Everything... Norwegian ENCORE! Launch Nov 2019

TheDougOut

2 minutes ago, Beardface said:

Yep, and even though I haven't sailed on them, I see lots of reviews that shows regular MSC going through a lot of the same kind of nickel and diming, pushing for premium markups that the others do.

Its what all the entry level ships do.

I've been on the Oasis of the Seas, and for the size of the ship, the amount of outside deck space to use was tiny compared to the sheer size of the ship itself.  No, none of it was premium, but quite a lot of it was low density.  The basketball court, putt-putt, flow-rider, on the back of the ship were all low density that forced everyone ahead of the Viking Crown.  The area directly in front of the Viking Crown was the Kid's Zone, but that was closed most of the trip because kids kept pooping in it, so you really had room at the main pools and Solarium (adult-only).  Well, because the Solarium was glass-enclosed, without wind, it becomes a bit of a sauna, and because we went in the middle of July to the Caribbean, we dealt with slack air with 100+ temps the entire trip, so that area was vacant.  So 6k people on the ship with really only the main pools to use.

But you know what?  It was perfectly fine, and we had a great time.  The only real difference between that experience and what we'll see on the Encore is that the areas that weren't used on the Oasis were free, and on the Encore you'll have to pay a bit.  But the crowds should be similar, and it really wasn't a big deal, to be honest.

I don't know but when I walk outside of the Haven on NCL the pool decks already look extremely overcrowded with chairs touching each other.

We have sailed Oasis class ships, not in suites, but balconies and never felt the ship crowded, with exception of maybe when a show gets out but that goes away quickly.  For sea days, we utilize the solarium and we usually sail with between 6-10 people.  I LOVE the Oasis class ships for the very reason there is so much to do and I never feel crowded but know everyone is different.

I'm looking forward to my July 2020 sailing on Encore!  I've been on enough ships their inaugural year to know there is much speculation and those happy and upset to not get myself worked up.  I remember 9 years ago, when CCL first launched one of their ships we were sailing for my dd's 16th birthday, they were the first to have the outside promenade.  SO MANY PEOPLE complained, many booked their balconies right over the outside promenade, were so upset and now it's almost a given on a lot of different ships on various lines.  I was SO nervous taking that ship, never told my family all the reviews, and we had one of our best cruises ever (although I cannot remember the name LOL).

Happy sailing all!

1 minute ago, First_Time_Cruiser85 said:

Rtkenmore.....please tell me a ship pool area that accommodates 4000 people!LOL!

Ships are never relaxing places, beach holidays are relaxing places with zero distractions.

When the ship ports at different destinations don’t do any excursions then you will have the ship all to yourself!Lol

Take a few more cruises "first timer" and then we'll talk.  8 posts???  Really?

I've been on plenty of cruises and they are plenty relaxing as well with plenty of upper deck space to enjoy.  Encore is being severely limited on publicly available upper deck space.  You have your "first time" opinion... I have my cruised many times opinion.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, First_Time_Cruiser85 said:

Rtkenmore.....please tell me a ship pool area that accommodates 4000 people!LOL!

Ships are never relaxing places, beach holidays are relaxing places with zero distractions.

When the ship ports at different destinations don’t do any excursions then you will have the ship all to yourself!Lol

the left top deck at Escape ist relaxing and  a quit Zone. or H2O.

it is not about the pool only.

Edited by Steff79
  • Like 4

48 minutes ago, First_Time_Cruiser85 said:

Kateekat there are many bars close to the sea, Sugarcane Mojito Bar and the Cavern Club to name a few that are included in your Premium Beverage Package.

And there are several jacuzzis for you to sit in and read a book.

As noted by another poster, there are even fewer hot tubs on this ship that aren't behind a paywall, and my books are all on my iPad so not incredibly conducive to being near water.

I'm just disappointed because two of my favorite areas to spend time on my last cruise won't be available to me on this ship - at least without shelling out more $$$. I can, of course, stick to other ships that are more similar to the Escape (which I enjoyed) but I don't like the direction the newer ships have been trending.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, kayteecat said:

As noted by another poster, there are even fewer hot tubs on this ship that aren't behind a paywall, and my books are all on my iPad so not incredibly conducive to being near water.

I'm just disappointed because two of my favorite areas to spend time on my last cruise won't be available to me on this ship - at least without shelling out more $$$. I can, of course, stick to other ships that are more similar to the Escape (which I enjoyed) but I don't like the direction the newer ships have been trending.

Exactly.  I loved being able to go up to that area on Escape that was never crowded or over run with kids.  One of my favorite areas on Dawn is the front of the ship on the upper deck as well.  Great place to just sit and relax and enjoy the scenery as you sail.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, First_Time_Cruiser85 said:

Rtkenmore....you think correcting someone’s spelling is winning an argument?😂

Who cares I have not been on any cruises?I already know cruising is not for sunbathing, I go to Tahiti for that!

