Shore Excursions for Bermuda and Caribbean

casone

We are a family of 5 with three teenage boys. We are traveling on Anthem on May 31. Any recommendations for shore excursions for the following ports: Bermuda (Philipsburg), San Juan, St. Maarten, Labadee? We have booked the Devil’s Isle snorkel for Bermuda, but I am wondering if the water will be cold? Anyone done the Window Cave adventure or horseback rides in San Juan? Seems like some find San Juan a nice place to wander around, so maybe we don’t need to book an excursion. Also wondering if Kim Sha beach is a good choice in St. Maarten. Seems like this might be a change since the hurricane. Thanks for the advice!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The water in Bermuda should be fine for swimming the end of May as the locals start going to the beach from Memorial Day on.

When you get off Anthem, at the end of the dock, there'll be many tour operators offering all kinds of tours, some had tours around San Juan for $10 pp. for an hour. Last year we did a 2 hour tour with them for $20 pp., we were pleased with the tour.

Currently some homes and businesses in Old San Juan are still without electricity and you can see some a few buildings have no roofs. It was still an enjoyable day for us in OSJ, contributed a bit to the economy with shopping and dinner and drinks, a little sad knowing what these people went through and many losing everything. Looking forward to going back in a few weeks.

We also stopped in Philipsburg St Maarten that week and the teenage boys may enjoy Maho beach to see the planes coming in, plenty of you-tube videos out there. Currently most of Maho beach has disappeared due to the hurricane and most likely the beach will be back within time. You can easily take a taxi over to Maho, have a drink or a bite to eat at the Sunset Bar & Grill while watching the planes land and take off, plenty of taxis to take you back to the port.

Landing----https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jW9wk_g9QY

Landing----https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBFimJqKZbw

Take off------https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pR2-dKYHQRA

Whatever you decide to do, enjoy your sailing and your time on Anthem, she's our favorite ship :D

Snorkeling in Bermuda can be good or bad depending on the weather the previous days. If the water is rough, you won't see much. On a good day, it's wonderful.

If you decide to go horseback riding, keep in mind that you will have to report that to customs when you arrive back into port. They will want to see your shoes you wore. Best to pack them separately.

Snorkeling in Bermuda can be good or bad depending on the weather the previous days. If the water is rough, you won't see much. On a good day, it's wonderful.

If you decide to go horseback riding, keep in mind that you will have to report that to customs when you arrive back into port. They will want to see your shoes you wore. Best to pack them separately.

I think we will skip the horses. Sounds like a lot of trouble!

The water in Bermuda should be fine for swimming the end of May as the locals start going to the beach from Memorial Day on.

When you get off Anthem, at the end of the dock, there'll be many tour operators offering all kinds of tours, some had tours around San Juan for $10 pp. for an hour. Last year we did a 2 hour tour with them for $20 pp., we were pleased with the tour.

Currently some homes and businesses in Old San Juan are still without electricity and you can see some a few buildings have no roofs. It was still an enjoyable day for us in OSJ, contributed a bit to the economy with shopping and dinner and drinks, a little sad knowing what these people went through and many losing everything. Looking forward to going back in a few weeks.

We also stopped in Philipsburg St Maarten that week and the teenage boys may enjoy Maho beach to see the planes coming in, plenty of you-tube videos out there. Currently most of Maho beach has disappeared due to the hurricane and most likely the beach will be back within time. You can easily take a taxi over to Maho, have a drink or a bite to eat at the Sunset Bar & Grill while watching the planes land and take off, plenty of taxis to take you back to the port.

Landing----https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jW9wk_g9QY

Landing----https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBFimJqKZbw

Take off------https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pR2-dKYHQRA

Whatever you decide to do, enjoy your sailing and your time on Anthem, she's our favorite ship :D

Great info...thank you! Might have other Anthem questions!

Your kids might like Power Rafting in St Maarten. Taken this twice with Trevor and Melissa through two different cruise lines. Good snorkeling trip plus beach stop (floating bar), Maho stop to watch planes and about 1/2 hour at 50mph coming back. Not clear from web site and Facebook whether they are up and running again post hurricane, though.

Your kids might like Power Rafting in St Maarten. Taken this twice with Trevor and Melissa through two different cruise lines. Good snorkeling trip plus beach stop (floating bar), Maho stop to watch planes and about 1/2 hour at 50mph coming back. Not clear from web site and Facebook whether they are up and running again post hurricane, though.

Thanks for the suggestion. My husband actually looked at this excursion. I think you are talking about the Rhino Rider? The problem is that there are 5 of us, and only 2 of us are over 18 (boys are 16, 15, and 13). That leaves someone without a ride (you have to be 18 to drive and 1 person can ride with the driver). I don’t see a way around that issue.