Renting a phone on Allure?

Hi! I just saw on another site that you might be able to rent an iPhone onboard to text family members. I tried to research this but the posts went back to 2012 and wasn't sure if this information is correct. If you can rent them, where on the ship do you rent them?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi! I just saw on another site that you might be able to rent an iPhone onboard to text family members. I tried to research this but the posts went back to 2012 and wasn't sure if this information is correct. If you can rent them, where on the ship do you rent them?

The iPhones are no longer available to rent. That experiment didn't go over very well.

You're welcome.

Check out the Royal App for smartphones. It does not have texting now, but I expect that to be added at some point.

Great! I will! You are such a huge help! Have you been on all the Royal Caribbean ships?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The daughter & I texted each other on our own phones. I will admit, we weren't even together on my last cruise with my husband, she was back in Colorado.

If you have wifi, you can do this, no extra charge.

If you do not have a wifi package, you are using cellular at sea, and will pay around 50 cents per text sent and 5 cents per received.

Some people have reported that even without a wifi package, they were able to send text messages, but I have not seen anyone claiming this for a long time.

I don’t think the issue was that the rentals of iPhones didn’t go very well. I know when I rented them on Oasis about 5 years ago they were very much in demand. I think it is more that technology has evolved and since virtually everyone has a phone, including kids, they can make a lot more money by selling WiFi packages then by renting phones.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The first year that Oasis sailed my group of 6 renting the new phones. We got our phones connected so that we could text to each other and use our phones to locate where each of us were. I thought they were pretty cool but have to admit we made several trips to tech support to get our phones re synced.

Now a confession. Up until this cruise I had never texted. My wife taught me as we sat next to each other in the theaters and we would text each other with these phones..