Recommendations for a privte transfer from Rome to Civ and then back

hrmkr

Hello,

Looking for recommendations on which companies have the best price, service, reliability, etc to take my wife and I and maybe another couple if I can find someone to share the cost from Rome to Civ and then back after leaving the ship. Do they offer any type of discounts if you book the transfer both ways?

I know there have been several companies frequently mentioned on the boards. romecabs, romeinlomo, etc.

We are sailing on May 2. When would be a good time to book the transfer. We can worry about finding someone to split the cost when we get closer to sailing date.

Cruisemom, still waiting on hopefully 1 restaurant recommendation...:)

Thanks,

Howard

I could not get a response from the two most frequently mentioned companies last fall. Contacted NCC Airport and arranged a pickup from the airport to Rome, then the next day 3 hours touring with drop-off at the cruise port. Very satisfied with the price and service.

I looked at a few companies and they want to know how many people when you sign up. I do not know at this time. I will ask on the roll call when it gets closer to see if anyone wants to split the costs with me not knowing how many are in their group. Also, the price would change since they charge extra for 2 pickup/dropoff points in Rome.

Few options:

1) take a chance and wait to book the transfer

2) book the transfer and tell them number of passengers is unknown at the time

3) ask people now on the roll call to commit?

I've booked with RomeinLimo for the xfer to Rome.

If you go to their tour sharing site, you pick the number of passengers. I then post the information to the roll call looking for people to share the transfer. Filled up quickly!

Like already said, do this sooner rather than later.

BTW, I've used RIL several times and they've always been great to deal with.

I looked at the prices for RIL and RomeCabs. There is a price difference.

RIL:

4 people from Rome to Civ= 190 euro

6 people = 200 euro

RomeCabs:

4 people from Rome to Civ= 150

6 people =170

If both are basically the same in quality and reliability, might as well go with the cheapest

Which is the best option to try to get others to join the 2 of us. Looking to get 2 or 4 extra people from roll call?

Doing the private transfer is definitely the best way to go. The high speed train costs 16 euro each + 2 euro to get to the train in Civ. Once in Rome at Termini, will need a taxi to take us to our airbnb which will add costs.

Also, do not have to worry about locking up your bags and keeping an eye on them on the train so they do not get stolen. Piece of mind and safety is worth the small extra cost.

... Which is the best option to try to get others to join the 2 of us. Looking to get 2 or 4 extra people from roll call? ...

Yes, posting on the Roll Call is the only acceptable way to do tour/ride sharing inquiries on Cruise Critic. Good luck!

If you don't mind a shared shuttle (e.g., the shuttle may or may not pick up others in addition to yourselves), try Romashuttle.com. Their shared shuttle is 70 euro for two people and no worries about finding others to share.

I have used them for myself and for others and they are reliable. They don't promise any bells and whistles but I don't need a tour guide on a transfer. Just a good driver who knows where to drop me off. ;)

Restaurants? :lips-sealed:

Which is the best option to try to get others to join the 2 of us. Looking to get 2 or 4 extra people from roll call?

Post on your RC that you are looking for 2 to 4 people to share a transfer, with details of the company and the price.

What I do, once I get a commitment for excursions, is ask the other 2 or 4 to send me an email. Then I get more personal information, such as full names and cabin numbers, and make payment arrangements. RIL doesn't require payment up front so everyone pays that day. I don't know what the policy is for RomeCabs.

If I have to pay upfront ... has happened with a couple of excursions ... I make arrangements for payments to me, in US$, typically the day/time we meet for the excursion but some people have searched me out on board ship to pay me.

Do I need to tell the company how many people will be in the car? Hopefully I can get people to share it with to split the costs.

Howard

Hi,

The company will need to know how many people they need to transfer so they can provide the proper size of vehicle. 1 to 3 with luggage that about the max for a sedan.

For our transfer last year, we had 8 with luggage and a van was able to accommodate us. I am sure you can make changes later on as needed after you make your initial booking - we could with the company that we used.

We used Antonio Cagnoli & son. They responded very quickly to any email, provided excellent service at a price that I was happy with. I did contact both of the companies mentioned on this thread but I did not like their price and also did not like the requirements that a CC had to be provided during the initial booking.