hours later after midnight we came back and there they all were waiting to make sure she was ok. They had all brought gifts to her. She got an oversized Jamaica t-shirt, a Jamaican flag, a stuffed animal..... and oh how they doted on her.

I’m disgusted that people on here call them ugly. If we have tourists in the USA do we warn them not to go to the South side of Chicago?? Or downtown Detroit? Seriously! Our country has crime too! But to make a general statement about all Jamaican people saying they are ugly is completely judgmental and hateful. Those who make these generalized statements are truly the ugly ones. My Jamaican family is far far better then many people on here.

STOP THE HATE!!

Wow. A lot of hateful and judgmental comments here. Does anyone here even know anyone that is Jamaican?? I know many Jamaicans quit well. I’ve had several stay in my home. We spend our summers on Mackinac Island at the same Resort for the last 20 years. The majority of the employees are from Jamaica. They spend the summer here working. Many have become part of our family. I have never met such beautiful, caring, unselfish, loving people in all my life. And yes, we know them quite well. My children were attached to them and would cry when we left the island. Our son had his wedding on the island and they were all there. My daughter was badly injured one night and we had our son take her bike back to the Resort while she was getting stitches in her forehead. He told a Jamaican friend what had happened. Several hours later after midnight we came back and there they all were waiting to make sure she was ok. They had all brought gifts to her. She got an oversized Jamaica t-shirt, a Jamaican flag, a stuffed animal..... and oh how they doted on her.

I’m disgusted that people on here call them ugly. If we have tourists in the USA do we warn them not to go to the South side of Chicago?? Or downtown Detroit? Seriously! Our country has crime too! But to make a general statement about all Jamaican people saying they are ugly is completely judgmental and hateful. Those who make these generalized statements are truly the ugly ones. My Jamaican family is far far better then many people on here.

STOP THE HATE!!

Agreed!! Thank you for saying that!! We have enough hate and ugly coming out of Washington, we do not need it here.

Not only a fence separates the general population but also armed guards equipped with AK47’s. I’ve seen them several times at the top gate by the zip line

If there is the need for guards with AKs that is reason enough not to bother stopping there.

It's the norm these days. You will see the same in the US at the port when you get on the ship.

BonVoyage

Dawna

What a wonderful gesture! We always buy at the marketplace. We are happy to overpay for the items they are selling. I have a pair of earrings I bought there and I took a selfie with the sweet young woman who sold them to me. I think of her every time I wear them. They need to make a living too. Here we are visiting their beautiful country, and spending thousands of dollars, and they are barely surviving. I don’t understand why people are afraid of them.

AND since you only have 20 posts here, you should be made aware that any and all links to that particular site are bound to get you nothing but abject (and well-deserved) ridicule.

STOP THE HATE!!

No one is saying that the majority of Jamaican people are bad but let’s look at the facts; the murder rate in Jamaica is one of the highest in the world and drug usage is rampant on the island. As they say, you are entitled to your opinions but not to your own facts.

By the way, if I had visitors I would strongly advise them not to go to the south side of Chicago, why? Because of the facts

• Like 1

Jamaica is sitting at a level 2 advisory at the moment. We visited Montego Bay and really enjoyed our time there (we actually wandered outside the 'tourist areas'). Yes, you should exercise caution, this is important to do ANY time you travel anywhere. Book excursions with reputable excursion companies and a polite but firm 'no thank you' will do with pushy vendors and you will be fine. Remember to not dress flashy or carry anything valuable openly. Basically, be smart.

We truly enjoyed the individuals we met there and did not feel unsafe at all, however, we frequently travel to areas that many consider to be 'unsafe' and have learned over the years how to appropriately engage in these areas.

In my opinion, a level 2 advisory is nothing to truly be concerned about, and you should enjoy your time on the island. Again, book your excursions through reputable vendors (do it through the ship if you are that concerned) and enjoy the beautiful country.

STOP THE HATE!!

This is silly. No one is making any generalized statements about the entirety of the Jamaican population. The comments about people being "ugly" in Jamaica were about specific experiences cruisers had in Jamaica with people being ugly and making them feel unsafe/harassed. It can happen in any port, but it seems to happen to a lot more often in particular ports (Jamaica being one of them).

Regardless of the quality of people you personally know in Jamaica, it is a fact that it is a more dangerous port than others. Right now, in particular. It is historically not a very stable environment, and (as others have pointed out) the violence and crime rates are ridiculously high. Doesn't mean there aren't good people living there, but the facts are the facts. When considering the safety of the port, and whether some segments of the population have made it an "ugly" place to travel, acknowledging these facts isn't "HATE."

And yes, there are definitely places in the U.S. where tourists are advised not to go. Plenty of dangerous places, as well as places where the chances or running into people being "ugly" is high.

• Like 1

We are leaving on Feb 11th on a charter cruise on Navigator of the Seas. We were supposed to go to Falmouth, but were notified on Friday that due to the unrest there, we will be going to Coco Cay instead. I am not sure if it was the cruise line or the people running the charter that made this decision. I'm a little bummed out, because I have never been to Jamaica and was looking forward to it.

The Red Cross did nothing for Haiti. They only build on house with all that money... huge scandal please research. Rather give by buying directly from the artisan at least you know where the money is going.

Yes--interesting to see Red Cross and reputable in the same sentence.