1st time Alaskan cruiser with kids that love the pool. Will an Alaskan cruise be ok?

asomante

We have done several Caribbean cruises and the kids love the pool area. What's the pool scene during an Alaskan cruise? Can kids still enjoy the pool or is it too cold for that? Thinking NCL Bliss in August. Thanks.

We have done several Caribbean cruises and the kids love the pool area. What's the pool scene during an Alaskan cruise? Can kids still enjoy the pool or is it too cold for that? Thinking NCL Bliss in August. Thanks.

Hmm..You best bet is to check just what the temps are going to be that week. Believe me, it can get VERY chilly even in August. My wife and I did an Inland cruise (Tracey'sArm,Skagway, Ketchakan) the middle of June 2010. I know that's centuries ago:D ( In cruise-age) . But we were on deck, during both 'at sea and port visits' and only saw a hand full of hearty souls willing to brave the outside pools You might check and see if THE bliss also has an inside pool, as well. Welcome to Cruise Critic ! And have an EXCELLENT cruise !:D

Mac

There isn't going to be any way to tell for sure. Every year the weather changes from day to day, week to week. My parents did their Princess cruise the first one of the season, in May. My mom was sitting by the pool in her bathing suit, soaking up the sun. Our July cruise 2 years ago we used the hot tub on our first day before leaving Seattle. After that, no way! I think our teenage son did the hot tub one other day. But there were very few people using it, and it was indoors/covered, on Carnival.

Pools are supposed to be heated on the Bliss last I heard. I don't think it'll be as crowded as a tropical weather trip though.

I've got a picture of my mother-in-law in a Princess pool in Alaska. She's the only one on deck, steam rising up from the pool (not hot tub), but she said she was comfortable. I'm pretty sure I was wearing at least a sweatshirt or jacket as it was pretty gloomy that day.

Thank you all. We picked the Bliss in part because my kids love the slides and aqua park. I just hope they can enjoy them or they will be disappointed.

We chose the Bliss for this reason too!

I’m hoping they can try the slides a few times. we are cruising in July 2019.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm hoping we get lucky with a warm day in Seattle in June on embarkation day so the kids can enjoy the pools and water slide once before heading north to Alaska.

Otherwise I'm not holding my breathe. Everyone says the weather is so sporadic on Alaska cruises. One day it can be a high of 80, the next a high of 40.

Took my granddaughter late May 2016. When we boarded in Whittier, the sun was shining and as soon as we had lunch, headed to the pool. My granddaughter swam 3xday on nonport days, and even I got in the pool! All around us I could hear people saying to their companions, "I thought you said we had to leave swimsuits and shorts at home."

Of course can't guarantee weather like that for every cruise, but there is always a chance. Kids don't seem to mind inclement weather when there's a pool and water slides, anyway.