I'm turning Red!

Grimlineman

I know Big deal right! Been lurking on these forums for about a year now this is my first post!

My wife and I took our first cruise ( a 4 day) last July on the liberty.We talked about taking one for over a decade but every time we was about to plan one seemed some sort of horror story would come on the news about sickness or someone overboard and the wife would talk me out of it.

I had planned to make a first timer review of our trip when we returned but failed to do so.But long story short we had a great time bar a few things. The biggest was we were woken up one morning about 3 am to a man whom I would guess was in his late forties puking on the floor in front of our door. We called the desk and thankfully it was cleaned up by the time we got up for breakfast, just some fans in the hall to dry what I hope was cleaner. Another thing was large groups seemed to have no problem blocking the halls,stairs or other choke points to getting around the ship to just stand there and talk. Also was some other little nit-picky stuff but I will leave them out not to sound like a snob. I'm middle class blue collar and not hard to please but when a grown man is puking at your door that's pretty trashy.

But like I said over all we had a great time so fast forward to this year and the wife wants to take our kids on a land vacation to see somethings because they don't have many years left in the nest. So we agree to go on another short cruise for our 18th anniversary this year then next year take a long one. So I start researching. I really wanted to take a different cruise line to see how it compares but after watching videos of different ships and comparing prices we ended up booking back on the liberty for later in the year. So for better or for worse I'm turning red!

I'm sure we will have another great time but being a short trip again i'm worried what i will see next.(yn)

Though it's been quite some time since I took a short cruise (under 7 days), it's in my memory as they tend to draw a younger crowd and more people who are there to party (ie drink heavy). The drunk at your door could easily happen at a hotel (especially one during spring break).

And as far as groups blocking areas are concerned, that has a lot to do with where your ship embarks since a large portion of those on board will be local. My recent cruise was out of Galveston and the passengers were as courteous as could be. Of course, that's because they were Texans!

I know Big deal right! Been lurking on these forums for about a year now this is my first post!

My wife and I took our first cruise ( a 4 day) last July on the liberty.We talked about taking one for over a decade but every time we was about to plan one seemed some sort of horror story would come on the news about sickness or someone overboard and the wife would talk me out of it.

I had planned to make a first timer review of our trip when we returned but failed to do so.But long story short we had a great time bar a few things. The biggest was we were woken up one morning about 3 am to a man whom I would guess was in his late forties puking on the floor in front of our door. We called the desk and thankfully it was cleaned up by the time we got up for breakfast, just some fans in the hall to dry what I hope was cleaner. Another thing was large groups seemed to have no problem blocking the halls,stairs or other choke points to getting around the ship to just stand there and talk. Also was some other little nit-picky stuff but I will leave them out not to sound like a snob. I'm middle class blue collar and not hard to please but when a grown man is puking at your door that's pretty trashy.

But like I said over all we had a great time so fast forward to this year and the wife wants to take our kids on a land vacation to see somethings because they don't have many years left in the nest. So we agree to go on another short cruise for our 18th anniversary this year then next year take a long one. So I start researching. I really wanted to take a different cruise line to see how it compares but after watching videos of different ships and comparing prices we ended up booking back on the liberty for later in the year. So for better or for worse I'm turning red!

I'm sure we will have another great time but being a short trip again i'm worried what i will see next.(yn)

You are definitely correct in pointing out the people that block the stairs. I experience many people without common sense, just as if I was back home in my county. I especially love when I say excuse me and I get a look like, the nerve of that guy or an occasional eye roll.

My husband doesn't like to be away for very long and so we always do the shorter cruises. I find that if you take the cruises that leave on Monday and are back on Friday there is less of a party atmosphere compared to the ones over a weekend.

Also the latest inspection flops have me regretting my booking back to carnival....... but here's to hoping they have things back on track soon.

I wouldn't worry too much about those inspections. I'm sure those things were corrected on the spot. It's when those things happen and continue to happen without being caught that I would worry. The one ding was for a fruit fly. One fruit fly? How do you get rid of a fruit fly? Hang a pest strip? Then they'd get dinged for having a pest strip by food.

You'd be amazed at what doesn't pass at your local restaurants that they get dinged for. Our county does monthly inspections of schools, restaurants, churches that serve food etc. Then they post their findings on their site. Some of the stuff they find is asinine but that's what they're looking for.

Grimlineman, if your budget (and vacation time) will allow it, take a look at 5 day cruises. The shorter 3 and 4 day cruises do tend to attract those that want a quick getaway so they can party on a cruise ship. Also, try to avoid cruises that go out during Spring Break, for the same reason. People don't just randomly fall overboard. The railings are high enough to prevent that. You just need to have enough common sense to not do something dangerous, like climbing up on the railing. As for the news reports about failed inspections, I'm not sure why the news media seems to be focusing on Carnival lately. I'm willing to bet that the other cruise lines have had their share of failed inspections too. Nobody's perfect. Don't let the bad experiences you've had on a previous cruise prevent you from going on another. Who knows? Your next cruise could be an absolutely perfect vacation.

my first cruise was a 3 day, lots of drunks, lots of stupid. but I loved the food and the service, and the nice clean towels, and having my bed made, and swimming in the Bahamas, so I booked another cruise, 7 days, no drunks, (well there might have been, but i didn't care) got on the roll call, planned my trip and had a fantastic time, and then booked another, and another.

lesson learned over the years, the shorter the cruise, the more the party-

cruise during the week, and you find a more sedate crowd (wanting vacation, not a long weekend)

and congrats! on going red. gold is just around the corner.

My husband doesn't like to be away for very long and so we always do the shorter cruises. I find that if you take the cruises that leave on Monday and are back on Friday there is less of a party atmosphere compared to the ones over a weekend.

Totally agree. We did the Mon-Fri cruise in August to Key West and Cozumel. Did not see one single person out of line and we were at all the night spots until the wee hours.

I’m a homebody myself and can’t see being away from home for long stretches at a time and enjoying it but I am looking forward to some 5 day and maybe will try a 7.

Will also make sure from now on to book during the week. Thanks for the advice/replies!

Sorry about that. I mistook it for my door.

I wouldn't worry too much about those inspections. I'm sure those things were corrected on the spot. It's when those things happen and continue to happen without being caught that I would worry. The one ding was for a fruit fly. One fruit fly? How do you get rid of a fruit fly? Hang a pest strip? Then they'd get dinged for having a pest strip by food.

You'd be amazed at what doesn't pass at your local restaurants that they get dinged for. Our county does monthly inspections of schools, restaurants, churches that serve food etc. Then they post their findings on their site. Some of the stuff they find is asinine but that's what they're looking for.

This. In many of the reports, one of the things mentioned are flies. The kitchen areas on lido are connected to an almost entire open air deck. The doors are constantly opening and closing so it is not surprising that a fly would slip in from time to time.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Can't do it.

I can do a Saturday to Sunday 8 nighter vs. the Monday to Friday 4 nighter while using the exact same vacation time.

But i guess it makes sense if your intentions aren't to cruise for more than 4 days.

I did a 10 nighter in May and I wish all my future cruises were 10 nights lol