Back from Seaside : January 20-27

cruzeluver

We had our cruise from Jan 13-20 on MSC we were on the 14th floor 14159. That sewage smell was horrible on all the floors. Some rooms didn't have the smell but the hallways did and our room did. They were supposed to give us an air freshener and never did. I will not go on MSC again and I will never recommend them to anyone. Member services didn't care when we mentioned the smell and people smoking next to us on the balcony. Unexceptionable!:mad:

Another negative 1 post wonder.

I'm glad you mentioned this, because I got off this same ship, just 2 weeks ago, and I was thinking the exact same thing. This has got to be the first person that has said that the buffet was better than any other buffet on any ship they've been on. It was the worse one we've ever had on all the cruises we've been on.

MSC buffet is the best of all the lines we have been on but yes the dinner buffet has less options then it did a year ago. You want a bad buffet see Carnival.

We had our cruise from Jan 13-20 on MSC we were on the 14th floor 14159. That sewage smell was horrible on all the floors. Some rooms didn't have the smell but the hallways did and our room did. They were supposed to give us an air freshener and never did. I will not go on MSC again and I will never recommend them to anyone. Member services didn't care when we mentioned the smell and people smoking next to us on the balcony. Unexceptionable!:mad:

We were on that sailing. Not disputing you encountered a smell, and I would not be happy if my room smelled. However we were on deck 13 - exact same sailing, & did not encounter odour ever. Did smell occasionally ie walking past water park one day. Again, I would not be happy either if my room smelled but to say all floors smelled is simply an over exaggeration & not true.

Were on the Seaside 1/13 to 1/20 followed by a cruise on Oasis 1/21 to 1/2. Were on the 11th deck and had to be moved after 1st night because of nauseating sewer smell. That was just the start of a very disappointing cruise. From bad customer service,terrible service and cold food in dining room,false charges to our account,and on and on. Before the cruise we were very excited about going on this cruise but was sure let down! Agree that it is a beautiful ship and some enjoyed the cruise but MSC is not for us. Was great to get on Oasis and enjoy a cruise.

Hello everyone! We are back from the January 20-27 sailing of Seaside and I thought I would share some thoughts. My husband and I have been on around 20 cruises, fairly spread out between Celebrity, Royal Caribbean and Carnival (and a couple of NCL) and were looking for something different. My husband saw a commercial for Seaside and that sold him, so we did some research and decided to book. Really glad that we did! We stayed on deck 15 in Fantastica balcony 15094. We took full advantage of the mealtime drink package and additional drink vouchers we received with out booking. We also purchased the coffee vouchers and got our fill of specialty coffees. So, here we go!

Service : For us this was an area where MSC really impressed us. Crew were all around fantastic! Very warm, very personable, while remaining highly professional. Our stateroom attendant Glenda was outstanding! She was so efficient and hard-working, but would always pause for a brief chat when we would see her. Bar service throughout the ship was excellent, particularly at the Atrium Bar and Haven which were our primary hangouts. Service and Venchi was also very good, Our dining room wait team were among the best we have ever had. They knew just how to pace the meal so we were not too rushed, but no long gaps between courses. Guest services were very knowledgeable and professional.

Sewage Smell : The only time we personally smelled anything was on deck four forward while waiting to disembark in Nassau. It was pretty strong in the morning but was not noticeable when we returned to the ship. A couple we had dinner with each evening were on deck 15 forward and the smell got bad enough on the third day that they had to be moved to another room. Fortunately there was an equivalent room type available. Outside of those two examples I am not aware of any others.

Zipline and Waterslides: None of the slides (including the slideboard) incur a charge. They were all a lot of fun and we definitely took advantage of them. We did pay the $50.00 for unlimited use of the zipline. We though that may end up being and issue as it was closed boarding day and the first two sea days due to wind. But once it opened we had ample opportunity to ride and it was a lot of fun. Great views as well!

Food : Another area where MSC shines! Hands down, without a doubt the best buffet food we have ever had on any ship, any line (and this is coming from a pretty hard-core buffet hater, just not usually a fan of them). Food that should be hot was consistently hot, and cold food consistently cold. Nice selections for breakfasts, lunches and snacks (did not eat dinner in the buffet at all). The pizza lives up to the hype. Terrific! Food in the main dining room also ranks pretty high for us (I would compare it favorably to Celebrity who we have always thought does the best in this area). Portion sizes were right on, dishes were flavorful and beautifully presented. If you are a pasta lover you will be in Heaven! Pasta is made on board and is terrific,as is risotto and most seafood dishes. Beef including the always available steak and prime rib were also very good and cooked to the requested temperatures. We had 8 at our table in the Seashore Dining Room, 8:30 seating.

Entertainment : No complaints here either. Great options for live music. Most evenings we enjoyed the Caribbean party band in Haven which became our pre-dinner drink hang out. Lovely space and service was spot on. Productions shows were sensational. Not the typical stuff found on the US-based lines. More involving dance, acrobatics, some magic and cirque type performers. The singers and dancers were great across the board. On par with Royal and Celebrity and light years ahead of the cheap, so-called "entertainment" Carnival is now putting on. Each evening but one there was also a classical concert in the theater which we thoroughly enjoyed as well.

