Fincantieri Will Do Century's Revitalization

Andy

Hi Everyone !

For those of us wondering what Shipyard will be doing Century's Revitalization in Late April / May 2006, Celebrity has announced today that Fincantieri's Palermo, Italy Yard is the choice.

I wanted to give you a Heads-Up on that news.

Happy Holidays !

Interesting. I thought (or presumed) that Century was going to get her makeover at Meyer Werft where she was built. But I guess it's going to be Carnival-land for her.

I certainly hope she does not come out looking like a Carnival ship. That would be a shame.

I think I recall that several of Holland America's classic-style ships were built by Fincantieri - so maybe you can breathe easier! :)

Can someone explain something to me about the refurbishment. I know that there will be a lot of balcony's added to existing staterooms. However, when I go online there I see there will be 2 types of verandah staterooms not previously offered CC and 2A. The new 2A's were formerly just oceanview staterooms with dimensions of 175 sq. ft and the new staterooms will be 170 sq ft. with a 42 sq. ft balcony. On the otherhand, I see that a lot of the new CC class staterooms also used to be oceanview staterooms and thus were 175 sq. ft. previously. The new specs for the CC staterooms are 191.6 sq. ft with a 46.3 sq. ft. balcony. Can someone explain to me how these staterooms gained over 16 sq. ft. from their previous incarnation. Is celebrity actually going to build the stateroom out and then add a balcony besides. These seems kind of crazy to me and sounds like it would ruin the lines of the ship but is this what they have in mind or am I missing something.

Joe,

there is also an equally informative article published on Cruisemates.com:

Century Makeover

Embedded in the article is a photograph which shows a comparison of the Century balcony cabin layouts before and after the conversion which explains where the extra space is coming from. A direct link to the photo:

layout comparing old Century cabin vs new Century cabin vs Millennium cabin

I have been on two ships built by this Shipyard... HAL Zuiderdam and Carnival Liberty (newest Carnival). I wouldn't call them ugly, loved many features of both ships, tons of interesting artwork on both. Beautiful tables in buffet etc.

I noticed that the T-pool was missing from the new deck plans. :( Will there be one at all?

We received this small booklet with blue prints.... there was no notation anywhere.... and I took out the magnifying glass to make sure!

I also don't like the location of the new specialty restaurant.. it'll close off a good portion of light/view in the lobby.

cruisemaster, I noticed this in one of the articles mentioned below:

. A fully equipped sports deck with basketball and paddleball courts will be added above on Deck 13.

ocyngypsy:

Can you tell me anything about the SV category. We have reserved #1253

Someone on the DIS boards was on the Magic soon after it's recent drydock. Disney's Magic and Wonder were both built at Fincantieri. There was some flooding of some cabins on the cruise just after drydock. One of the workmen on board was overheard saying "The Italians should stick to building gondolas".

. A fully equipped sports deck with basketball and paddleball courts will be added above on Deck 13.

ocyngypsy:

Can you tell me anything about the SV category. We have reserved #1253

We've got SV #1246 :D These cabins are a bit different than what was expected, I think. Some are quads and the balcony sizes are not the same size/shape. And there is that first one in the stern row on the port side that doesn't even have a balcony. I'm assuming that it is a family cabin.

ocngypz, any inside info would be greatly appreciated :p I'm looking forward to experiencing this new category and hope they don't make a requirement of 4 passengers in these cabins!

I don't know why folks are dissing Fincantieri they've certainly laid down some beautiful ships in the past. They've avoided the controversies of Chantier de l'Atlantique that built the "now they run, now they don't" Millie class.

http://www.coltoncompany.com/shipbldg/worldsbldg/cruise/cruisefincantieri.htm

We received this small booklet with blue prints.... there was no notation anywhere.... and I took out the magnifying glass to make sure!

I also don't like the location of the new specialty restaurant.. it'll close off a good portion of light/view in the lobby.

Hi Ocngypz !

I agree, that the New specialty restaurant (while I am glad there will be one on Century) is not in the best location. I feel that it will cut off much of look and feeling of that area. I would have put it where the Sky Bar is now. The only problem with that idea....is that it would be at the expense of some, if not all, of the new Cabins planned for the Sports Deck. I can understand why Celebrity would want to put more Cabins on the ship. I just thought that would be a better location for the specialty restaurant.

Happy Holidays to all our Friends here at Cruise Critic !

Yes, I read that too in one of the articles however I do not see the sports deck anywhere on the new deckplans. Maybe X decided to forgo the sports court since the article? In addition, I do not see the new teen area inside the Crystal Room as mentioned in one of the articles. Maybe the expansion in that area has been moved to the expanded Fun Factory?

• 4 months later...

Well, it is interesting to see that as of today the Concierge Class staterooms on the Century are no longer listed as being over 190 square feet but instead are being listed as 172 square feet. So anyone booked in a concierge class stateroom expecting a larger room most likely won't be receiving it. Just thought I would update everyone since my initial intuition had told me that the room sizes were incorrect although many articles seemed to indicate the rooms were going to be larger.

Yes, I read that too in one of the articles however I do not see the sports deck anywhere on the new deckplans. Maybe X decided to forgo the sports court since the article? In addition, I do not see the new teen area inside the Crystal Room as mentioned in one of the articles. Maybe the expansion in that area has been moved to the expanded Fun Factory?

The Teen area is being hewn from a section of the old Hemisphere Lounge. The Fun Factory is tripling in size in it's current location on deck 4 by eliminating a half dozen inside cabins in that locale.

Cheers~

Archived