From Victoria to Waterloo Stations by tube

mimi7ccr

Can anyone tell me if there is a direct tube line from Victoria to Waterloo Stations that would have no stairs, or that would have escalators or lifts involved? We are looking for easiest way as we are seniors with medium sized cases (1 each) and wanting to get to Southampton. We are staying in Earls Court area and realize District Line goes to Victoria. We could take train from there to Southampton, but would prefer leaving from Waterloo on faster train. This would be on a Monday morning, and ship does not leave Southampton until 20:00, so we have lots of time. If we transfer between stations, which routes should we take that would insure we have lifts? We could also taxi from Victoria to Waterloo, but what would be the cost?

Take a taxi. It should be between £10 and £15.

Trying to do Victoria to Waterloo step-free by Tube is asking for a world of pain. Well, that's a bit of an exaggeration, but it's complex: there is only one step-free entrance (at Cardinal Place) which I think is a lift down to the Victoria Line; you would have to take the Victoria Line to Green Park, escalator(s) up to ticket hall level (but not exit the barriers), escalator(s) down to Jubilee Line, escalators up to street level exit at Waterloo Tube, then escalator up to mainline concourse level.

If you're prepared to walk down stairs at Victoria and then down stairs again, you can get down to the District Line. It's then District Line to Westminster, and escalator down and escalator down to the Jubilee Line. Slightly shorter and an easier change at Westminster than at Green Park, but it is not step-free down to the District Line at Victoria.

You can do the change at Westminster by lifts. I'm not sure about changing by lift at Green Park; I know that you can lift, walk, lift between the Piccadilly Line and the Jubilee Line, but I'm not sure about the Victoria Line. But those lifts are pretty inefficient.

Gosh, I'm one of the biggest fans of public transport on these boards, but just reading those instructions has given me a headache...

OP, as a reference for any other steps-free questions you may have, here's a link to a site that was posted here years ago: https://www.directenquiries.com/featuredlocations.aspx?tabid=transport&tbclr=1 It will provide you with step-by-step instructions for any tube station you might be travelling from or to, with pictures in many instances. Very cool.

Horrible by tube, but there is a lovely little bus service, the 507, that just runs between the two stations.

But isn't your actual question about Earls Court to Waterloo, or am I misreading? Don't get off the District at Victoria, carry on to Westminster and do the change m'learned colleague describes there to the Jubilee for Waterloo.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you for all the replies. The Bus 507 sounds great. But yes, my real question is easiest way from Ibis Earls Court to Waterloo Station for train to Southampton on a Monday morning after peak hours. I believe the Ibis is really closer to the West Brompton tube station, but I think it's only stairs there. So if we walk to Earls Court Station, I believe there are lifts to District Line, and then lifts also at Westminster from District to Jubilee lines??? That would be wonderful.

Thank you for all the replies. The Bus 507 sounds great. But yes, my real question is easiest way from Ibis Earls Court to Waterloo Station for train to Southampton on a Monday morning after peak hours. I believe the Ibis is really closer to the West Brompton tube station, but I think it's only stairs there. So if we walk to Earls Court Station, I believe there are lifts to District Line, and then lifts also at Westminster from District to Jubilee lines??? That would be wonderful.

Funny coincidence - we stayed at the Ibis Earl's Court when it was a Ramada about 25 years ago. Yes, West Brompton is closer, but at the time there was no weekend service so we ended up walking to Earl's Court most of the time.

But if you're willing to walk there, you could walk to Fulham Broadway and catch a 211 bus straight to Waterloo.

But yes, my real question is easiest way from Ibis Earls Court to Waterloo Station for train to Southampton on a Monday morning after peak hours. I believe the Ibis is really closer to the West Brompton tube station, but I think it's only stairs there.
Sorry, I took your "Victoria to Waterloo" question at face value.

As it happens, I think that you are in luck. At West Brompton, it looks like there is lift access to the eastbound (sometimes called northbound) District Line - see here and here - which is the direction that you need.

Make sure that you get on to an Upminster, Tower Hill or Barking train (or, occasionally another one heading in that direction that terminates at a different station). These are the ones that call at Westminster. Do not get onto an Edgware Road or High Street Kensington train.

You can also get an overground train from West Brompton to Clapham Junction and change there for the train to Waterloo. There is a lift at West Brompton. You could probably book your entire journey from WB to Southampton this way. There is actually a direct train from Clapham Junction to Southampton at certain times of the day. Worth checking out!

Can anyone tell me if there is a direct tube line from Victoria...We could take train from there to Southampton, but would prefer leaving from Waterloo on faster train. This would be on a Monday morning, and ship does not leave Southampton until 20:00, so we have lots of time....We could also taxi from Victoria to Waterloo, but what would be the cost?

Hmmm! Quite a head scratcher...but...why not consider the National Express bus from Victoria Bus Station to Southampton Bus Station and then take a taxi in Southampton to the ship? This avoids the Tube, the train and the hassle all together. Just a suggestion...

You could consider taking a taxi to Victoria Coach station and take the National Express bus to Southampton. The bus driver will handle loading and unloading you luggage, and you can buy your ticket in advance for 5 pounds per person. That is what my husband and I plan on doing for our September cruise.

