Taxis at Barcelona Airport and Port?

bakersdozen12

I will be sailing out of Barcelona in a few months. We are flying in a few days early and renting a car. We will be picking it up at the airport and then dropping it back off there the day of the cruise. My question is, how easy is it to get a taxi from the airport? I know in the US it’s quite easy. But I’m wondering if we should just book the cruise line’s shuttle to port that runs on embarkation day.

Same question concerning the day we get off. We need to leave the port as early as possible for a 12:40 flight home. Will a taxi be easy to get? Or would the cruise line shuttle be the better option? My only fear with that is I’ve heard stories that it takes forever for the shuttle to leave port because it has to wait to fill up.

Cruise line is Carnival, in case it matters.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Plenty of taxis at the airport taxi rank and at the port and the taxi service is good. There is a fixed rate for the airport/port route but I can't remember how much it is. Anyway, unless you are travelling solo, it will probably be cheaper to take a taxi than the cruise line shuttle.

At the port, they have staff controlling the taxi line at the rank, which is very helpful. Obviously, the earlier you get off the ship, the smaller the queue for taxis will be.

Plenty of taxis at the airport taxi rank and at the port and the taxi service is good. There is a fixed rate for the airport/port route but I can't remember how much it is. ...

Flat rate of 39 Euros, same as last year.

It's very easy, there's a taxi rank of 1200 cars (yes, 1200!) at the airport -it's hidden from view, but trust me it's there- during the day, and only in very few occasions you'll have to wait more than a few minutes for one. The taxi marshall manages the queue and is in touch with the cars in the taxi rank so when the line of cars by the terminal empties, more cars are called upon and within minutes you have a new line of cars.

The taxi rank at the port is far smaller, but when ships arrive/depart, radio taxis are constantly bringing and taking passengers as drivers communicate with each other. This is not to say that sometimes, especially when there are too many big events happening at the same time in the city -and it does happen from time to time- there might be some temporary shortages at the major taxi ranks; or when traffic is heavy in the city. Keep in mind the city has 11000 taxis, compared to 13000 in NY, but the later has nearly four times the population of Barcelona.

Thanks everyone! This is most helpful. I think we will go with the taxi option, as it will be much cheaper. The shuttle option for the two of us, both ways, would be $130+ USD. We will definitely save money just getting a taxi.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I always explain taxi is often cheaper than private transfer... a taxi from the airport to the centre is around 40€-50€ tops per car, not per person, and it fits 4 passengers.

Those on a budget have even cheaper and equally good alternatives from the airport, such as the Aerobus (under 6€ p.p.), or even the regular #46 bus to Plaça Espanya then another bus or the metro anywhere else, for 2.15€ p.p.

Transportation is something that's inexpensive in Barcelona and it has an excellent network.

Finally, those going directly from the airport to the port or vice versa should know that the taxi ride is a fixed 39€, for everything else taxi is metered.

I always explain taxi is often cheaper than private transfer... a taxi from the airport to the centre is around 40€-50€ tops per car, not per person, and it fits 4 passengers.

Those on a budget have even cheaper and equally good alternatives from the airport, such as the Aerobus (under 6€ p.p.), or even the regular #46 bus to Plaça Espanya then another bus or the metro anywhere else, for 2.15€ p.p.

Transportation is something that's inexpensive in Barcelona and it has an excellent network.

Finally, those going directly from the airport to the port or vice versa should know that the taxi ride is a fixed 39€, for everything else taxi is metered.

Enric, I need to go to Placa de Catalunya from the airport. Would you recommend the Renfe R2 train? It seems cheaper than taxis and Aerobus for 4 people. It only takes 4 T10 tickets. I know I will have to take the shuttle from T1 to T2, then go to the Airport Train Station just outside of T2. Is it worth the trouble for 4 people? How about time wise? Thanks!

