Is the infinity having propulsion problems???

ghstudio

Just read in the cruise forum for our upcoming cruise that the infinity has propulsion problems and is running slow. Apparently going into drydock on 4/2 and that cruise is cancelled?

I haven't seen anything here about it......

excerpt from letter to TA's about the 4/2 cruise:

We would like to advise you, that due to a technical issue with our propulsion system on Celebrity Infinity®, we have cancelled the 15-Night Westbound Panama Canal Cruise departing on April 2, 2018, from Fort Lauderdale to San Diego to take the ship into dry dock to facilitate necessary repairs.

Please contact any clients you may have booked on this sailing to inform them of this cancellation and to re-accommodate them on another Celebrity Cruises vacation. Details of guest compensation and other information is provided below.

Guests will receive a full refund for amounts paid to their original form of payment and a Future Cruise Certificate for 50% of the cruise fare paid on the cancelled sailing.

Edited by ghstudio

There is a thread about this already. Perhaps you missed it. Look at posts from January 20,2018

Before I posted, I did a search the forum for "infinity".......that thread does not show up. I assume either Infinity isn't in the title, it's misspelled...or search is broken on CC. Try it....

There is a thread about this already. Perhaps you missed it. Look at posts from January 20,2018

The correct sail date for this roll call thread is January 21, 2018 and someone recently posted an update on the thread. This is the RT Buenos Aries to Antartica cruise. Here is what they posted:

Crew does NOT seem to want to give any information about the propulsion problems. We are averaging, I think about 18 knots. You can’t tell any problems with vibration. We were notified last night that we won’t be arriving in Ushuaia now until 4:30pm. I’m hearing rumors questioning whether or not we will make it to Montevideo. I’ve a friend that is supposed to be on the Infinity in early March and she said that the cruise after hers has been canceled so they can get the ship in to be worked on.

I have been reading multiple threads as I am on the March 18, 2018 cruise, the one through the Panama Canal to FLL. The April 2nd has been cancelled so the Infinity can go into drydock.

From what I have read, all the cruises up to the March 4th cruise have been given altered itineraries, missing a port and changed port times. The March 4 and March 18 cruise have not received any changes yet. Per another post I read, they are to make some kind of repairs (temporary?) in Buenos Aries on March 4-5 when the ship overnights there.

Have a relative on the January 21, 2018 Infinity. Propulsion issues,

"Huge problems. The 1st port had been changed from 9am arrival to 2pm, the week before leaving – did not arrive until 4.30pm due to the slowness of the ship with its propulsion problems. The end of the 6 hour excursion was done in darkness. Falkland Island stop was cancelled due to wind conditions. In spite of having extra time, no alternate stop is planned, again due to the ship travelling at reduced speed. One more stop at Montevideo which is near Buenos Aires, cruise not really needed to visit this port. Of the 4 port stops, 2 cancelled, 1 severely delayed and shortened, and Montevideo, the least desirable on an Antarctic cruise, should be OK".

From what I understand there has been little in terms of update from the Captain regarding propulsion issues, to the point it is a non-issue.

For many people on this cruise and the next number of similar cruises, passengers will or are taking a once in their lifetime cruise, there is and will be further disappointment. It appears that Celebrity is trying to literally drag out the cruises until April dry dock at the expense of the passengers.

Have a relative on the January 21, 2018 Infinity. Propulsion issues,

"Huge problems. The 1st port had been changed from 9am arrival to 2pm, the week before leaving – did not arrive until 4.30pm due to the slowness of the ship with its propulsion problems. The end of the 6 hour excursion was done in darkness. Falkland Island stop was cancelled due to wind conditions. In spite of having extra time, no alternate stop is planned, again due to the ship travelling at reduced speed. One more stop at Montevideo which is near Buenos Aires, cruise not really needed to visit this port. Of the 4 port stops, 2 cancelled, 1 severely delayed and shortened, and Montevideo, the least desirable on an Antarctic cruise, should be OK".

From what I understand there has been little in terms of update from the Captain regarding propulsion issues, to the point it is a non-issue.

For many people on this cruise and the next number of similar cruises, passengers will or are taking a once in their lifetime cruise, there is and will be further disappointment. It appears that Celebrity is trying to literally drag out the cruises until April dry dock at the expense of the passengers.

I don't agree, If they are able to maintain 18 knots, that's close to normal.

I'm not sure what the expectation is for the Captain, since both the current guests and upcoming guests were already made aware of the propulsion issue, if something has changed yes, but otherwise why would he bring it up?

From the facts posted it the weather was the issue that ultimately changed the schedule for the last two port changes unless I'm missing something.

As a passenger on the February 18 sailing , I'm hoping they don't change the schedule as it stands now, seems like it would accomplish nothing since biggest issue has been bad weather

Yes, the infinity is having propulsion issues. They had to change our itinerary and then on top of that there was some weather around the Falkland Islands which in turn they had to cancel our stop at the Falkland Islands. In other words, a 14 day cruise with four original ports of call, has now turned into 10 days at sea and only two ports to visit. No need to ever take an ocean Crossing trip after having spent so much time at sea on this voyage. They were so much more I can write as having sailed on celebrity nine and 10 times respectively between my wife and I this is actually been the worst cruise/vacation we’ve ever taken.

There has been several meetings on the cruise among many other passengers in reference to initiating a class action lawsuit against celebrity. This is being orchestrated by several attorneys that are on the ship.

I guess maybe the latin phrase saying caveat emptor, let the buyer beware, something you should all be aware of.

Please feel free to reach out for me for more details as there is so much more I could write.