Link to more information on taking the bus.

https://www.londontoolkit.com/accommodation/victoria_coach_station.htm

You can also get an overground train from West Brompton to Clapham Junction and change there for the train to Waterloo. There is a lift at West Brompton. You could probably book your entire journey from WB to Southampton this way. There is actually a direct train from Clapham Junction to Southampton at certain times of the day. Worth checking out!

Now this is an idea! Both stations have lifts, so no worries about stairs. I know lots are down on Clapham Junction, but 2 summers ago we spent a month travelling through there on a regular basis, and I found it fine - big no doubt, but very efficient and easy to find your way. I would definitely time my journey to catch the Southampton train at Clapham Junction and not have to go all the way to Waterloo.

Wow, what a lot of options!! Yes. I had considered Nat. Express Coach from Vic. to Southampton, but we just really like train travel, and

it sort of takes traffic & accidents out of the equation. The overground from W.Brompton to Clapham Junction also sounds pretty good. I've got some time so will ponder all these options. Thanks so much for all the replies.

We are seriously considering the Overground from West Brompton to Clapham Junction and switching to the train from Waterloo to Southampton. Do we use our Oyster cards on the Overground, or do we buy a train ticket? If so, which railway do we use? I need a little more detailed information on this route. There are several stations at CJ. Do we change at the CJ Rail Station? Is the train from Waterloo to Southampton a Southern train?? Please forgive my ignorance, but a little more information would really help. Please and thank you!!

We are seriously considering the Overground from West Brompton to Clapham Junction and switching to the train from Waterloo to Southampton. Do we use our Oyster cards on the Overground, or do we buy a train ticket? If so, which railway do we use? I need a little more detailed information on this route. There are several stations at CJ. Do we change at the CJ Rail Station? Is the train from Waterloo to Southampton a Southern train?? Please forgive my ignorance, but a little more information would really help. Please and thank you!!

Firstly, there is only one Clapham Junction train station. If you search on the National Rail website, you will see 3 stations with Clapham in their names come up, but at least 1 of them is in Yorkshire... So be sure you're looking at Clapham Junction.

In my search, I'm seeing both Southern trains starting at Victoria and South Western trains starting in Waterloo. I would definitely favour the South Western trains and they are a good hour faster. Price-wise it doesn't make a major distance if you purchase the 2 segments together or separately (as you would effectively be doing if you used the Oyster-ticket combo), so unless you have lots of money left on your Oyster that you want to use up I would probably just buy 1 ticket from West Brompton to Southampton Central.

I would definitely favour the South Western trains and they are a good hour faster. Price-wise it doesn't make a major distance if you purchase the 2 segments together or separately (as you would effectively be doing if you used the Oyster-ticket combo), so unless you have lots of money left on your Oyster that you want to use up I would probably just buy 1 ticket from West Brompton to Southampton Central.
I'm laughing because PhilbeachTraveller has hit one of my big public transport weaknesses: I don't know my way around the south-of-the-river suburban mainline services.

The one thing that I'm not sure about is whether a National Rail through ticket from West Brompton to Southampton Central would allow travel on the London Overground between West Brompton and Clapham Junction. If it doesn't, then using the Overground on an Oyster would require touching out at Clapham Junction and then re-entering through the gateline using the Clapham Junction - Southampton Central National Rail ticket. This would be a faff, especially with luggage. An alternative might be to buy a paper ticket for West Brompton to Clapham Junction on the Overground, so that there is no need to touch out at Clapham Junction.

There are also Southern services from West Brompton to Clapham Junction, and these are valid with a through ticket from West Brompton to Southampton Central. But I agree that from Clapham Junction to Southampton Central, it's definitely better (ie faster) to use a South Western train.

I'm laughing because PhilbeachTraveller has hit one of my big public transport weaknesses: I don't know my way around the south-of-the-river suburban mainline services.

The one thing that I'm not sure about is whether a National Rail through ticket from West Brompton to Southampton Central would allow travel on the London Overground between West Brompton and Clapham Junction. If it doesn't, then using the Overground on an Oyster would require touching out at Clapham Junction and then re-entering through the gateline using the Clapham Junction - Southampton Central National Rail ticket. This would be a faff, especially with luggage. An alternative might be to buy a paper ticket for West Brompton to Clapham Junction on the Overground, so that there is no need to touch out at Clapham Junction.

There are also Southern services from West Brompton to Clapham Junction, and these are valid with a through ticket from West Brompton to Southampton Central. But I agree that from Clapham Junction to Southampton Central, it's definitely better (ie faster) to use a South Western train.

Yes, you just buy one train ticket all the way through from West Brompton to Southampton Central. Don’t mess about with an Oyster card! And avoid the options which also make you change at Basingstoke. Fewer changes the better with luggage! But allow plenty of time to change trains at Clapham Junction. They have lifts up and down from each platform, but it is a very big station and not always easy to see which platform number you need.

Another thing to consider is that at Waterloo you are at the start of the service, so will be able to board before departure time and get settled (with largest choice of seats). Clapham Junction is an intermediate stop, so the train will only be stopping briefly.

Wouldn't bother me, but perhaps for folk not familiar with the system or trains generally it might be a little more stressful.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums