Changed a port

callmehalia

I understand things happen and ports change - but this still seems odd. We’ve had a letter to our stateroom saying we aren’t going to Casablanca on Friday and are going to Tangier instead because of adverse weather conditions. I can’t see any evidence that there’s a weather issue; does NCL just use weather as a catch-all when they don’t want to say what the real issue is?

If the wind is too strong, the ship can not dock. look on youtube for ships breaking their mooring lines due to heavy winds

If the port area received heavy rains, they could be flooding that might make it unsafe for people to get off the ship. Last year or so, i had a port stop get canceled due to floods

If the wind is too strong, the ship can not dock. look on youtube for ships breaking their mooring lines due to heavy winds

If the port area received heavy rains, they could be flooding that might make it unsafe for people to get off the ship. Last year or so, i had a port stop get canceled due to floods

I'm not on this ship, nor do I know how extreme conditions have to be to put mooring lines at risk, but according to weather.com Casablanca has received 1/2" of rain in the last 3 weeks and winds for Friday are forecast at 10-20mph out of the NNE.

It is not always the weather conditions where you are now that matters. Often it is the forecast conditions of your destination. Time to take your tin foil hat off.

Thanks for that insight. I never would thought to check the forecast for Casablanca. I thought looking out the window here in Barcelona would be enough. [emoji849]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perhaps, October. But it’s looking to be quite nice all along and we’re not really travelling very far. Especially as we’re not going around Morocco. Looking at it further, they’ve switched this port the last two or three cruises. 🤷🏼*♂️

Looks like a great itinerary otherwise. Tangier is 300 miles north, so there isn't enough time to visit Casablanca via bus or rental car, unfortunately.

Yep, no time for Casablanca, but we’ll make the most of Tangier. There’s not much there so it’ll be an easy day at least, instead of all the running around Casablanca and Rabat that we planned.

Casablanca is notorious for having rough seas on entry or exit from the port. I remember being warned of it beforehand when we went there a few years ago.

Maybe it is more to do with sea conditions than the weather itself.

Looking at the weather Friday for both ports they look very similar.

I suspect it is more about potential risks, travel warnings have been issued by the UK and USA regarding travel to Casablanca. Oddly enough Tangier is also on the travel warning, so who knows.

Meet and greet was no help - the NCL people were in and out in five minutes. We’ve had a strong headwind all night so maybe that’s it? We switched captains in Barcelona, and the cruise director switched tonight, with Dave leaving the ship tomorrow. I’m on a cruise so life could be worse!

Trying to keep calm! Tangier was, erm, yeah. And right now we’re sailing past Funchal, where we’re meant to be, because another ship is in our berth and can’t leave as it is too windy for them. So two days at sea and we’re done. Luckily I have a couple of days in Malaga before real life beckons.