Glacier Bay Excursions

kathyemma

Ah!!! Well that explains it. The fact that it gave Times for when we were in Port confused me!!

The times are listed so you know when to be awake and viewing the majestic beauty outside. Not that any of the views on an Alaska cruise are bad, but these are what these cruises are all about. Whales are sometimes visible from the ship as you head into and out of the entrance to GBNP, so if you like to see whales, be ready to get up early.

The times are listed so you know when to be awake and viewing the majestic beauty outside. Not that any of the views on an Alaska cruise are bad, but these are what these cruises are all about. Whales are sometimes visible from the ship as you head into and out of the entrance to GBNP, so if you like to see whales, be ready to get up early.

Thank you!!! Whales and wildlife are the entire reason for this trip!! We will be up early!!

I am just starting to research Glacier Bay. Three of us will be there June 1st - 7am to 4pm. What are some fun excursions or things to do on our own. I am booking excursions thru Costo and they list NOTHING for this stop!

TIA

And this will help, too - a Park Service video sharing how to enjoy your day at Glacier Bay!

https://www.nps.gov/media/video/view.htm?id=C3DE800C-1DD8-B71C-0770772C503276A4

Thanks, Kathy.

I never would have believed it but believe it or not it was mid-April.

We were returning from the last leg of a long voyage and we were the first ship of the season about three weeks before the season began. Many of us were concerned about visiting Alaska so early in terms of the weather but we really lucked out that day.

We have visited Glacier Bay every other month during the season except for September and you just never know what to expect.

In fact, we visited there on two different back to back voyages and one one it was a really nice day (not as nice as the April one but nice) and on the other one it was overcast and rainy. But all of this is what makes visiting Alaska very special and why as many times as we have visited Alaska we will return for future cruises.

Keith

The first time we went to Glacier Bay the weather was spectacular and we were up early and experienced so much. I got tired and went back to my cabin, but my husband stayed up and went to the other side as the ship turned. Then there was a loud crack and boom!! I did not know what happened, even though I had experienced calving that morning, but my husband knew. As the ship was still rocking he told me about the huge calving of Margarie glacier. One ranger said he had never seen it that large before. Of course my husband did not have the camera but certainly remembered it clearly!!

Like Keith, we were really fortunate to have great weather (sunny and completely clear) at Glacier Bay at the end of May one year. One of the most awe-inspiring places I've ever been. And yes, that thunderous sound of the ice calving is amazing. kathyemma, one of my favorite wildlife sightings was there - an eagle hitching a ride on a small iceberg.

I just finished reading this thread, I watched park ranger video clip the above poster posted, about what to expect on the GB day at sea, I pretty much got teary eyed just thinking about it. I will be seeing Glacier Bay for the first time this summer. It will be my second time in Alaska! I will first be viewing Hubbard Glacier on August 5 from 3pm to 8pm. Then the next day, my Glacier Bay viewing time on my itinerary says from 9:15am to 7:30pm! Seriously? it's gonna be in the bay that long?? pretty spectacular. Knowing me I wont get enough of the spectacular scenery and will be out the whole entire time!!

So my questions are, if it says on the itinerary I'll be entering the Bay at 9:15am, how early should I be outside to spot whales? and does Glacier Bay pass Hoonah, icy strait point?

JP-Cruise wishing you a wonderful time.

You'll find that people aren't out the entire time as they aren't for the entire transit of the Panama Canal.

Hopefully the weather will cooperate.

Keith

Thanks Keith, your pictures are absolutely phenomenal and gave me goosebumps! got me even more excited for this day! What kind of camera did you use to take those photos?

Thanks Keith, your pictures are absolutely phenomenal and gave me goosebumps! got me even more excited for this day! What kind of camera did you use to take those photos?

Thank you so much.

I used a Nikon DLSR D7100.

It is a terrific camera but that day just about any camera would have worked. :)

Keith

Thank you so much.

I used a Nikon DLSR D7100.

It is a terrific camera but that day just about any camera would have worked. :)

Keith

The clarity of this camera truly shows just how majestic the nature of this state truly is. Last year I was happy with just my little pocket digital camera but after seeing your pics I think it would be a good idea to invest in one of these. I'm not entirely educated on how to use them yet but could you tell me what lens you used to capture something like that?

The clarity of this camera truly shows just how majestic the nature of this state truly is. Last year I was happy with just my little pocket digital camera but after seeing your pics I think it would be a good idea to invest in one of these. I'm not entirely educated on how to use them yet but could you tell me what lens you used to capture something like that?

Thank you again.

I used a Nikon 28-300mm Lens.

The nice thing about this one is that you can use it for both closeups or for taking shots from great distances so to me it has turned out to be my go to lens.

Keith

Thank you again.

I used a Nikon 28-300mm Lens.

The nice thing about this one is that you can use it for both closeups or for taking shots from great distances so to me it has turned out to be my go to lens.

Keith

You're very welcome? so, if the ship is scheduled to arrive at 9:15, I should aim to be outside at 8 to do some whale watching? is an hour early good?