Baltic Shore Excursion

magnolia1484

I am sailing NCL Breakaway in September. I have been told that the cruise ships dock in the city center. Is that correct?

I was also told that you are not allowed to wander St. Petersburg unless you were on an organized tour. Is that true? Any idea how far from the ship to Palace Square?

I've read about great metro stations in the Baltic region. Can anyone give more information about this?

Can I use USD currency in Baltic countries or do I need local currency? I will use a mix of credit card and cash for small purchases.

Can anyone advise how far from where the ships dock in Stockholm and Helsinki to the Old Town or downtown areas for shopping?

Lots of questions---appreciate your thoughts.

Also when you post on the Northern Europe Ports Of Call Board please be sure to list out all of the countries you are visiting which will assist in people letting you know about whether or not local currency is needed for cash purchases.

Also welcome to Cruise Critic.

Keith

Thank you. I will try again.

I am visiting the following countries in May 2018 on NCL Breakaway:

Copenhagen

Berlin (Warnemunde)

Tallinn

St. Petersburg

Helsinki

Stockholm

1. What I would like to know is how close to town does the ship dock. I realize it is 3 hours to Berlin. I am interested in the other countries. Are we able to walk or take a cab?

2. Has anyone visited the metro stations as I hear some of them are spectacular.

3. I now realize you cannot roam around St. Petersburg on your own without a Visa (thanks Keith).

4. In each of the countries noted, do they accept USD for small purchases or do I require local currency if I don't want to use my credit card for small gifts.

Many thanks

Visited most of these ports in June on RC.

Copenhagen - Hop on Hop off bus at the ship and also a shuttle that takes you round trip into town, we did the shuttle , cannot remember the price

Tallinn - Easy 15 min walk to the old town, not the local currency but they accepted Euros readily

St Peters burg - we toured with SPB (great experience). We did not purchase anything (lunches included in tour) but if you do you will need rubles unless in a tourist shop.

Helsinki - walked in town about 40 minutes

Stockholm - Toured again with SPB, looked like a long walk into town not sure if there was a shuttle

Sweden, Denmark, Finland are close to a cashless society, our credit card was accepted every ware and seems to be the preferred method of payment.

Hope this helps have a great cruise