Cruising is all about the entertainment, restaurants, awesome food and visiting awesome new places.

Like seriously who cares about the public space on Encore.

It’s a ship and just like a hotel it’s sole purpose is to make money, if NCL want to charge people to use the 2 deck beach vibe area so what?

The joy you must bring on cruise ships!LOL!

Not picking sides here, but please just save and remember this post AFTER you're first cruise with NCL ok?  Many of us posting (complaining) here have been on 10-15-20 + NCL cruises.  We are NOT solely complaining about lack of space to sun bathe as you keep referring to.  We are complaining that NCL keeps raising the real estate on the pay-to-play areas and things to do.  

Some people do like to relax.  Some people do like to go to bars and restaurants.  Some people do like to go to the pool and slides.  Some people do like to do shows and live music.  Yes, everyone's idea of what is fun on vacation is different.  But I think everyone can agree that when you spend $2000-3000-4000 for a cruise, you expect that to be the majority of the spend.  If NCL keeps increasing areas that require you to spend more, that amount now doubles.  And from the artist renderings and floor plans, that is exactly what NCL is doing with Encore, and will likely do more with their next batch of ships.  

It's getting to the point, that cruising, which always was great bang for the buck value wise, might not be so much anymore if you have to pay to do anything outside of eat at the buffet.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, FreestyleNovice said:

He had premium acces! Wow! Found out after posting who's photos it were thanks to the website's name, went back to CruiseCritic to edit and give credit! Great photos!

Thanks for adding the credit! He´s at the shipyard for 3 days for research.

steamboats

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, MrMike45 said:

Not picking sides here, but please just save and remember this post AFTER you're first cruise with NCL ok?  Many of us posting (complaining) here have been on 10-15-20 + NCL cruises.  We are NOT solely complaining about lack of space to sun bathe as you keep referring to.  We are complaining that NCL keeps raising the real estate on the pay-to-play areas and things to do.  

Some people do like to relax.  Some people do like to go to bars and restaurants.  Some people do like to go to the pool and slides.  Some people do like to do shows and live music.  Yes, everyone's idea of what is fun on vacation is different.  But I think everyone can agree that when you spend $2000-3000-4000 for a cruise, you expect that to be the majority of the spend.  If NCL keeps increasing areas that require you to spend more, that amount now doubles.  And from the artist renderings and floor plans, that is exactly what NCL is doing with Encore, and will likely do more with their next batch of ships.  

It's getting to the point, that cruising, which always was great bang for the buck value wise, might not be so much anymore if you have to pay to do anything outside of eat at the buffet.  

Well said MrMike45. My wife and I feel the same way.

We've been trying to figure out our next cruise, and we definitely enjoy the Haven. When you start looking at the raising cost for a 7 day cruise, I can spend 2 weeks in Europe for that money. Our other sticking points with NCL these days are the Caribbean itineraries for the big ships has been a little stale the last few years. I know they have added Puerto Plata, but the DR has been going down hill. Besides, the DR is more of a resort island. I still can't understand the 6:00pm arrival in San Juan for the Encore itinerary. For now, we'll sit and wait to hear how the Encore is performing.

That said, I feel like our next NCL cruise will be on the Escape, we really enjoyed that ship. We may even consider the Getaway since it was revamped. However, it most likely will all come down to the itineraries. The western Caribbean is not the best with so many stops in Mexico and the whole Belize (not really Belize) stop. And the eastern Caribbean; they need to change it up a bit other than what I previously mentioned. I would love to see the big ship go back to St. Marten. Or St. Lucia would be a change, something other than Nassau and St. Thomas...

In the end, we can all complain about the costs, however when you look at competing cruise line, they are all fairly similar with the base costs and in some instances, we feel NCL does have a little more to offer in than most (I said a little...). It's really about person preference and what you like to do on  a cruise and whether or not you feel that there is still value in the product based on price. 

• Like 2

If this works and NCL touts the success of its new design, I'm sure we can expect it to be rolled out on the other BA/BA+ ships at each next dry dock. 

For that reason, we need to all hope this new expanded Vibe concept fails

1 minute ago, Alegeeter said:

If this works and NCL touts the success of its new design, I'm sure we can expect it to be rolled out on the other BA/BA+ ships at each next dry dock. 