... firstly you should know that it's far cheaper than you have calculated... you DO NOT need four T-10... but one. A T-10 is a card which allows 10 journeys on most (not all!) public transportation means in the city (and also the TRAIN to the airport, not the metro, the metro to the airport requires a special ticket). The card CAN be used by several people, thus, you cancel one trip for each passenger. This means that you can travel from the airport to Plaça Catalunya for less than 1€ each. Time-wise it's a bit trickier... the train from the airport takes 30' give or take but departs only twice every hour. Furthermore, the stop you need to get off is Passeig de Gràcia -in front of Casa Batlló- and from there, there are four blocks to Plaça Catalunya (a block = 80-90 yards). Summarizing, say that it takes you 15' or so from the time you are outside terminal 1 to the station in terminal 2 (shuttle bus + walking the long corridor), say you're lucky enough to catch a train departing a few minutes after you arrive at the station, then add the four blocks mentioned above... your best case scenario would be something in the figure of 1h or so. HOWEVER, worst case scenario, say you need more time to figure your way to the station, that you just missed the train when you arrive and have to wait for the next, etc. that could result in a figure more in the ballpark of 1:45 or 2h.

Another cheap alternative is to take bus #46 in terminal 1 and use the T-10 as well. Note you'll have to purchase the card at the tobacco shop outside the terminal, after passing customs, to your right. It's open from very early in the morning until 8pm (10ish in summer). Bus #46 terminus is in Plaça Espanya, and from there you can catch metro L3 (green) to Plaça Catalunya. It's easy enough, but if you are not accustomed to public transportation in a big city then it can be a bit more complicated as you might have to get your bearings first. That would take you also about an hour (best case).

For those interested in what the T-10 travelcard is and how it works... http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187497-i44-k7479842-Transport-Barcelona_Catalonia.html#58496475]

Comparison: by taxi 35-40€ (35'), by bus 1€p.p.* (1h), by train 1€p.p.*(1h), by Aerobus 6€p.p. (30'). (*) with a T-10 card, otherwise single ticket is 2.15p.p.

Lastly... there's metro to the airport (line L9), but it's useless to most visitors as it serves the northern part of the city. It's indeed possible to take L9 and transfer later to another metro to the centre... but time-wise it makes little sense as you're not really saving much.

MY OPINION: to be frank, after a long flight I value speed to my hotel so if cost is reasonable I have no doubts: a taxi. If, however, I am on a budget, then I'd do the train, but assume the time it'll take you will be at least double than by taxi.

Edited by EnricM

... firstly you should know that it's far cheaper than you have calculated... you DO NOT need four T-10... but one. A T-10 is a card which allows 10 journeys on most (not all!) public transportation means in the city (and also the TRAIN to the airport, not the metro, the metro to the airport requires a special ticket). The card CAN be used by several people, thus, you cancel one trip for each passenger. This means that you can travel from the airport to Plaça Catalunya for less than 1€ each. Time-wise it's a bit trickier... the train from the airport takes 30' give or take but departs only twice every hour. Furthermore, the stop you need to get off is Passeig de Gràcia -in front of Casa Batlló- and from there, there are four blocks to Plaça Catalunya (a block = 80-90 yards). Summarizing, say that it takes you 15' or so from the time you are outside terminal 1 to the station in terminal 2 (shuttle bus + walking the long corridor), say you're lucky enough to catch a train departing a few minutes after you arrive at the station, then add the four blocks mentioned above... your best case scenario would be something in the figure of 1h or so. HOWEVER, worst case scenario, say you need more time to figure your way to the station, that you just missed the train when you arrive and have to wait for the next, etc. that could result in a figure more in the ballpark of 1:45 or 2h.

Another cheap alternative is to take bus #46 in terminal 1 and use the T-10 as well. Note you'll have to purchase the card at the tobacco shop outside the terminal, after passing customs, to your right. It's open from very early in the morning until 8pm (10ish in summer). Bus #46 terminus is in Plaça Espanya, and from there you can catch metro L3 (green) to Plaça Catalunya. It's easy enough, but if you are not accustomed to public transportation in a big city then it can be a bit more complicated as you might have to get your bearings first. That would take you also about an hour (best case).

For those interested in what the T-10 travelcard is and how it works... http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187497-i44-k7479842-Transport-Barcelona_Catalonia.html#58496475]

Comparison: by taxi 35-40€ (35'), by bus 1€p.p.* (1h), by train 1€p.p.*(1h), by Aerobus 6€p.p. (30'). (*) with a T-10 card, otherwise single ticket is 2.15p.p.

