Maya Chan retreat in Costa Maya

SFlo

we've done it 3 times- it's a great experience. The food, drinks, and service are exceptional. The beach can be seaweed-y- as can all beaches in that area. So if you're hoping for the white clear beaches of the Eastern Caribbean you might be disappointed. Check out the Ports Of Call page- there are lots of reviews and posts there. We love Maya Chan.

We recently did Nohoch Caye Beach Club and were VERY happy with the day spent there. We also had looked at Maya Chan as we did it years ago.....and a lot of these beach clubs are beginning to blend into one another when I try to recall! But take a look at Nohoch Caye.......as it was the last day of our cruise and we thought it splendid. And I am NOT easily pleased!

We went there in October and had a great time. The pick up process wasn't that smooth- we had to wait quite a long time for a taxi after reaching the meeting point, but I think we were just unlucky. The road getting there is an adventure to say the least!

We had a lovely time at the resort, we loved having our own little area with hammock, chairs and bed and it was very very relaxing. The food and drinks are top notch. Being able to try out the paddleboards and kayaks was fun. We paid for massages but I wouldn't recommend doing this as they weren't very good and the ladies talked to each other the whole way through (when I wanted to just relax and listen to the waves!)

We didn't have loads of seaweed on the day but the water was still murky, there isn't anything to see snorkelling and swimming wasn't much fun in the murk. However we would still return as it was just really relaxing and the food is great!

It's not a great exciting adventure (other than the road there and back). The beach area can have seagrass but someone works continually to clean it up. However, what it is as a wonderful day of total pampering and wonderful hosts, service, drinks, and food. We've been twice and will always go back when in Costa Maya. This is a day out of your life when you just relax. Trip Advisor has lots of pictures and reviews on it. I might add, you must make reservations early. They only book a limited number of persons each day and it books full quickly.

the road is bumpy with lots of potholes, but very slow- not highway (or even 35 MPH)- I always figured we could walk it at the same speed! So if your wife's anxiety is from speed/crazy driving, this would not invoke that.

I hear a lot of talk about the road getting there. How bad is it? My wife gets anxiety real easy. Lol

It's real bumpy with big holes. Paved first portion but dirt the last half. The taxi drivers do take it very slow and weave and turn around all the holes. I don't think they want to hurt their vehicles. It's a state highway actually. But was told the state leaves it like it is because the off road tours like that and pay off accordingly.

I was probably a little early but I booked March 2019 in September 2017. Oddly, the first time I tried, probably when I actually booked the cruise in July 2017, there was no availability. I figured I'd try again a few months later and it worked!

roger001 - what would you suggest as the time window to book in to avoid disappointment

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You can email them as early as you wish for reservations. They respond quickly and are extremely honest. If your plans change, you can cancel up until your day of arrival. If your day is booked full, they might have a waiting list for spots if others cancel.

http://costamayabeachresort.com/

Thank you all - for the feed back and link - with all our years of cruising to warm waters we have never had Costa Maya as a port - that will change with a cruise I just booked for 2019 - and Maya Chan is at the top of my “must do” list [emoji267][emoji484][emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Visited there last October, loved it. Gonna try Nohoch Caye Beach Club in April of this year. You lose a bit of time traveling to and from Maya Chan; as others have stated the road is quite an adventure. Nohoch is very close to port. But I would still recommend Maya. The folks there are great, the food is good and the drinks are cold!

Water shoes are needed her due to the bottom topography in the water.

Good idea. It does smooth out after about the first ten feet. I go barefooted but just pick my way gently at first. Oh....the servers will bring you a drink out into the water. And there is usually a couple of lazy dogs just lying around waiting for either chips or to be petted. A peaceful and relaxing experience.

Check the Costa Maya port board. You will get a variety of opinions about Maya Chan there. Some people love it, some people think that there are much better beach resorts in the area that cost a lot less.