For that reason, we need to all hope this new expanded Vibe concept fails

From what I can tell, it already has been changed on the Getaway

Edited by Kingkonig

I am sad about no Spice, we always travel with extended family and that was a place we could sit, talk, have a drink, and enjoy the view. That I can deal with. We don't fight the crowds at the pool but would occasionally find a lounger on a top deck. We were planning on Bermuda next summer and trying Haven for the first time, but probably not all of our group will be Haven. My issue now is the kids. Two will be 18 by then, one 16. The 16 year old likes the teen club but now that her cousin won't be able to go she may not as much. So besides the pool and slides, what can they do without always having to pay? That is now my issue. With no ropes course, rock climbing, mini golf, etc., will they be bored? Ugh There aren't many choices with NCL for next summer. Now wondering if we should go Royal next time and save Encore and Bermuda for later, maybe a no kids trip.

1 hour ago, Zena2005 said:

Well said MrMike45. My wife and I feel the same way.

We've been trying to figure out our next cruise, and we definitely enjoy the Haven. When you start looking at the raising cost for a 7 day cruise, I can spend 2 weeks in Europe for that money. Our other sticking points with NCL these days are the Caribbean itineraries for the big ships has been a little stale the last few years. I know they have added Puerto Plata, but the DR has been going down hill. Besides, the DR is more of a resort island. I still can't understand the 6:00pm arrival in San Juan for the Encore itinerary. For now, we'll sit and wait to hear how the Encore is performing.

That said, I feel like our next NCL cruise will be on the Escape, we really enjoyed that ship. We may even consider the Getaway since it was revamped. However, it most likely will all come down to the itineraries. The western Caribbean is not the best with so many stops in Mexico and the whole Belize (not really Belize) stop. And the eastern Caribbean; they need to change it up a bit other than what I previously mentioned. I would love to see the big ship go back to St. Marten. Or St. Lucia would be a change, something other than Nassau and St. Thomas...

In the end, we can all complain about the costs, however when you look at competing cruise line, they are all fairly similar with the base costs and in some instances, we feel NCL does have a little more to offer in than most (I said a little...). It's really about person preference and what you like to do on  a cruise and whether or not you feel that there is still value in the product based on price. 

Just an FYI:  Carnival, RCCL and MSC are all going to St. Maarten currently.

https://www.cruisemapper.com/ports/philipsburg-port-594

Click "Schedule"

Edited by GA Dave

32 minutes ago, GA Dave said:

Just an FYI:  Carnival, RCCL and MSC are all going to St. Maarten currently.

https://www.cruisemapper.com/ports/philipsburg-port-594

Click "Schedule"

Thanks Dave for sharing that website. 

We've been looking at other lines. If we did jump from NCL, we'd probably try out the MSC Seaside. I think RCCL could be a possible 2nd choice. 

For many reasons, we enjoyed the heck out of the Escape. More than likely we'll sail her again, probably soon than later. A great ship can definitely offset a repeat itinerary. 

As for the future NCL ships, I would like to see them move the Haven compound to the AFT, especially if Spice H2O at the AFT is phased out.   

3 minutes ago, Zena2005 said:

We've been looking at other lines. If we did jump from NCL, we'd probably try out the MSC Seaside. I think RCCL could be a possible 2nd choice. 

For many reasons, we enjoyed the heck out of the Escape. More than likely we'll sail her again, probably soon than later. A great ship can definitely offset a repeat itinerary. 

As for the future NCL ships, I would like to see them move the Haven compound to the AFT, especially if Spice H2O at the AFT is phased out.   

Here is another one you might enjoy:

https://www.portstmaartenwebcam.com/

2 minutes ago, Zena2005 said:

In addition to the Encore inaugural I have 4 more cruises booked....Gem, twice on Escape, and again on Epic. Love the big ships but really hope they don't make the Vibe changes like on Getaway. Funny that a Spice was actually added to Star during the refurb. Granted not a large but still a very nice adults only area. 

6 minutes ago, QueenOfZoom said:

In addition to the Encore inaugural I have 4 more cruises booked....Gem, twice on Escape, and again on Epic. Love the big ships but really hope they don't make the Vibe changes like on Getaway. Funny that a Spice was actually added to Star during the refurb. Granted not a large but still a very nice adults only area. 

I loved Spice on the Star. I had (wrongly) assumed it was on all ships until I got on the Jade. It was really nice on the Star to spend some time.

1 minute ago, snirpville said:

I loved Spice on the Star. I had (wrongly) assumed it was on all ships until I got on the Jade. It was really nice on the Star to spend some time.

We had been on Dawn previously and no Spice so this was a great surprise. Really like the Great Outdoors area on Sky, looking forward to that on Gem as well. 

1 hour ago, snirpville said:

We have sailed Star twice. They didn't have Spice back then. They didn't even have O'Sheehans. 🙂 Red Lion Pub was our favorite bar. We were on the Allure Of The Seas last year and decided, we prefer the smaller ships. We are cruising with a group on Encore, otherwise we would not have booked. I think we will have a great time!