Lastly... there's metro to the airport (line L9), but it's useless to most visitors as it serves the northern part of the city. It's indeed possible to take L9 and transfer later to another metro to the centre... but time-wise it makes little sense as you're not really saving much.

MY OPINION: to be frank, after a long flight I value speed to my hotel so if cost is reasonable I have no doubts: a taxi. If, however, I am on a budget, then I'd do the train, but assume the time it'll take you will be at least double than by taxi.

Enric, you're fabulous! So much valuable and useful information! Yes, I totally agree with the speed to the hotel comment. It's just that one of our 4 members has never been to Barcelona. I thought it would be nice to give her a "local" feel (not that we're THAT much more "local" than her! :D) I also get scared off by my friend's taxi experience. He went from his hotel to the cruise port (not a fixed fare). The driver kept pressing the additional charge button, counting every piece of his luggage including hand-carry sized and backpacks. He was saved by the hotel's bellboy later. The bellboy came out to talk to the driver in their own language, and the driver reversed most of the charges except the big luggage. So I'm nervous about getting a taxi if it's not a fixed fare. :(

We are arriving into BCN on Sept. 21, 2018. I read somewhere, (although I don't remember where) there is a large protest that has been organized for that day. If that is the case, will it be difficult to get transportation away from the airport into the city center? We are staying near Playa de Catalunya.

Thanks!!

One needs to read the whole article, not just the headlines my dear....

1.) It's not a protest, it's a remembrance rally, it's OUR National Day here in Catalonia, much like your 4th of July.

2.) It's not on the 21st... Catalonia's National Day is Sept 11th... to remember the fall of our nation and our liberties on Sept 11th 1714 to the Spanish and French invaders.

3.) The whole day is full of activities in different parts of the city: flower offerings to the fallen heroes, folk gatherings (performances of human towers, also sardana dancers...), historical reenactments and a large patriotic rally in the afternoon. Due the complex logistics of organising such massive event, the location of the rally, however, is not announced until a few weeks in advance and it changes from time to time to different parts of the city.

Edited by EnricM

@CH_ca, you shouldn't be wary... the city has 11000 taxis (compare to 13000 in NY) and among such large numbers there are always a few rotten apples, in Barcelona, in New York and in any other big city with a large fleet of taxis. But this is not the norm, in general term, taxi people are honest.

In any case, do familiarize yourself with the way the taxi fares work and then you'll be able to spot any of those undesirables and fight back any attempt to charge you more. These were the fares for 2017, the ones for 2018 aren't much different: http://taxi.amb.cat/documents/956832/1007019/Tarifa+Taxi_2017/23e065d2-2639-4731-a6c4-edbcf7c3df22

Note that, in general terms, you pay what it's shown in the meter plus any applicable supplement (see the fares). Everything is computerized and the driver, if asked, will print you (should print you, anyway) a ticket out of the onboard computer. Thus everything is registered and accountable for. Typically, when arriving at the destination the meter will show a figure and then the driver will type in the codes of any applicable supplement -if any-, resulting in a final figure.

If you're familiar with the type of supplements -and there aren't many- you'll be able to realize whether he's overcharging or not... and, if in doubt, asking politely why is he charging this or that supplement should yield you a proper explanation. If not convinced you can always place a complaint at the Taxi Authority: http://taxi.amb.cat/en/usuari/queixes but DO remember to ask for a receipt and make sure the taxi license matches the one that's shown on the door of the taxi.

• 2 months later...
@CH_ca, you shouldn't be wary... the city has 11000 taxis (compare to 13000 in NY) and among such large numbers there are always a few rotten apples, in Barcelona, in New York and in any other big city with a large fleet of taxis. But this is not the norm, in general term, taxi people are honest.

