Help an Aussie understand spring break dates

RenaeG

I am doing 2 cruises in March 2019 and was looking to understand if they will coincide with spring break. I’ve booked Symphony for 16 March departure and Celebrity Edge for 31 March departure. I was just on Ovation and of the 4500 guests 1700 were kids.... I thought kids were back to school and that wasn’t the case with all the states in Australia so it was the cruise from hell for me. Please let me know if my dates will get caught up with Spring Break as I will change them if that’s the case. Thanks in advance.

It is generally close to Easter and Easter is late in 2019, I believe the 3rd week of April.
Not so much anymore. Here in Minnesota our 3 largest school districts are all different in 2019. One 2nd week of March, one last week of March, another first week of April.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

It is generally close to Easter and Easter is late in 2019, I believe the 3rd week of April.

We find most colleges have their break sometime in March, and the weeks before and after Easter are filled with younger children.

Not so much anymore. Here in Minnesota our 3 largest school districts are all different in 2019. One 2nd week of March, one last week of March, another first week of April.

Wow. Interesting.

The further into March typically the more kids on the ship. If it is a short school week with Easter holidays there will be even more kids. In Ontario, Canada our March break for 2019 is the 11-15. Some American grade schools will be the out the same week, but more the week’s progressing after.

We did B2Bs two March breaks in a row on Allure. The numbers were roughly as follows for both years.

March 5-9 900 Kids

March 12-15 1400 Kids

The week after 24-28, which we weren’t on board, was almost 2,100 Kids.

In 2015 the numbers pattern almost the same.

March 5-9 800 Kids

March 12-16 1400 Kids

The week after 24-28, which we weren’t on board, was almost 2,000 Kids.

In 2015 the numbers pattern almost the same.

And this is why we pull our kid for a week in February to cruise. :)

Ontario, Canada should have their March Break the week of the 11-15th, but private schools with two weeks would also have the 18-22nd. Quebec is the first week of March or even the week before that. Universities have their Reading Week in February.

Is May ok to cruise with the weather or is that rain season? It looks like hurricane season is more Sept|Oct. Between worrying about too many kids on board and hurricanes it’s all too much...... lol!

May is fine. It could rain any day, but in the Caribbean the rain does not usually last very long.

Is May ok to cruise with the weather or is that rain season? It looks like hurricane season is more Sept|Oct. Between worrying about too many kids on board and hurricanes it’s all too much...... lol!

FYI, sadly some schools are done in May for the summer but I don’t think it as bad as March break.

The best way to judge is by price, in my experience. We cruise every year for spring break with my young son. And those cruises ALWAYS have inflated prices because the cruise lines know they have parents of schoolchildren by the you-know-whats. If you’re looking in March or April and you see that one or two weeks out of the month have prices that are almost double the other weeks, then you know it’s spring break time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums