Steakhouse Questions

JMCruising

Don't consider the chef's table then...I hear that takes like 4 hrs lol

Chef's Table is definitely not for us. We're picky eaters and wouldn't waste 4 hours doing that. I know those that do like eating a broad spectrum of things and spending hours doing that seem to love it.

it's not 4 hours. We started at 6:30 and were done by 9. Chef's Table is a wonderful experience, not just a meal. We had a very vibrant table and the conversation was very nice and not political. We all had a great time and left stuffed and buzzed. The wine is continually poured. liberally all night.

I am hardly a wine expert, but growing up near Napa, I've learned that A) There are some great wines under $10...most of the wine I drink is around $10. B.) Drink what you like irregardless of cost, C) Pairings don't work for me. With that in mind, I plan to ask for a tasting of their house wine & if I don't care for it or if a tasting isn't possible, I'll just purchase a different wine for 50 % off.

Thanks!

We tolerate Two Buck Chuck from Trader Joe's (you know what you are getting) but have found that many of our favorite wines are around the $7-$20 mark. As you noted, price isn't always a factor in finding a good dinner wine.

I spent a few years around the wineries on the Central Coast in Cali and can attest that some of the inexpensive ones are just as palatable as an expensive bottle (I have had both).

Sounds like it would be worth it to try anyway to see.

The wine is Santa Carolina, a Chilean wine. The red is a merlot and the white is, I believe, a chardonnay. They are comparable to many $8-10 bottles you will find in stores. Some have found the quality lacking, while some are just fine with it. Pretty much the reviews you would expect from a wine in that price range.

I have had mixed success with Chilean wines. We are currently on a kick with Malbec from Argentina. Those generally run about $6-$30 bottle.

Guess we'll have to try it out!

I imagine some of the confusion as to what is expected may come from people who have sailed Carnival for a long time. The blurb on Carnival's website for quite a long while explicitly stated the 35.00 per person charge included a tip.

That language disappeared about a year ago.

My guess is that old timers, familiar with the Steakhouse, probably added a tip anyway, but knew it was technically included. Since Carnival deleted that statement, it's a reasonable question for newcomers to ask.

My next guess is that once they experience the great service provided there, they will leave a commensurate tip.

As of today February 5, 2018 this is still in the FAQ section There is a nominal fee of $35 USD per adult and $10 USD per child, 11 and under (when ordering from the Kids' menu, available upon request). The fee includes a starter, salad, entrée, dessert and the wait staffs’ gratuity; additional gratuities are optional and may be extended in cash or to the guest's Sail & Sign Account, at the guest's discretion. The fee does not include any beverage that is normally ordered through bar service such as wine, liquor, soda and bottled water.

As of today February 5, 2018 this is still in the FAQ section There is a nominal fee of $35 USD per adult and $10 USD per child, 11 and under (when ordering from the Kids' menu, available upon request). The fee includes a starter, salad, entrée, dessert and the wait staffs’ gratuity; additional gratuities are optional and may be extended in cash or to the guest's Sail & Sign Account, at the guest's discretion. The fee does not include any beverage that is normally ordered through bar service such as wine, liquor, soda and bottled water.

Thank you. That's very interesting. I didn't check the FAQs, just the dining section on the website.