In any case, do familiarize yourself with the way the taxi fares work and then you'll be able to spot any of those undesirables and fight back any attempt to charge you more. These were the fares for 2017, the ones for 2018 aren't much different: http://taxi.amb.cat/documents/956832/1007019/Tarifa+Taxi_2017/23e065d2-2639-4731-a6c4-edbcf7c3df22

Note that, in general terms, you pay what it's shown in the meter plus any applicable supplement (see the fares). Everything is computerized and the driver, if asked, will print you (should print you, anyway) a ticket out of the onboard computer. Thus everything is registered and accountable for. Typically, when arriving at the destination the meter will show a figure and then the driver will type in the codes of any applicable supplement -if any-, resulting in a final figure.

If you're familiar with the type of supplements -and there aren't many- you'll be able to realize whether he's overcharging or not... and, if in doubt, asking politely why is he charging this or that supplement should yield you a proper explanation. If not convinced you can always place a complaint at the Taxi Authority: http://taxi.amb.cat/en/usuari/queixes but DO remember to ask for a receipt and make sure the taxi license matches the one that's shown on the door of the taxi.

Thanks for this info. For a airport to port ride, what would be consider the correct gratuity/tip for 4 people, or do we not tip? I am accustomed to tipping here in the U.S and but I see a lot of varying opinions.

Edited by Annede07
Adding to post and correcting spelling.

Concur, we have always found taxis to be a great way to get around Barcelona, especially when there are three or four of us.

Concur, we have always found taxis to be a great way to get around Barcelona, especially when there are three or four of us.

Last time we went to Barcelona we had a hotel with a metro stop directly outside. We took a metro from the railway station.

I have to say it was really easy. There were just the two of us and we did not have heavy bags. Despite that I wondered if it was really worth it. We were on holiday and a taxi would not really have been that much more expensive.

As to tips for taxi drivers we might round up to the nearest note e.g. say "keep the change" and give a 20 euro note for a 18.50 fare. If that does not work out we would give about 10% but it does depend how helpful the driver has been.

• 4 weeks later...
One needs to read the whole article, not just the headlines my dear....

1.) It's not a protest, it's a remembrance rally, it's OUR National Day here in Catalonia, much like your 4th of July.

2.) It's not on the 21st... Catalonia's National Day is Sept 11th... to remember the fall of our nation and our liberties on Sept 11th 1714 to the Spanish and French invaders.

3.) The whole day is full of activities in different parts of the city: flower offerings to the fallen heroes, folk gatherings (performances of human towers, also sardana dancers...), historical reenactments and a large patriotic rally in the afternoon. Due the complex logistics of organising such massive event, the location of the rally, however, is not announced until a few weeks in advance and it changes from time to time to different parts of the city.

Just saw this...we arrive in Barcelona on Sept 9 and will need transport from our hotel (Arc La Rambla) to the cruise port on Sept 11. Do you think we will have trouble getting a taxi? My husband is mobility challenged, and travels with a folding scooter.

Thanks!

Jane

We have always taken a cab. Never, ever bothered with a pre-arranged transfer or the overpriced cruise line offering.

Our experience is that the taxis are plentiful. Last time we disembarked early, walked off with our bags, hopped in a cab, and were through the formalities by 10AM for a 12:30 flight. We could have disembarked even earlier and made the 10:30 flight to LHR however connecting flight in LHR to our final destination was the same for either flight.

We have used the bus and the train to get from the city to the airport. Both were fine. Train station was close to our hotel. If you are going by train from the city to the airport you need to be very careful which train you board. They arrive and depart on the same track, often at a few moments interval. We almost got on the wrong train, asked someone, and were able to jump off before the doors closed!

Another option is to reserve a shuttle service before you arrive. I've found AirportShuttles, Rideways and ShuttleDirect are good places to start. They may be a bit more expensive than a taxi but the price includes luggage and tip and they will meet you after the luggage claim. You can also reserve a larger vehicle or make a request if you need extra help.

EnricM - we will be arriving Barcelona about 4:00 p.m. in October and will be staying at an apartment (Nou de la Rambla 15). I was wondering what the traffic will be like on a work day from airport to apartment? We are concerned if we take a taxi there could be lots of extra heavy traffic and perhaps lots of stop and go traffic making the taxi fare higher. Any information you could provide would be helpful. TIA.