MSC Seaside - first 2 days dazzling! Last 5 Meh.....

geonurse

These are some of the pics I took of the outside decks. To me it seemed like a lot of space, lots of chairs, and plenty of places to walk or sit. I'll admit I took these on a port day, but even my strolls on the last sea day the decks didn't seem overcrowded. In fact we ate at the Marketplace Buffet that afternoon and got great outdoor seats no problem.

26104974268_3602699836_h.jpg

28197738309_e3e4f33e60_h.jpg

26104975218_05f35e13bf_h.jpg

26104975838_75e0658927_h.jpg

26104976328_68af168890_h.jpg

Stephen ... We upgraded to the Deluxe drink package when we had the AFT Suite so cannot answer about the basic package.

We will likely do the same in April.

Thank you!

BTW did you enjoy the anytime dining? My wife is asking me whether we can request the same time every night so we get the same wait staff each time. Can you comment?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The newest NCL ships have no forward facing view *unless* you are in The Haven (same as the YC) or buy a spa pass because the spa is located forward.

The newest NCL ship Bliss (under construction) has forward views for all in the observation lounge....

cache_63136757.jpg?t=1516022493

....and there is also a 2 deck observation lounge just for Haven guests...

462ad80c2a24c1c5e9280ab7506654ea_L.jpg

...but only the Haven has forward views from the outside (sundeck). The spa is located aft with an aft-facing view.

The older (BA/BA Plus) ships have a forward view for all on the sundeck.

Yes I’m aware of BLISS but I was speaking of ships already in service. You’re right about at least a partial open front deck being available to everyone. I was thinking it was all for the Haven but 2/3 of it is for public access. Still not much for a ship of 4000+ pax but I guess better than nothing. I hate the deck space on those ships. Worst design ever. Too much crap stuffed in too small a space.

I’ve sailed recently on EPIC, GETAWAY, and the inaugural crossing of ESCAPE but I’ve pretty much written off NCL for now. Maybe I’ll return when the Project Leonardo ships come out. NCL needs a new design and they look modeled after SEASIDE so I might actually like them.

Sidari, I hate to put you on the spot but I noticed something you wrote on another thread about the drinks package. I’m finding conflicting information about this online, so I thought I’d ask you.

1. Does the classic unlimited drink package include sparkling wines or not? What you had written elsewhere was from last July and you said you’d found that they had removed those.

2. Is there a comprehensive list of what wines are included in that classic package?

3. Can you pay an up charge for a premium liquor with the classic package, or do you have to pay the entire amount of the drink?

When I was on Costa and RCL you only had to pay the upcharge, but I don’t know how MSC operates.

I’ve searched for answers for all of these both on the Internet generally and on Cruise Critic and I can’t find the information. We just upgraded our Fantastica balcony cabin to an Aurea experience and I want to see whether we should pay the difference and get the deluxe package instead.

Thank you!

Stephen

Classic drink package includes prosecco and Asti, avoid the Asti last year in Divina it was sweet!

If you do a search for drink menus or bar menus you will find everything included in the classic package.

It’s a thread by Ashleycruisecritic.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There are other ships with this same issue believe me. The newest NCL ships have no forward facing view *unless* you are in The Haven (same as the YC) or buy a spa pass because the spa is located forward.

Ernie,

It´s been quite a while I´ve been on the Epic. But as far as I remember even The Haven has no forward facing lounge but just the sun deck. But there is the buffet restaurant and the Italian restaurant facing forward. On the Breakway/Plus class ships after a while they opened one side of the sun deck to the public which was reserved for The Haven only. And I don´t remember a forward facing lounge there for The Haven. The Bliss will get a forward facing lounge for both - regular and The Haven passengers.

steamboats

My wife and I like our Prosecco.

Stephen ... As do we, one reason we booked the Deluxe was because MSC had told the UK office that Prosecco was no longer included in the basic package and I had also read on the boards that was true on European sailings.

We both only like the sweet one but MSC insist on giving you Dry as part of the Black card privileges!

Sadly in the USA they do not have our favourite which is Borgomolino Cuvee Dolce which is made just for MSC outside Mestre near Venice.

Ernie ... I mentioned the Ruby because like the other Grand class ships, the ship has a public walk around balcony above where we had our suite as well as the promenade deck below, one thing MSC need to design into their next generation of ships is an area at the front that gives access for everyone to at some point have a forward view.

As I mentioned earlier the YC blocks the way on the Fantasia class, interesting to note that the forward lounge of Bliss looks like Seaside! some of the later Royal ships also appear to have little outside deck space compared to Seaside and Seaview.

