Ordering multiple entrees at dinner?

lilducky

I spoke to a friend about her experience on cruises and she advised me to order more then one entree at dinner on my cruise. Now my question is, they DO charge you for BOTH entrees right? Has anyone done this before?She wasnt clear on this and I havent been able to get ahold of her since we last spoke.

On our cruise with Celebrity (our first cruise ever), my wife (and myself, to some extent) were often indecisive about what we wanted to order, expressing our conundrum to our wonderful waiter, Rudy. Usually, we'd finally decide on ONE thing each...

Minutes later, when the food arrived, Rudy would almost always bring us BOTH items that we couldn't decide between (which sometimes resulted in us having FOUR separate entrees).

Same thing happened for dessert.

They know how to take care of you.

Miss Quack Quack:

I know I told you all about how this worked on my Celebrity cruise back in March, but you don't get charged for food once onboard unless you eat in a specialty dining area. They don't care how much you want to eat in the dining room because there is always extra and whatever they don't serve ends up as fish food (literally).

Back in March on the last night I had 2 filet mignon's and a lobster tail. I couldn't decide... They were all yummy.

You don't pay for your food on cruises do you??? I am a newbie, but I thought dinner was totally included????(except drinks)

But I have thought of this question myself, I am curious to know if we can do it on the Mariner??? We have 5 kids in my party and my concern is that they order something and don't like it could they ask for a different choice???

Can't wait to hear some replies, Thanks in advance,

You don't pay for your food on cruises do you??? I am a newbie, but I thought dinner was totally included????(except drinks)

But I have thought of this question myself, I am curious to know if we can do it on the Mariner??? We have 5 kids in my party and my concern is that they order something and don't like it could they ask for a different choice???

Hi Sanditoes4 - You, DH, and the kids can order as much as you want - if the kids don't like one thing - order another - or order two to start with (no charge - included in your cruise fare) - Katie often orders two apetizers, soup, salad, two entrees, 4 deserts. Often on Lobster night they also have prime rib - so we get both. :D:D Oh yes - Katie is 5'2" and weights 105 pounds - she needs all that food so she does not disappear. :eek:

I spoke to a friend about her experience on cruises and she advised me to order more then one entree at dinner on my cruise. Now my question is, they DO charge you for BOTH entrees right? Has anyone done this before?She wasnt clear on this and I havent been able to get ahold of her since we last spoke.

I don't really know how other cruise lines handle this, as I'm mainly a Carnival cruiser.

You are never charged for a meal on Carnival, unless you choose to have dinner at the specialty restaurant. Most folks dine in the dining room, but some opt for the Lido buffet area.

You may order one entree, and then another if you would like. Also - if you don't care for the entree you ordered, the waiter will bring you another of your choice. There's really no limit on the amount of food - appetizers, soups, entrees, desserts - that you can consume. As long as you are hungry, they will continue bringing you food.

On formal nights, I normally have prime rib and two lobster tails. Oink-oink!:D

Me and my wife just sailed for the first time last Oct. on the Sapphire Princess to the Mexican Riviera. Our first night dining, we just ordered one entree as we didn't know you could order as much as you want. It wasn't until the second night that we really chowed down. Fabulous food on this ship. Happy sailing to all.

Joe and Jennifer

How old are your kids....any car seats required? I'm travelling with a newborn and 2 year old for the first time on a cruise and don't know what do do with the car seats for excursions.

As others have said, you can have as many appies, entrees, desserts, etc. as you want, at no extra charge, in the main dining rooms.

I will sometimes order a 2nd lobster tail at dinner, but ask for just the tail, not all other other stuff too. The wait staff is happy to accomodate and I hate wasting food (even if it does feed the fish).

T

As everyone has already noted, you can order as many of each course as you would like to try. On my most recent cruise I did just that. I didn't do it every night, but maybe 2 or 3 nights I ordered 2 dinners or 2 appetizers. However, on my first cruise, while I knew this was allowed, we were seated with other people and I wasn't at all comfortable with doing this. It just felt piggish. Soooo, depending on if you're seated alone or with others may play a part in how you handle this situation. As for the children, I encouraged my children to try things which they wouldn't ordinarily try as this was the perfect opportunity. If they didn't like it, they cold get something else! :)

Is room service free? Is it 24 hours? I read somewhere on another thread that there is an "order" or how people are permitted to exit the boat. I believe that many of the places we are visiting RCI 1/8/06 we will be tendered. I have not booked any excurisions so does that make a difference? How about getting back on the boat - any suggestions. My goal to not stand in line waiting for much. I am hopeful I can chill in my room and linger over breakfast - waiting to go ashore. What about the alcohol - I plan to take a bottle in my checked luggage for use in my room - will that be a problem? Thanks for any advice.

