Cabin selection - help!!

klh-or

My family will be going on our first cruise in August 2006 to Alaska, likely aboard the Norwegian Star. I have some pretty basic questions (please excuse my lack of ship lingo knowledge):

Advantages of:

1) Higher versus lower deck (we will have an economy inside cabin)?

2) Front versus rear of ship?

3) Left versus right of ship?

Thank you!

General rules are: the higher up you go, the more you feel the motion of the ship; the further front and back the cabins are, the more you feel the motion of the ship. Since you're going to be in an inside room, it makes no difference as to port or starboard for the cabin location. But, if you had an outside cabin or balcony, you would want a starboard (right) side cabin for northbound Alaska cruises and a port (left) side cabin for southbound Alaska cruises.

Kitty has given you wonderful advice. I prefer being on a middle deck and as close to the middle of the shp as possible.

While we like to be near stairs/elevators, we don't want to be right next to them as they could be a little nosier so our preference would be to be say five cabins away more or less.

Again, as mid ship as you can be the better.

Keith

We like to be near elevators, mid ship. Then its easier to get to the deck and to the bow or stern of the ship. We've had balcony cabins & suites but have gotten so we like inside cabins - we don't know if sun is up so tend to sleep later!

Archived