Cove Balcony-Lifeboats overhead or not?

ashton57

Hoping to find those that have stayed in a cove balcony cabin with a lifeboat overhead and without which did you prefer? and why? I realize there are a few cabins without a lifeboat overhead and trying to decide if its worth trying to book one of those.

The lifeboats overhead didn't bother us at all. They don't obstruct your view, unless you are looking straight up. I love the Cove balconies and wouldn't hesitate to stay in one. I love how close you are to the water and it's quiet. Plus it's protected a bit better from the wind. The only drawback is you will get sea salt collect on the railing. Just wipe it off and you're good to go.

I love the cove balconies! Sailing in the third one, on a third ship in May. Last month on Vista we were in one and we were right between the lifeboats, so we got a bit of sun there.I love being that close to the water, especially at night, it's incredibly peaceful.

Cove balconies are the worst balconies on the ship. I’d avoid them at all costs.

I did the first Vista transatlantic in a Cove balcony. Sadly (it being the Atlantic in winter), they felt obliged to close the rough weather doors, which of course, took away the balcony - and - because they economized on ship construction, the doors only had two "dogs" - the big latches that secure them in place. (US Navy ships would have at a minimum 6, if not 8 "dogs" to "dog down the hatches and watertight doors.") The squeaking and groaning of the metal door was horrendous, after two nights we begged to move to an available interior cabin.

Sadly, I can't recommend a Cove cabin - I'd have to be absolutely positive the weather wasn't going to turn bad - and it's just not worth it to me.

I get way too excited whenever I am on a ship with Cove balconies. They are fantastic and the life boats overhead have never been a problem for us. As a matter of fact, as native Floridians we get enough sun and strongly prefer the shade offered by the boats. My next cruise is on the Conquest and sadly it won't be in a Cove.

Hoping to find those that have stayed in a cove balcony cabin with a lifeboat overhead and without which did you prefer? and why? I realize there are a few cabins without a lifeboat overhead and trying to decide if its worth trying to book one of those.

We were on the Vista recently and stayed in 2308 (cove balcony) and we did not have a lifeboat overhead. The extra light and view were very nice.

My observation was that our cabin, the one aft, and the 4 or 5 forward of us did not have lifeboats above. We did our homework about picking this cabin and it paid off for us.

I love having a lifeboat overhead because it gives shade from the sun. It’s great on those cruises where to the weather is really hot. We would rather have a cove balcony over the upper balconies. Love them.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm very much in the minority, in that I did not like my Cove balcony that much. During the day it was fine, and being so close to the water was really cool, but I've always liked to sit on the balcony at night and enjoy the dark, maybe see some stars, etc. It hadn't occurred to me that you're below the promenade deck, which is lit up all night long. It was much too bright out there for me at night. Now I'm back up to my Lido deck balconies, and am much happier.:D

Cove balconies are the worst balconies on the ship. I’d avoid them at all costs.

I would concur, but not quite so harshly. We would stay in one, but it would not be our preference and would pay more for L-shaped, or standard.

We did not like 1) the noise level generated by the waves in the cabin - the rougher the seas, the louder the noise; 2) the fact that we had a life boat partially over head blocking the stars; 3) being low at the front of the ship as we find the back more accessible to our favorite places like Alchemy, Lido etc. We did spend more time the the lobby bar than normal because of the location. I did find it more private and felt that that factor was offset by the more reduced view of the water as there is the cutout only and not the plexiglass and openness of a regular balcony.

What do you have to back up that statement? Just curious lol.

I’m curious also

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Pay no attention to this poster. They seem to only be interested in trolling and anti Carnival. There is nothing wrong with the coves. However, they are very shaded. But they're close to the water and offer an amazing view of the water and the port activities.

We loved our cove balcony on the Breeze. Lifeboat above wasn't a problem at all.

What's above your cabin might have an impact. Book forward of the mid-ship elevators or you might be under the galley.

Our first cove balcony was on the Breeze, and we didn't have a lifeboat directly above us. Our second one was on the Vista, and we did have one above us. It made very little difference in how much sunlight we got. If at all possible, try to get one below the Excursions Desk. It's not a high traffic area. There is very little (if any) noise from above during the day, and none at night after the Excursions Desk closes. On the other hand, just as with ANY cabin, there's no way to predict whether you'll have quiet neighbors or noisy neighbors. I've seen some comment about having salt spray on their balcony. I love being on the ocean. Having a little salt spray has never been an issue for me.

Our first cove balcony was on the Breeze, and we didn't have a lifeboat directly above us. Our second one was on the Vista, and we did have one above us. It made very little difference in how much sunlight we got. If at all possible, try to get one below the Excursions Desk. It's not a high traffic area. There is very little (if any) noise from above during the day, and none at night after the Excursions Desk closes. On the other hand, just as with ANY cabin, there's no way to predict whether you'll have quiet neighbors or noisy neighbors. I've seen some comment about having salt spray on their balcony. I love being on the ocean. Having a little salt spray has never been an issue for me.

Thank you for your reply! Did you prefer one over the other? Did your view seem less obstructive with the cabin without the overhead lifeboats?

We were on the Vista recently and stayed in 2308 (cove balcony) and we did not have a lifeboat overhead. The extra light and view were very nice.

My observation was that our cabin, the one aft, and the 4 or 5 forward of us did not have lifeboats above. We did our homework about picking this cabin and it paid off for us.

Did our homework as well! We're in 2305 on the Vista in April! No lifeboat!

Thank you for your reply! Did you prefer one over the other? Did your view seem less obstructive with the cabin without the overhead lifeboats?

The lifeboats are up high enough that they don't seem to be too obstructive, unless you're standing by the railing and trying to look straight up. There are several videos posted on Youtube of cove balcony cabins. Just type "Carnival cove balcony" in the Youtube search bar. The videos will give you some idea of what to expect. Because the cove balconies are recessed, they don't get as much direct sunlight as regular balconies do. So, a cove balcony is not the best place to try to get a tan. On the other hand, they're a lot more private than a regular balcony, and a great place to watch for sea life. It's not uncommon to see flying fish or dolphins.