Wow!! We were on the cruise prior when the issues developed. Far from “dragging out” the schedule at the expense of passengers as has been said, I felt X were trying their best to have as many cruisers plans met as possible. I’ve seen some amazing photos of the icebergs sighted on the subsequent cruise and getting to Antarctica was surely a highlight? FWIW I’m also married to an attorney.. his advice - don’t waste your time and anyone else’s money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by astrocat

I'm not sure what the expectation is for the Captain, since both the current guests and upcoming guests were already made aware of the propulsion issue, if something has changed yes, but otherwise why would he bring it up?

From the facts posted it the weather was the issue that ultimately changed the schedule for the last two port changes unless I'm missing something.

As a passenger on the February 18 sailing , I'm hoping they don't change the schedule as it stands now, seems like it would accomplish nothing since biggest issue has been bad weather

This.

Wow!! We were on the cruise prior when the issues developed. Far from “dragging out” the schedule at the expense of passengers as has been said, I felt X were trying their best to have as many cruisers plans met as possible. I’ve seen some amazing photos of the icebergs sighted on the subsequent cruise and getting to Antarctica was surely a highlight? FWIW I’m also married to an attorney.. his advice - don’t waste your time and anyone else’s money.

Thank you — this puts me (Feb 18 sailing) a bit more at ease. I just want to get down to see Antarctica safely!!!

Sorry to hear you are on the February sailing. I'm on the ship right now and we aren't making 18 knots. This ship is wounded. They cut one port before we sailed. Were very late to the only port we have had so far. Tours were in the dark. Then Falklands were cancelled because the weather had gotten bad. If we had been on time. weather would have been fine.

Lots of unhappy people on this ship. If I were you, I'd cancel and demand a full refund. This ship shouldn't be sailing until it is fixed.

Given the way they are handling this, I may never cruise with them again.

Sorry to hear you are on the February sailing. I'm on the ship right now and we aren't making 18 knots. This ship is wounded. They cut one port before we sailed. Were very late to the only port we have had so far. Tours were in the dark. Then Falklands were cancelled because the weather had gotten bad. If we had been on time. weather would have been fine.

Lots of unhappy people on this ship. If I were you, I'd cancel and demand a full refund. This ship shouldn't be sailing until it is fixed.

Given the way they are handling this, I may never cruise with them again.

TNcruiser1 - Since you are on the ship now, I'll direct this question to you. Do you think the ship will make it till April 2 when it will go into drydock? I'm on the sailing right before from Chile to FLL, and of course, very concerned.

TNcruiser1 - Since you are on the ship now, I'll direct this question to you. Do you think the ship will make it till April 2 when it will go into drydock? I'm on the sailing right before from Chile to FLL, and of course, very concerned.

I think the ship will make it with reduced ports and expectations. One of my questions is with today's navigation information why could we not have diverted to another port sooner? I personally was frightened looking at the seas as we were trying to get out of the storms way. It has been a long time on the ship and many passengers feel the problem was misrepresented to then and no one gave them the option to cancel.

I think the ship will make it with reduced ports and expectations. One of my questions is with today's navigation information why could we not have diverted to another port sooner? I personally was frightened looking at the seas as we were trying to get out of the storms way. It has been a long time on the ship and many passengers feel the problem was misrepresented to then and no one gave them the option to cancel.

OH. NO

We are going to be in this ship in the next couple of days out of. B A.

I’m Hoping. We visit all the ports but if not are they give any future discounts I think if we miss a port due to the ship propulsion the passengers should have some form of future credit no excuses here

Well wether its different

Do you have any suggestions

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I felt the same way when I saw those awesome photos from the blog during the current cruise. I can only hope we get some as nice in mid February

We have been offered nothing,:loudcry:

just keep being told that is up to Miami. There have been lots of formal complaints registered on the ship. A lot of very unhappy passengers finally on land today, many just want to go home. We would not have the weather problem if the propulsion had not been compromised. Learned today from a sailor passenger we have been averaging 14 knots most of the time. I really want to say the staff have been working hard but they are all tired also.

macrac

We have been offered nothing,:loudcry:

just keep being told that is up to Miami. There have been lots of formal complaints registered on the ship. A lot of very unhappy passengers finally on land today, many just want to go home. We would not have the weather problem if the propulsion had not been compromised. Learned today from a sailor passenger we have been averaging 14 knots most of the time. I really want to say the staff have been working hard but they are all tired also.

macrac

From rowing? ;)

Before anyone wastes even one dollar on legal action...read your contract.

Btw....a number of antarctic cruises have missed the antarctic...about 50% miss the falklands. We missed Montevideo. The ship can cruise comfortably and safely at 16, maybe a bit more on one pod. We know...we were on one cruise with one pod....

Sent from my iPad using Forums

So the group preparing for possible legal action would have preferred the entire cruise to be canceled, including Antarctica?

We will not join the class action suit, but honestly I wish they’d cancelled the cruise. We’ve been on more than 6 X cruises and loved them. This was a once in a lifetime journey, that we’ll never forget for the wrong reasons.

The lack of port visits has been covered already in prior posts.

Communication was worse. The first letter from the captain said our 2.5 hour delay at the first port was due to adverse winds and currents. It did’t acknowldge that we left BA 45 minutes late or that the ships propulsion system had already caused a 5 hour delay. We certainly did not feel the winds were excessive....

Move on to the Falkland Islands: Passengers started getting notes from shore based tour operators at 6pm the night before our Falkland Islands stop saying the port call was cancelled. I went to both the Shore Excursions and Guest services desks Who had no updates, other than an ominous “the captain makes navigation decisions” comment. At 8:30pm, some 2-3 hours after the shore based operations were notifying guests the captain announced that we’d not be stopping at the Falklands or any substitute port.

Worst vacation ever, compounded by late and questionable communications that raise Significant concerns.

I would not rely on any long haul schedule integrity until dry dock.