One mistake with Seaside was making it shorter in length by around 30 feet knowing that the area Aft that would normally be taken up by a number of cabins all the way back has the Aft pool taking up another 50 feet or so of space.

Having no access to the forward restaurants apart from at the front is also a bad mistake, there are a few other things that changed during the process of design to build, MSC claimed that people would be able to walk all the way around the ship on the outside deck 8, also the Aft lifts would only go from 7 to 16 and would be for the Aft Suite guests to be able to stop at their given floor.

I can just hear the howling sounds of derision had they not reversed the decision on the lifts and forced everyone to the centre bank of lifts ... :)

DC Guy ... The my choice dining worked well, we had a table for two each night with the same waiters Onell Holmes and Imam who we had come across on a previous MSC cruise, we went at different times though I see no reason why they would not give you the same time.

DC Guy ... The my choice dining worked well, we had a table for two each night with the same waiters Onell Holmes and Imam who we had come across on a previous MSC cruise, we went at different times though I see no reason why they would not give you the same time.

Dave was your table a table for 2? Our friends are Fantastica and we want to see if they cans it with us? We are quite happy having the table for the 8.30 sitting?

Nikki ... there were about 4/5 tables just for 2 people in the area we sat, you can go anytime within the Dining room opening hours and there is a separate entrance for Aurea and Wellness guests on the Starboard side of the ship. (Left hand side as you face the dining room)

Nikki ... there were about 4/5 tables just for 2 people in the area we sat, you can go anytime within the Dining room opening hours and there is a separate entrance for Aurea and Wellness guests on the Starboard side of the ship. (Left hand side as you face the dining room)

Thanks Dave, nothing to loose asking if we can share a table if not just eat at the same time and meet up again after!

I agree. We have enjoyed the My Choice dining and have had the same table and waiter each night on request. So far no waits. We have gone at different times. Last night we chose to wait 20 minutes for the table to open up and have the same one which was no big deal. The woman checking you in at the door knows us now.

Classic drink package includes prosecco and Asti, avoid the Asti last year in Divina it was sweet!

If you do a search for drink menus or bar menus you will find everything included in the classic package.

It’s a thread by Ashleycruisecritic.

Thank you very much for this. After I posted this, I remembered Ashley's helpful and exhaustive bar menu thread so that's what I did, and I was able to see what drinks were included in which package. My wife in particular actually likes sweeter wines so she'll be good with the Asti. We're going to upgrade to Deluxe due to the availability of our favorite brands, the price is only $56 pp so well worth it. (although my TA is running into problems with MSC who are trying to charge us the full cost but I read somewhere that can be worked out)

I really have doubts that the pasta was "gross". The pasta on MSC is all homemade and is usually one of the highlights of the cruise! I have tried "pasta" at Applebees and I'm sorry but it does not come close to MSC's offerings.

I liked the MSC pasta, too, although it was far away from al dente at the buffet lol.

However... not everyone has the same taste, so if someone thinks it was gross that's totally legitimate imo. Tastes differ.

I also like opera. I grew up with it (went to see one at least once a month). I also think it's likely an acquired taste, as well, if you're used to musicals and revue shows. So, it's legit when people say they don't like opera even though my initial snobby thought is always "who would admit to being uncultured and then present it as the standard of things?"

We all just have to accept that everyone has different tastes and opinions. They're all valid.

:'):') Gee, I remember being sweet 16 and spending a week in Sorrento with my school. Asti was only 1000 Lire which now equals 50 cents (Euro, 70 cents USD) per bottle! Asti was always sweet and back then we teenagers drank it like lemonade (yep, this is allowed in Europe - Germany and Italy).

steamboats

I really have doubts that the pasta was "gross". The pasta on MSC is all homemade and is usually one of the highlights of the cruise! I have tried "pasta" at Applebees and I'm sorry but it does not come close to MSC's offerings.

Well I should have said-"tasted gross to me".... hopefully others will not find this to be true for them. The 2 dishes I am specifically thinking of were the Lasagna Bolognese on Italian Night in the main dining room and the chicken penne pasta on another night in the dining room.

I would be disappointed if the lasagna and penne didn’t taste Italian. Being American, I grew up with lasagna stacked high with beef and cheese. It was a revelation when I tasted it in Italy-so much better!

On the Divina, the pasta from the Specialty Dining Rooms are excellent, but everything else (excluding YC) was poor.

I have a strong suspicion that the Yacht club and specialty restaurants is where the best food on the ship was, I would go back as Yacht Club to find out, but I can get excellent food on Carnival and RC with a normal fare