Qantas flight changes

Esilef

we we’re booked on a Qantas flight at 10:30am Melbourne to Sydney (ff tickets) and now they have cancelled that flight and moved us to the 11am flight.

Our boarding time is 12:30 but the ship doesn’t depart until 18:00.

Does qantas allow for you to change your flight time if they cancelled your original flight? Can we arrive early at the airport and be asked to be moved to the 10am flight?

We deliberately booked Qantas thinking that they would be more reliable than Jetstar or tiger

we we’re booked on a Qantas flight at 10:30am Melbourne to Sydney (ff tickets) and now they have cancelled that flight and moved us to the 11am flight.

Does qantas allow for you to change your flight time if they cancelled your original flight? Can we arrive early at the airport and be asked to be moved to the 10am flight?

We deliberately booked Qantas thinking that they would be more reliable than Jetstar or tiger

Esilef,

I would ring them and ask that exact question [emoji3]you have nothing to lose except time [emoji106]

Rose

Sent from my iPad using Forums

even if they dont change your flight you would still have plenty of time seeing you only need to be onboard 90 mins before departure

i know you want to be onboard as soon as you can but thats if they cant put you on the earlier flight

I fly often for work. I find the 'non-peak' flights from mid-morning to late afternoon are the ones where flights are cancelled by the airlines - I've had it on QANTAS and Virgin, where they combine flights. Often you only find out when you arrive to check-in, or by text on your way there. At least you know ahead of time.

My advice would be to arrive at the airport as early as you can (say 8:30 - 9:00) and go to check-in counter (not the self-serve kiosk) & just hand over your paperwork, saying nothing about the change or asking for an earlier flight. IME there is a reasonable chance they will say, "oh, I can put you on an earlier flight, is that ok?" They may say you need to go straight to the gate, just agree.

Good luck. As others have said, 11:00am will still be ok to make the ship, but of course you want to board and start having fun asap.

Esilef, I would suggest the same as Rose call the customer service number and relay the story, saying you would prefer the earlier time as you have a cruise booked. If you wait until getting to the airport the customer service reps may be inundated in the day, and those with higher ff status will get preferential allocations, but saying that if the phone contact doesn't bring you joy, I would then try again at the airport.

When they cancel your flight they normally contact you to confirm this is fine. The autochange would be a suggestion but I'd expect if you called them up you could request a transfer to the earlier flight.

I wouldn't wait until the day of departure as Qantas don't normally allow people to switch flights (unless with higher cost tickets) so as to discourage people buying cheap tickets for that reason.

I’m starting to see why people fly up the day prior. A night in a hotel in Sydney is a lot less stressful than the whole “let’s hope we make it, amazing race”

I go the day before, I've had a flight MEL - SYD cancelled due to storms in Sydney. Ironically that was the "day before" flight, but it made me realise it could just as easily happen on the day of, except then there would be no Option B to get the next one when the storm clears if the ship has sailed. (I flew the next morning). Storms create a backlog of flights, so you could end up being too late.