I am hopeful I can chill in my room and linger over breakfast - waiting to go ashore

If you are not in a hurry to meet an independent tour group, it is always best to wait until the excursions and the people in a hurry get off the ship.

Even when one tenders, the rush does not last long. Tender tickets are used. You will know when the tenders are no longer filled by the way the announcement is made. At the end, they start saying "anyone with any color tender ticket may now come to the gangplank." That's your clue that the rush is over. You may have a short wait if the tender is not back yet, but they usually run more than one tender and one is always right there when the other leaves.

Even when there is a rush - it's not much of a hassle. You are over-estimating the difficulty of getting off the ship - tender or no tender.

Is room service free? Yes Is it 24 hours? Yes, but what you can get is limited. In other words, you can not get breakfast food at 4 in the afternoon. On RCCL you couldn't get breakfast room service past 10am. I read somewhere on another thread that there is an "order" or how people are permitted to exit the boat. When there's a tender this is true. You need to go to a specific location and get a tender ticket. If you arrive in port particularly early and they start the tender process REALLy early, then sometimes you can tender into port before the whole ticket process even begins, but since this would be before stores and vendors are open, you may not want to be in port this early. Otherwise, generally you have to wait until after the ship's excursions and then the early independant excursions have tendered. I believe that many of the places we are visiting RCI 1/8/06 we will be tendered. I have not booked any excurisions so does that make a difference? How about getting back on the boat - any suggestions. No problems with tendering back to the ship. People are staggered on their own, so it's not an issue. My goal to not stand in line waiting for much. I am hopeful I can chill in my room and linger over breakfast - waiting to go ashore. You can most certainly do this, but you can also eat in the dining room and then linger in your room or anywhere else on the ship you choose to, and then head down to tender ashore. What about the alcohol - I plan to take a bottle in my checked luggage for use in my room - will that be a problem? It isn't allowed, which I'm sure you already know, but you may want to rethink packing in luggage as there's the possibility it may break and then you'd have some awful smelling and wet clothing. I packed ours in my carry on. Transferred it to emptied water bottles, then no one was the wiser. Thanks for any advice.

Good Luck.:)

I've been on two Carnival and one Crystal cruise; trying RCCL in late 2006. I have always ordered whatever I wanted in the dining room, but I also like being a "regular" in the dining room, so my wait staff knows me and goes the extra mile.

One of the other posters stated that you can order items that aren't even on the menu, and I concur. I've done it. I've had the waiter (on his own) bring me a basic hamburger and fries when I obviously didn't care for what I ordered and wasn't interested in anything else on the menu. I've designed my own breakfast in the dining room, and my own dessert. Now, if you only show up at the dining room a few times, I have no idea how helpful the wait or kitchen staff would be if you order items that aren't on the menu.

On the cruises we've been on, you could order things that weren't on the regular menu. Usually, though, it had to be something normally served or something arranged the night before with the assistant maitre d'. For instance, we loved the creme brulee that was served one night and asked if we could have it again the following night.

We had a vegetarian at our table on our most recent cruise. She got to see the regular menu for the next night as well as the vegetarian menu (which never changed, but had lots of choices). She had to order the next night's meal in advance if she wanted something from the vegetarian menu.

I'm glad to hear this seems to have now become the norm. We were on Carnival a few years ago and everyone at our table ordered at least 2 of everything for the whole trip. I was worried that we were just a bunch of pigs and that people would be shocked if we did it on the next cruise. I'm so happy to hear that we should be ok!!!

I have to report though, that it's apparently not the norm on all lines. My parents just came back from a cruise on Radisson Seven Seas and she was shocked and disgusted that I'd consider doing such a thing! :-)

We just got back from being on the Elation on January 5. We ate in the dining room every night. Our waiter would bring us each the entree we had ordered and then sometimes he would bring my daughter and I another entree to share that he thought we might like also. For dessert he usually brought out one of everything and let us all share or if there was something particular we wanted he would bring us our own.

Archived