Miss 6:00pm Reservation MDR-what if?

CM1984

On our previous cruise we had a long tour that would be getting back after our early dining time....we spoke to the Maitre D as we were leaving the dining room the night before to tell him that we wouldn't be there....he replied to come anyway and they would seat us. They did just that! Otherwise we would have gone to the Lido. It's worth a try. Have a great cruise!

If you know you're going to miss your time, it's polite to advise your regular Maitre D' the night before. If it's unplanned, and you're just slightly late, check when you get there and see if they can seat you. If that doesn't work, and you prefer not to do the buffet, go ahead and ask at "anytime". It's not an unreasonable request, and quite possible that they'll find you a spot. If not, no harm done.

I'm not familiar with a 6pm dining reservation, other than for Open Dining, and 6pm is a difficult time slot to get, often it's 5:00 - 5:45 for reservations made up to 3 days in advance, on board.

Early fixed seating is usually 5:30; Main fixed seating is usually 8; you have 15 minutes grace period to be seeated.

So a 6pm reservation (inferred for the whole cruise) sounds like Open Dining, in which case if you miss your time slot, just come later, they will give the table to someone else after 15 minutes.

If you are thinking you have a fixed seating I think you have the time wrong. If you miss a fixed dining seating by more than 15 minutes, technically you may be directed to another dining venue, including room service (you can order from the MDR menu), Lido or a specialty restaurant. The dining staff might be able to be flexible enough to seat you as Open Dining, but it's shouldn't be assumed that some nights you can do Fixed, and some nights you can do Open.

If you have a conflict with a Fixed Dining time, alert them; if you have a conflict with an Open Dining reservation that you can't make, alert them and make a different reservation or come as a walk-in at the time that works for you.

That's my interpretation, and maybe I've missed something. m--

If you have a fixed dining time and know you can’t make it, then you should advise your Maitre D’ in advance and plan to eat at the Lido or make a reservation at a specialty restaurant. You cannot switch over to Open Dining—no more than those who have Open Dining can switch over to fixed.

I am a little bit confused over the "cannot switch over to open dining" comments. I have, on occasion, not made my fixed dining time and dropped into open dining instead. They have not turned me away.

The line ups can be long for open dining without fixed diners adding to that. It's only right that you pick one or the other. If a person doesn't want to commit to fixed then open seems to be a good choice. When I've missed my fixed time for dinner I simply go elsewhere. It wouldn't dawn on me to go to the open. It's not the right thing to do.

I'm not familiar with a 6pm dining reservation, other than for Open Dining, and 6pm is a difficult time slot to get, often it's 5:00 - 5:45 for reservations made up to 3 days in advance, on board.

Early fixed seating is usually 5:30; Main fixed seating is usually 8; you have 15 minutes grace period to be seeated.

So a 6pm reservation (inferred for the whole cruise) sounds like Open Dining, in which case if you miss your time slot, just come later, they will give the table to someone else after 15 minutes.

If you are thinking you have a fixed seating I think you have the time wrong. If you miss a fixed dining seating by more than 15 minutes, technically you may be directed to another dining venue, including room service (you can order from the MDR menu), Lido or a specialty restaurant. The dining staff might be able to be flexible enough to seat you as Open Dining, but it's shouldn't be assumed that some nights you can do Fixed, and some nights you can do Open.

If you have a conflict with a Fixed Dining time, alert them; if you have a conflict with an Open Dining reservation that you can't make, alert them and make a different reservation or come as a walk-in at the time that works for you.

That's my interpretation, and maybe I've missed something. m--

Gosh! Thank you so much for all of this detail! Wow! I just checked the HAL Booking Confirmation, and it said Early Dining, I guess my brain turned it into 6:00pm. You are so very kind to clarify this for me! Of course, I would have figured it out when getting my card and realizing the exact time! 😂🤣😅😃

Gosh! Thank you so much for all of this detail! Wow! I just checked the HAL Booking Confirmation, and it said Early Dining, I guess my brain turned it into 6:00pm. You are so very kind to clarify this for me! Of course, I would have figured it out when getting my card and realizing the exact time! 😂🤣😅😃

I hope it all works out for you! Enjoy, m--

I am a little bit confused over the "cannot switch over to open dining" comments. I have, on occasion, not made my fixed dining time and dropped into open dining instead. They have not turned me away.

I see nothing wrong with that if your schedule has been upset unexpectedly, which was the situation posited by the original questioner. "Anytime" dining, by its very nature, will have a variable flow and quantity of diners, so the occasional refugees from fixed are not going to upset the staff or throw a wrench into their operation. Just don't wear your jeans ;p

On an Alaska cruise our port departure time was 10:30 pm, we arrived early afternoon, we had early dining and due to some miscommunication with a tour company, our tour was changed and delayed, we were not back to the ship in time for our early seating dinner. We went to anytime, there was not only no line, but the dining room was pretty much empty. (I assume because many people were still in port.) It was about 7:30 pm. My friend has dietary restrictions and they were even able to retrieve her special meal for her. My husband and I had a similar situation on a Mexican Riviera cruise and the Maitre de was fine with it, so in the Alaska situation we didn't even think to ask.