Beach at grand turk

MajorDewey

Have been there a bunch of times, most recently a week ago today! Have NEVER paid a dime for a chair or umbrella. I took a walk way down the beach, about 1/2 way between beginning of beach by pier and Jack's Shack and I could see "kids" who "owned" chairs and umbrellas asking for $. So that is what some may be talking about/experiencing. We always get a lounger right by the pier. We have been lucky to always be either the only ship in port, or the lst one. Magic came in about an hour after us and maybe those pax had to pay for the chairs that were available. My advice is to be the lst off the ship and park your fanny on a free lounger! Plenty of them at the pool at M'Ville too, but not as many umbrellas.

We were on the Magic last week (second ship in port). Got off the ship early and had no problems finding 4 chairs with the green umbrellas a few rows off the beach. Seems like a lot of folks either wanted the front rows and paid for them or just didn't know better. Those with the green umbrellas are owned by Grand Turk Cruise Center, says so right on them. And they're definitely free!

Somewhat handicapped DH makes walking down the beach left or right for a half mile a bit hard, but we will do what we have to do, to not pay for a free chair.

Keith-loved the pictures DH hopes you didn't take them with a cell phone LOL, what camera do you use?

Somewhat handicapped DH makes walking down the beach left or right for a half mile a bit hard, but we will do what we have to do, to not pay for a free chair.

Keith-loved the pictures DH hopes you didn't take them with a cell phone LOL, what camera do you use?

No need to walk far. Free chairs and umbrellas are right there by the pier.

We were on the Magic last week (second ship in port). Got off the ship early and had no problems finding 4 chairs with the green umbrellas a few rows off the beach. Seems like a lot of folks either wanted the front rows and paid for them or just didn't know better. Those with the green umbrellas are owned by Grand Turk Cruise Center, says so right on them. And they're definitely free![/quote

You were following us all over the place! SJ and GT lol. I have a bunch of pictures of you sailing in to GT. That is why I took my walk down the beach and noticed the for fee chairs and umbrellas! (we were on the Pride)

Two other good things to do in Grand Turk are the FlowRider (fairly inexpensive activity and most fun I have ever had on an activity) and free snorkeling right off the beach (go around the point to the right). I have posted pretty detailed information about both of these on the Grand Turk board.

I have been to Grand Turk about 10 times and have never paid for a chair nor been asked to do so. I have gotten off the ship early and late- still never a problem- however I am not interested in umbrellas so maybe that is the issue. I prefer either going right or left up to Jacks Shack as it is less crowded but sometimes stay close if the weather isn't great to be able to get quickly back to the ship. You can also take an inexpensive cab to Bohio, which is a nice secluded beach with water sports, beach snorkeling and a bar and restaurant.

My husband and I also went to Jack's Shack when we were there, had a swim, bought some food and used our free coupon for a rum drink. We got the coupon through Jack's Shack website but it may not still be there. Next day we were so glad we had not stayed at Margaritaville because a lot of people who were there were sick and confined to their cabins while Carnival figured out what happened. Turned out the drink machines had not been cleaned properly.

There are menu pics on trip advisor, but not knowing the date there's no way to know if they are accurate. Seems the range is $8-10 for mixed drinks, less for beer.

Free rum shot coupons are on the Jack's Shack website. Just google Jack's Shack Grand Turk.

Lots of pics on the Jack's Shack social media page. Everyone loves Topher.

Does the beach right beside the pier with the free loungers have any opportunities to buy drinks and/or food? I know I can find drinks and food if I keep walking towards Margaritaville and Jack's Shack, but wondering if I can stay close to the pier and ship

Thanks!

Does the beach right beside the pier with the free loungers have any opportunities to buy drinks and/or food? I know I can find drinks and food if I keep walking towards Margaritaville and Jack's Shack, but wondering if I can stay close to the pier and ship

When on the pier facing the shore....the beach and loungers to the right are not close to food and drink services, although they're not too far from the entrance plaza and Margaritaville is just beyond the plaza. All of those loungers are free.

The beach and loungers to the left are AT Margaritaville; you pretty much have to walk through M'Ville to get to the beach; you wouldn't be "walking toward" Margaritaville. So you'd be staying "close to the pier and ship" while having access to those loungers. Note that while the "GTCC" loungers on that beach are free (the vast majority), there will be about two rows of loungers close to the water that locals will charge for.

Jack's Shack is further down the beach from the pier and past Margaritaville.

You'll be able to see all of this easily from your ship on the port side as you approach (ALL cruise ships must dock facing forward at Grand Turk). As you get close you'll see a half-sunken ship, then a small commercial pier, then a beach, then the cruise-ship pier. Governor's Beach is the one behind the half-sunken ship. Just to the right of the commercial pier is Jack's Shack. There will be some other small bars and stuff along that beach, and then Margaritaville is just to the left of the cruise pier. Aside from some private islands, It's one of the easiest port-calls in the world. Carnival did well when they built it.

How is your husband doing now? I lost a good section of my ear to basal cell recently. We also were in Grand Turk about 10 days ago. You will find loungers and even clam shells to the right. However, the open side was directly in the sun. You will not find adequate shade over there. If you all are comfortable being elbow to elbow to everyone your best bet would be left side under one of the hundreds of umbrellas (I'm not sure about cost).

Edit: I think the picture in this thread may have been prior to the hurricane. Not that much shade to be found anywhere.

Two other good things to do in Grand Turk are the FlowRider (fairly inexpensive activity and most fun I have ever had on an activity) and free snorkeling right off the beach (go around the point to the right). I have posted pretty detailed information about both of these on the Grand Turk board.

This is pretty much our plan for Grand Turk. Flowrider and Margaritaville when we get off the ship. And then head to Jack's shack afterwards unless our tailbones and ego are too bruised to make it. LOL! ;p

This is pretty much our plan for Grand Turk. Flowrider and Margaritaville when we get off the ship. And then head to Jack's shack afterwards unless our tailbones and ego are too bruised to make it. LOL! ;p
LOL ! I think you'll be fine, it really doesn't hurt, it's like landing on a mattress. Falling is my dismount procedure, LOLOLOL. If I can do it, anyone can ! I'm over 50 years old and not all that athletic or coordinated (think Ally McBeal).

We were just there last week. We went to the beach on the right, just past the plaza area. There was a little restaurant where we could get drinks and restrooms were right behind the beach. It looked like Keith's pics, although maybe not quite that shady, loungers that I saw were free. We were the only ship in port and practically had the beach to ourselves. It was a really nice day. The margaritas were delicious!

We were just there last week. We went to the beach on the right, just past the plaza area. There was a little restaurant where we could get drinks and restrooms were right behind the beach. It looked like Keith's pics, although maybe not quite that shady, loungers that I saw were free. We were the only ship in port and practically had the beach to ourselves. It was a really nice day. The margaritas were delicious!

Been to GT a bunch of times and I'm trying to figure out where you were. Jack's Shack? But that's to the left....:confused::confused::confused:

??? I must be blind...never heard of it or seen it. I have walked down where the "conch graveyard" is and have seen lounge chairs but never noticed a bar. :confused:

It's ok, I've not personally been there either. We spend our time at Jack's Shack. I just know that The Beached Whale is there in the tourist'y area.

Ok, all this animal lover needed to read was that there's a dog to pet!! I will definitely be heading to Jack's Shack now, to pet Topher!

We're also on the Conquest in March. Can't wait!

Topher has his own FB page if you want to see him.