Edinburgh Castle and Palace of Holyroodhouse - Doable in one day?

We have 4 days in Edinburgh in June 2018.

Day One: Check in and walk around Royal Mile

Day Two: Train to AlnwickCastle and Northumberland Coast.

Day Three: Edinburgh Castle and Palace of Holyroodhouse

Day Four: Fly to London

Is it possible to see both on Day 3? Should we get tickets before our arrival?

Yes to both.

I think for most people the castle and the palace can easily be done the same day if you start early enough at the castle. It is only a mile. I am not sure why you would buy tickets ahead of time, though I am not an expert on this point, we don’t have to pay to go through the castle ?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi,

Yes to Day 3. I was reading an article online last week about Edinburgh Castle on the BBC news website, and they are changing the Tickets from April. If you purchase online it will be cheaper than purchasing them on the day at the Castle, the mornings are always the busiest.

After the Castle you can then walk down the Royal Mile to the Palace as its all down hill.

Its lovely.

Steven

I'd like to tell you to carefully check in advance Holyrood Palace website, because in may and june 2018, the palace will be closed for a few days, probably because of some celebrations. Those days are "blurred" on the booking calendar.

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Forums

• 3 weeks later...

Do the castle and Hollyrood in one day, easy. Too many tacky souvenir shops on the R.M.

I`d recommend the National Museums of Scotland just off the Royal Mile on Chambers Street. Well worth the visit with the best views of the castle on the rooftop garden and it`s free.

The New Town is an overlooked gem. Beautiful Georgian buildings . Whilst down that way, try the Scottish Portrait Gallery. Well worth the visit.

And, in between the two areas, you have Rose Street for decent pubs.

Public transport is easy and inexpensive in Edinburgh with good connections to all areas.

It`s a secure walking city.

• 2 weeks later...

We visited the castle and the palace on different days last year but early in the day. Both got even busier as the morning went on so I think the castle and upper RM one day and the palace and lower RM another are a good solution. The RM itself is not that interesting and is indeed full of mostly similar tourist shops. The National Museums of Scotland OTOH are fabulous. It is important to keep in mind that the palace closes sometimes on short notice if any member of the royal family is using it. We had an Explorer Pass so we had no trouble getting into the castle and palace easily.

We visited the castle and the palace on different days last year but early in the day. Both got even busier as the morning went on so I think the castle and upper RM one day and the palace and lower RM another are a good solution. The RM itself is not that interesting and is indeed full of mostly similar tourist shops. The National Museums of Scotland OTOH are fabulous. It is important to keep in mind that the palace closes sometimes on short notice if any member of the royal family is using it. We had an Explorer Pass so we had no trouble getting into the castle and palace easily.

I'm surprised you think there was nothing on the Royal Mile other than shops. If you come again I recommend you visit some of the closes where you can imagine life as it would have been 500 years ago and some of the amazing small museums. I'm sorry the palace of Holyroodhouse was closed unexpected when you were there. When the Royal Family is in residence, the dates are usually published well in advance, as they have to plan their diaries ahead of time for security etc. On the website right now it says:

The Palace will be completely closed on:

• 30 March 2018
  • 15 May - 26 May 2018
  • 26 June - 7 July 2018
  • 25 – 26 December 2018

Hi,

Yes to Day 3. I was reading an article online last week about Edinburgh Castle on the BBC news website, and they are changing the Tickets from April. If you purchase online it will be cheaper than purchasing them on the day at the Castle, the mornings are always the busiest.

After the Castle you can then walk down the Royal Mile to the Palace as its all down hill.

Its lovely.

Steven

Steven (nice name :)) or others. I didn't want tio start a new thread and figured someone my see and answer. We are coming to Edinburgh on The RCI Brilliance in Queenberry,. I know we can take a train but a bunch of uphill walks I really don't want to do. I though RCI would run an (overpriced) but I don't see it. Anyone know what a taxi would run from Queenberry to the Castle itself. I figured we could get 11 or noon tixckets on line and walk down royal mile by taxi. It would probably be just two of us. Any guidance appreciated.

Steve

Steven (nice name :)) or others. I didn't want tio start a new thread and figured someone my see and answer. We are coming to Edinburgh on The RCI Brilliance in Queenberry,. I know we can take a train but a bunch of uphill walks I really don't want to do. I though RCI would run an (overpriced) but I don't see it. Anyone know what a taxi would run from Queenberry to the Castle itself. I figured we could get 11 or noon tixckets on line and walk down royal mile by taxi. It would probably be just two of us. Any guidance appreciated.

Steve

The ship will stop at South Queensferry and you will have to tender in. There are not a lot of uphill climbs to take the train, just one long staircase at the beginning and then fairly flat after that. We took the train, along with a lot of other passengers, so I'm not sure what a taxi would cost but the tender port is a fair way from Edinburgh. It is better to prepurchase your tickets for Edinburgh Castle and if you cannot get there early when it opens be prepared for crowds.

Barb

The ship will stop at South Queensferry and you will have to tender in. There are not a lot of uphill climbs to take the train, just one long staircase at the beginning and then fairly flat after that. We took the train, along with a lot of other passengers, so I'm not sure what a taxi would cost but the tender port is a fair way from Edinburgh. It is better to prepurchase your tickets for Edinburgh Castle and if you cannot get there early when it opens be prepared for crowds.

Barb

There is also an excellent thread on cruise critic by tartanexile81 which describes, with pictures, how to take the train from South Queensferry to Edinburgh. You will see a picture of the staircase and you can then decide if it is doable for you. The thread is at http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2031574. I hope this helps you.

Barb

There is also an excellent thread on cruise critic by tartanexile81 which describes, with pictures, how to take the train from South Queensferry to Edinburgh. You will see a picture of the staircase and you can then decide if it is doable for you. The thread is at www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2031574. I hope this helps you.

Barb

Thanks. Tartan Exile had already replied to me on that thread. But you added more. I also read - I can't remember where - tha t there are a few bus linesthat run so there is one every 5 minutes.

And Tartan Exile said a few months go that ther was a private shuttle service and he wasn't sure if theywould operated this season. Seems like a nice goldmine for a company that charged a fair price with THOUSANDS of cruise passemgers arriving. :)

Thanks. Tartan Exile had already replied to me on that thread. But you added more. I also read - I can't remember where - tha t there are a few bus linesthat run so there is one every 5 minutes.

And Tartan Exile said a few months go that ther was a private shuttle service and he wasn't sure if theywould operated this season. Seems like a nice goldmine for a company that charged a fair price with THOUSANDS of cruise passemgers arriving. :)

As well as the shuttle bus, there is one bus operated by a local Public Transport company. This is the timetable:

https://lothianbuses.co.uk/timetables-and-maps/timetables/43.

The price of the shuttle bus was $15 round trip last year but we've had no briefing about that yet.