Without a Haven, why do a suite on POA- Hawaii?

fdpevey

We are sailing on the Pride of America in March.

Our last two cruises were both Haven, and we will probably book Haven every time there is a chance. Haven is a wonderful oasis within a wonderful cruise. I, however, didn’t see the benefit to a suite on POA, so we are currently in a balcony room.

As I thought about it, I considered how port-intensive this cruise is - we’ll be off the ship almost all day, every day. The suites on POA don’t have a dedicated “space” like the Haven does - no bar, no restaurant. We can’t run to “our” bar for a quick drink in the morning or a quiet drink on returning to the ship. As I understand it, there is no reserved seating for shows or other activities and minimal assistance getting on or off the ship (priority lines). There is no in-room dining. With so little time on ship, we don’t need much space.

BUT I just got that email with a chance to bid for an upgrade ... and now I’m second-guessing myself.

What is the benefit you have seen with a suite on the Pride of America?

We stayed in an aft corner suite last April on the POA and it was outstanding.

I’m not sure why you heard there was no priority boarding but that is incorrect. After the security check there is a separate suite guest reception area with snacks and refreshments. The concierge walks you directly onto the ship holding the line for the non suite passengers in the process.

Disembarkation is even better. Following a leisurely suite only breakfast at Cagneys, the concierge will walk you to a private elevator and again hold the main passenger line at the gangway to allow you to disembark. There’s no customs screening for disembarkation because the cruise is not international so you literally just walk off.

Also the suite comes with its own nespresso coffee maker and the butler delivered snacks every day. The butler provides assistance with scheduling reservations at the upcharge restaurants.

We had no issues getting really great seats for the shows or ordering drinks at any of the bars

You are right that on POA a suite doesn't get you too much other than a larger, nicer room and things like Cagneys for breakfast and lunch. They also don't do Cagneys delivered to your room for breakfast or lunch like other ships but you can still get other meals to your room.

Priority tender would be one other thing.

Some of the suites have a whirlpool on the deck which comes in handy for some of the viewing.

We also love suites, but did a balcony on POA. With our platinum perks, we had priority tender (which is only needed in Kona), boarding and disembarkation. POA isn’t like most other cruises, it’s very laid back and we never had a problem with crowds, getting a seat in the dining room etc.

I’d save the money and put it towards a cool excursion or a few extra nights in Hawaii.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For the same reason we do aft suites, we have no need of a private bar or other Haven area things, and you get all the other same suite perks.

If the ship has a Haven restaurant instead of using a premium restaurant that would be about the only thing we would go there for.

• 2 months later...

does anyone know if there are suites on POA with a stand-alone shower? and also is there a door separating suite bathrooms from the rest of the suite? (not just a curtain)

does anyone know if there are suites on POA with a stand-alone shower? and also is there a door separating suite bathrooms from the rest of the suite? (not just a curtain)

The OS on 12 have stand alone shower and separate tub. saw your note about curtain. These rooms have a large bathroom with a door by the entrance to the room area and a heavy curtain by the bedroom. The bedroom is further separated by the closet.

We had our kids in this room and never felt funny when they were in the bathroom.

I have some pics in the thread I posted around March 2016.