Did the pronunciation of "Labadee" change?

I've friend who's name can be pronounced several ways, usually based on the language of the speaker

I learned this when visiting him and a family member spoke the full name, and the pronunciation was WAY different than what we had used for YEARS (DW & I ... and she WORKED with the guy)

I asked, "why didn't you tell us we were pronouncing your name wrong?"

Reply: "I'm smarter than a dog; I answer to more than one name."

this happened over 40 years ago and having a name that can be mispronounced, I STILL use this line!!

with regard to an earlier post ....

the spelling of the location on a map or nautical chart, depends on who prints the chart/map!!!!!

We were just in Labadee last week and everyone (crew and Haitians) were pronouncing La-Ba-dee[emoji51]

Laboadoozies are still as delish as ever!!! [emoji267][emoji305]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In a Royal commercial, I have heard them pronounce it La-Baa-Dee.

I've actually never heard it said in a way that matches gravity. The vowels weren't that short. It was always Lahbahdee. I do believe that it's more of a correct enunciation of the way it is actually, technically said. Labadee said like gravity sounds very dumbed down American but I don't mean that in a rude way. Just that it seems like a very incorrect pronounciation of a French word. Like if you pronounced croissant as crassant.

Doesn't really matter ... it's a silly made up name anyway. Just say "that sleazy Haitian stop".

As a previous poster said, the name of the town that is about a mile south of the pier is actually Labadie. To help us "ignorant" :-) Americans, RCI spelled the port phonetically. It's the same thing that Chef Boiardi did when he started selling canned pasta. Boyardee may look silly, but it sounds correct.

What bugs me is that I (almost?) always hear RCI crew pronounce Coco Cay as Coco Kaye (As in Danny Kaye). The preferred pronunciation is the same as key; e.g. Key West. (As an aside, a quay in the UK are also pronounced key.)

Aloha,

John

Doesn't really matter ... it's a silly made up name anyway. Just say "that sleazy Haitian stop".

It isn't made up. It isn't silly.

Ending was changed from "-die" to "-dee" so that English speaking people could pronounce it as closely as possible to the original way.