Fellow Passengers : We were greatly looking forward to the broader mix of passengers than what we typically experience and this did turn out to be a highlight for us. We met charming people from all over Europe (primarily France, Italy, Germany and Spain). Ship announcements and greetings in the theater were made in Italian, French, German, Spanish, Portuguese and English. By and large everyone was in "vacation mode" and very, very friendly. Of course there were also the usual grumps who never seemed to be happy. My husband had an unfortunate experience in an elevator with a charming "gentleman" who felt the need to let everyone know he was an American and was sick of dealing with all these "foreigners". Other than that ass and a man screaming at guest services about how he would not hesitate to sue MSC (not sure what had him so riled up), people were fun, friendly and enhanced our cruise considerably.

Meet & Mingle and Ports : Our Cruise Critic Meet & Mingle was on the second sea day at 5:00PM in Haven. Great turn out! Not sure exactly how many showed up but well over 100. Captain Scala, CD Andre and several other crew members attended and put on a nice event for us. In Antigua we did a private tour with a small group organized by the amazing Tina from our roll call. Even thought we were a couple of hours late arriving due to a medical emergency, our guides from Bonita Tours waited for us. They are excellent! We went to Shirley Heights, Falmouth and Nelson's dockyard. Our tour also included a great lunch at a tiny little restaurant all for $40.00 per person. Not bad at all! In St Thomas we had lunch at Gladys' Cafe, an old favorite, , shopped downtown and wandered through some of the historical sites. Always a good time on this charming island. In Nassau we also just hung around town, visited the Queen's Staircase and Fort Fincastle again and had lunch in town. It was very windy that day, in fact another ship chose to not dock due to the high winds. Overall we had a good time in our ports.

Ship Design/Decor/Amenities : Seaside really is stunning. It may not have the "wow" factor of say Royal Caribbean's Oasis class ships, but she is absolutely beautiful. Decor is very tasteful with lots of muted colors, heavy on gray and maroon. Public spaces are comfortable and well thought out. Having two separate buffets is pure genius and really kept crowd control in check. Even on boarding day we had no problems. There are a few Can't-get-there-from-here spots, but once you figure them out its a piece of cake. The MSC for Me app, ship maps and interactive computers throughout worked really well and helped in this regard.

I cannot say enough how much we enjoyed our week on Seaside and would not hesitate to return. They really do seem to have taken care of a lot of the early service issues that plagued the first reviews. While we have cruises already booked on other lines, when it comes time to look for another one, MSC will most certainly be on the list of lines for us to consider.

I am happy to answer any questions anyone may have.

Thank you for the detail. We are leaving Saturday and are happy to hear a positive review.

I'm glad you mentioned this, because I got off this same ship, just 2 weeks ago, and I was thinking the exact same thing. This has got to be the first person that has said that the buffet was better than any other buffet on any ship they've been on. It was the worse one we've ever had on all the cruises we've been on.

Same here- I was shocked to hear someone actually rave in favor of the buffet! Although I did feel breakfast was very good at the buffet. Lunch and especially dinner were 2 thumbs down!!!

You have the exact same package as us, vouchers, mealtime drinks, and a coffee package. The only difference is we have a small village of kids who will get the non alcoholic vouchers. Were you able to use vouchers for gelato? Could you use the coffee package for fancy coffees at Venchi or their hot chocolate? Thanks for the great review!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Great review! I was on the same cruise and pretty much agree with everything you wrote. We also had a great time and it seemed like most of our fellow passengers were enjoying themselves as well. I loved the International mix of people. Thankfully I never encountered any unpleasant smells or obnoxious Americans or otherwise. Guess I was lucky in that regard.

I don't give the food as high a rating as you do. I thought the steaks, pizza, pasta, and deserts were great. The rest was hit or miss for me. By no means bad, but just not memorable either. I also thought the two buffets were a great idea and I really like the Marketplace Buffet.

I loved the modern flashy decor of the ship and I felt like there was something for everyone. I also agree the crew was fantastic. In fact our waiter Arthur was perhaps the best (or one of the best) in my 100+ cruises. Truly superb.

Welcome home and thanks for sharing your thoughts.

i was on your sailing and absolutely agree with you! had the best time! we only smelt the sewage smell strongly when we were disembarking at nassau. buffet was exceptional - great dishes and a variety of choices!

You have the exact same package as us, vouchers, mealtime drinks, and a coffee package. The only difference is we have a small village of kids who will get the non alcoholic vouchers. Were you able to use vouchers for gelato? Could you use the coffee package for fancy coffees at Venchi or their hot chocolate? Thanks for the great review!!!

you can use the vouchers at venchi for anything at or under $7.50!

The coffee package is a great value. Its $29 for 15 vouchers that cover the basic coffee drinks (espresso, lattes, cafe mochas etc.) as well as the deluxe coffee drinks like afogato. If you expect to consume two or more per day the package is well worth it.

The coffee package is a great value. Its $29 for 15 vouchers that cover the basic coffee drinks (espresso, lattes, cafe mochas etc.) as well as the deluxe coffee drinks like afogato. If you expect to consume two or more per day the package is well worth it.

Thanks!