Code Red on Mariner

NJBelle

I have a question, what happens with the Code Red once the ship has docked in Buenos Aires and one leg of the cruise is over? Does the clock get reset? Or does the ship stay in Code Red if there are passengers staying on through Rio who are sick? I hope this clears up and no one else gets ill! I can't imagine how horrible it would be to look forward to your trip for a long time, just to fall ill and not leave your cabin (KNOCKING ON ALL THE WOOD AROUND ME).

Thank you!

Stopping in port does not reset the clock. At least it didn't when we docked in San Francisco on the Mariner. We were Code Red when we disembarked and new passengers boarding entered a ship that was already on Code Red. Admittedly there were passengers continuing on to the next port but there are usually continuing passengers. The ship does get a good cleaning when people disembark.

BBfromCA - Great news!

I do wonder if people do not report being sick when Code Red is about to end - just so that it ends (hope not). IMO, this has nothing to do with whether you are on a luxury cruise line or a mainstream cruise line - there are always some people that ignore the rules - do not report when they are sick, etc. Not sure that Regent can do anything about this.

Also, as frustrating as it may be, try not to judge people that walk past the sanitizer without using it. Because of prior recent Code Red's on the Mariner I tended to use the sanitizer at the entrance to La Veranda and then after getting my food (touching utensils - touching my chair, etc.). However, there were times that I went to the Pool Grill, got my food - sanitized yet again (yes I was being overly cautious) - someone held the door open for me and I walked past the sanitizer to my table.

I understand that there are some people on the Mariner that are very upset (understandably so) and others that seem to take the disruptions/limitations caused by Code Red in stride. Everyone has their own way of dealing with things. If I get upset on the ship, I quietly speak to the person in charge while I see other people screaming at whichever crew member is unlucky enough to try to assist them. So, one does not know what happens behind closed doors and, IMO, screaming or being rude never solves anything.

Not sure what Regent could or should say on Cruise Critic. Passengers that are affected and are currently onboard the Mariner have had communication. They seem to be doing everything possible short of locking everyone in their suite. Keep in mind that this happens everywhere - not only on cruise ships. In the states, it is not unusual for a school to be closed to due illness (flu, gastroenteritis, whooping cough).

Edited by Travelcat2

The thing Regent should have done right from the very outset of boarding in Lima was to ensure every passenger was made very aware and signed papers to recognise that resturants in Peru etc do not have the standards of hygeine needed for safe eating .......apparently the latest infection of 2 which caused a furthur 48 hrs of code red was due to eating on shore ....those passengers should have had the commonsense to know better and i fail to see why Regent should treat them for free or the entire ship be inconvenienced by their utter stupidity and downright selfish behaviour

In talking to and overhearing conversations from upper staff members, the original GI problems SEEMS to have stemmed from those who stayed at the JW Marriott Hotel in Lima...both those who took the "standard" 3 day pre-cruise Machu Picchu excursion and stayed at the hotel AND/OR those who stayed at the Marriott for the one-night pre-cruise hotel.

It did not seem to affect those who were on the "deluxe" 3 day pre-cruise Machu Picchu excursion that stayed at the Country Club Lima Hotel. So it seems that Machu Picchu itself is not the cause.

They are not putting the blame on the hotel or Regent guests, as the germs may have already been there, or brought there by others and spread without the hotel knowing at the time. There is no way of knowing exactly how it started, or by whom.

I have a sweet husband who goes out and gets me coffee each morning. Lo and behold, today the coffee machine was manned by none other than the Captain himself. He donned the plastic gloves and punched the buttons with the best of them, according to my husband. Anyway, Eric had a chance to chat and the Captain said we are “this close” to starting the lifting of precautions. They just want to be extra extra sure since people might backslide once they are lifted. He seems pretty convinced that it is the intense MP portion that does it - stress of high altitude, dehydration, recent travel to Peru and then passengers-to-be eating all kind of crazy stuff before they get on the ship. Clearly not everyone brings it onboard, but only takes a few since it is highly contagious.

I also wanted to acknowledge the Captain’s taking his turn at the coffee machine. I am sure the staff noticed it and appreciate his support.

The thing Regent should have done right from the very outset of boarding in Lima was to ensure every passenger was made very aware and signed papers to recognise that resturants in Peru etc do not have the standards of hygeine needed for safe eating .......apparently the latest infection of 2 which caused a furthur 48 hrs of code red was due to eating on shore ....those passengers should have had the commonsense to know better and i fail to see why Regent should treat them for free or the entire ship be inconvenienced by their utter stupidity and downright selfish behaviour

Virtually every Regent sponsored tour I took in Peru and Chile included some type of food or drink. Whether it was unending Pisco sours or roadside "picnics" from locals. It was unnecessary and also awkward to refuse the offerings, but I would consume nothing that was not prepackaged. Not everyone did the same.

So rather than being so harsh to passengers maybe Regent should reconsider what is happening on excursions.

I absolutely agree about food consumed on excursions. The only time my wife and I have been ill on board Regent ( and we have many cruises behind us ) was when we were given some local specialities on a tour in Montenegro. It ruined our cruise and although we were not infectious we were quarantined. It turned out several others on the same excursion were similarly affected. Since then we have not eaten anything on tours other than planned meals in known hotels.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I absolutely agree about food consumed on excursions. The only time my wife and I have been ill on board Regent ( and we have many cruises behind us ) was when we were given some local specialities on a tour in Montenegro. It ruined our cruise and although we were not infectious we were quarantined. It turned out several others on the same excursion were similarly affected. Since then we have not eaten anything on tours other than planned meals in known hotels.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Smart thing to do.

I have a sweet husband who goes out and gets me coffee each morning. Lo and behold, today the coffee machine was manned by none other than the Captain himself. He donned the plastic gloves and punched the buttons with the best of them, according to my husband. Anyway, Eric had a chance to chat and the Captain said we are “this close” to starting the lifting of precautions. They just want to be extra extra sure since people might backslide once they are lifted. He seems pretty convinced that it is the intense MP portion that does it - stress of high altitude, dehydration, recent travel to Peru and then passengers-to-be eating all kind of crazy stuff before they get on the ship. Clearly not everyone brings it onboard, but only takes a few since it is highly contagious.

I also wanted to acknowledge the Captain’s taking his turn at the coffee machine. I am sure the staff noticed it and appreciate his support.

Thank you for the first hand account. I am pleased to learn that Regent has strict protocol and follows it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums