'More European than American'

stardust3000

Hi

I am thinking of booking a cruise on MSC, primarily because of price, but I keep seeing the comments that they are more European than American. However, I can't quite work out what this actually means!

In what way did you find the cruise to be more 'European'. Was it the food, the entertainment, the service? I am European, by the way, but have only sailed American lines in the past.

Also, I have never sailed a line that had fixed dining times. On the Bella or Fantastica packages, I can see that you have fixed dining, this doesn't bother me, but would me and my other half be able to get a table for two, or do we have to share a larger table?

We like the fact that the experience tilts to more European than United States / American. We are Black Card members, and did not have an issue getting a table for 2 on our last Divina sailing, and do not anticipate an issue for the other 5 we have booked on other ships.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi

I am thinking of booking a cruise on MSC, primarily because of price, but I keep seeing the comments that they are more European than American. However, I can't quite work out what this actually means!

In what way did you find the cruise to be more 'European'. Was it the food, the entertainment, the service? I am European, by the way, but have only sailed American lines in the past.

Also, I have never sailed a line that had fixed dining times. On the Bella or Fantastica packages, I can see that you have fixed dining, this doesn't bother me, but would me and my other half be able to get a table for two, or do we have to share a larger table?

"Was it the food, the entertainment, the service" All of the above, from what former passengers have reported. Food more European-oriented (I don't know what part of Europe you're from, but it seems more typical of what you'd find at a European hotel buffet), dinner service less rushed than the US, pizza and gelato are Italian-style, musical selections more refined (Iight opera and classical music plus the Sinatra and Michael Jackson tributes). Announcements and signs in multiple languages. Such things are what make it more European than American. HTH.

are teh tables for 2 limited in the yacht club restaurant as well?

No, there are generally enough 2-tops for the number requiring them. The restaurant tends to be set up subject to the numbers on any given cruise. It's possible that if too many come at the same time that there wouldn't be enough and you may have to wait, but I've never experienced this nor have I ever read of it happening.

At embarkation, they often ask you to state a preferred dining time. This is for the very logistics we're talking about.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Forums mobile app

Having sailed on MSC in both fantastica and Yacht Club, I believe the greater difference is that MSc is a budget cruise line. Yes, some differences may be due to MSC being Italian based, but I spent a month in Italy last summer and very much enjoyed all of the food and service and would consider non low quality.

I do very much enjoy MSc and think it’s a great value. If you adjust expectations to align with price paid you are far ahead of the majority of passengers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk