Walk around cash

ClevelandKid

On the Venice to Athens cruise - 10 days long. Excluding shopping, which is as unique as the person, what is a good amount of "walk around" cash to have? I know tips onboard Viking are covered, but do you tip excursion guides? Anybody else? Is 150 Euros enough? Or given everything onboard is covered, is that too much? I anticipate using my credit card to charge purchases when I can.

Thanks!

Tipping for Guides who give talks at public sights or on bus or boat tours often hold out their hands for tips after they give their spiel. If I've already paid for the tour or admission to the sight, I don't tip extra (but if you want to tip, a euro or two is enough for a job well done). In general, if someone in the service industry does a super job for you, a tip of a couple of euros is appropriate...but not required.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Viking recommends (for their tours) 2 euros per person for the guide and 1 euro per person for the driver.

If you book a private tour then obviously you would tip according to the customs of that country/location.

How are you getting to and from the ship---think through your means of transportation and any hotel stays.

Again---tip according to local custom for taxis, bellman, restaurant meals, etc.

We also use credit cards whenever possible, but in Europe we always leave the tip in cash as in many locations the server may not get the tip if it is left on credit card.

150 Euros seems a little light to me but you can always seek out an ATM if you run low.

Google Rick Steve's article on tipping in Europe---that may help you.

I always get some Euros from my bank before I leave with some smaller bills. Then,if need be, I go to an bank ATM to get some more. While in Europe. when you make your first purchase, you will probably receive some coins in your change back. After my trip I always have some leftover that I use as seed money for my next trip.

I will probably bring at least 300 E when I leave home. I also use my credit card when in hotel or shop for my purchases of clothes, shoes, etc I love shoes made in Italy and Spain. :hearteyes:

I always get some Euros from my bank before I leave with some smaller bills. Then,if need be, I go to an bank ATM to get some more. While in Europe. when you make your first purchase, you will probably receive some coins in your change back. After my trip I always have some leftover that I use as seed money for my next trip.

I will probably bring at least 300 E when I leave home. I also use my credit card when in hotel or shop for my purchases of clothes, shoes, etc I love shoes made in Italy and Spain. :hearteyes:

Since we go to Euroland on a regular basis, we try to come home with a couple hundred euro to seed our next trip. Easier than worrying about finding an ATM at the airport and cheaper than buying them from a U.S. bank.

Since we go to Euroland on a regular basis, we try to come home with a couple hundred euro to seed our next trip. Easier than worrying about finding an ATM at the airport and cheaper than buying them from a U.S. bank.

Wish I could go more often :( but it is not to be. Every other year seems to work. I am single, and need to find a friend or my sister ,the school teacher, to be my roommate. Coordinating various schedules takes time.

Our take is more is better than less. There is a safe in the room so not like you have to carry it with you everywhere. A few hundred in $1/$5 and more in bigger bills. There are quite a number of countries that either use the US$ or readily take it along with their own currency. Our bank, unless we find one of their atm s, charges 3% plus $5 for other atm use. Plus it is nice to return home with any unused cash.