Going from Oasis Class to Smaller Class?

Hi All! We will be taking our first 2 family cruises with our 2 young kids on Oasis this year (one Western & one Eastern itinerary). I just got the dates for Spring break next year and am looking at options. Unfortunately the Oasis itinerary that week is one of the exact itineraries we are already doing, so I’m looking at other options. Harmony is sold out that week, and if I can avoid Miami I’d prefer that so I’m not really looking at Allure & Symphony (though as a Miami native I could be convinced otherwise).

The Adventure has an 8-night itinerary on 3/30/19 which would take us from Ft. Lauderdale to Labadee, San Juan, St. Marten, and St. Kitts, so a few new stops. Very intriguing. And the price is better than Allure or Symphony of course.

My questions for you experienced RCL cruisers:

1) After 2 trips on Oasis with no other frame of reference to compare it to, will Adventure feel like a downgrade? Or is it just as impressive, albeit on a smaller scale?

2) Thoughts on that itinerary with Small kids?

3) Other ships going out of Port Canaveral (by far most convenient for us) that week are Carnival Breeze and Norwegian Epic (not even considering Disney with their insane prices). Any thoughts on those ships (or cruise lines) compared to Adventure?

Any thoughts appreciated. Thank you!

Activity choices are they primary differences. Food is primarily the same although there are only 5 specialty restaurants on the smaller ship classes: Chops Grille, Giovanni's Table, Izumi & Sabor & Johnny Rocket's. No cafe in the Solarium, no carousel, no hot dog stand, Promenade Cafe is smaller with fewer choices. On the up side there are fewer passengers, experience is a bit more intimate. The kids programs still get good marks.

FWIW, I am sailing on the same itinerary on Adventure this December :) I chose this cruise partially due to the itinerary (all new ports), partially due to the great price for my studio stateroom. I am cruising solo, so unfortunately I can't comment on question #2, but, from what I have read, this ship offers a lot of great amenities for both big and small people. She also racked up quite a few Cruise Critic Cruisers' Choice Awards in numerous categories and just returned from a drydock; see this thread for photos. I'm not sure if the Oasis-class features (i.e. distinctive neighbourhoods, Aqua Theater, zip-line) are a deal-breaker for you, but, if you're willing to give her a chance, I think you'll love Adventure too :)

I have never sailed on an Oasis-class ship, but have a cruise booked on Harmony for December 2019. I'm looking forward to both cruises equally!

What did you enjoy on the Oasis so much? Obviously Adventure won't have everything the oasis has but still a very nice cruise.How old are the kids?

I haven’t been on Oasis yet-going this May and November. But I must admit that the sheer scope of the ship & variety onboard is quite appealing.

Kids will be almost 4 & 6 on the cruise. I’m sure they will be happy with anything though I bet I’m asked 80 times where the carousel is... ;p

I think it would feel like less. We travel with our 2 kids and recently cruised on NCL escape after our last cruise on Allure and it was kind of blah. Nothing bad but just not as good. Our next trip is booked on Anthem and interested to see how that will compare to experience on Allure.

We took our son on Harmony for Thanksgiving 2016, and then went on Navigator this past Christmas. Our son loved Navigator, and to be honest, my wife and I also loved this ship. The only thing my son missed was the water slides, and Adventure has those. He was 7 and 8 on these cruises.

Hope that helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Gatordad815....we have just finished off 3 Oasis class sailings and then we went on the Disney fantasy. And although it was still a great cruise, it felt like less. And in 3 weeks we're going on Anthem and I'm already missing Central Park and the aqua theater. I think it comes down to what's more important to you? The ports or the ship as a destination? The Adventure is still going to be great but it won't be an apples to apples comparison. Go with that mindset and you'll be fine.

Gatordad815....we have just finished off 3 Oasis class sailings and then we went on the Disney fantasy. And although it was still a great cruise, it felt like less. And in 3 weeks we're going on Anthem and I'm already missing Central Park and the aqua theater. I think it comes down to what's more important to you? The ports or the ship as a destination? The Adventure is still going to be great but it won't be an apples to apples comparison. Go with that mindset and you'll be fine.

Interesting perspective, especially considering the Fantasy is about the same size as the Adventure (though double the cost!) We were actually originally booked on Fantasy for our cruise in May until I discovered the Oasis and all its offerings for half the cost.

I think the ship is very important as our kids are quite young and we won’t be doing very involved excursions. But the itinerary on the Adventure cruise is really appealing for variety and a beach day at Labadee. Decisions, decisions...

Thank you to all for the input.

Edited by Gatordad815

Interesting perspective, especially considering the Fantasy is about the same size as the Adventure (though double the cost!) We were actually originally booked on Fantasy for our cruise in May until I discovered the Oasis and all its offerings for half the cost.

I think the ship is very important as our kids are quite young and we won’t be doing very involved excursions. But the itinerary on the Advenrure cruise is really appealing for variety and a beach day at Labadee. Decisions, decisions...

Thank you to all for the input.

Your money will go a whole lot further on RCI that's for sure! And the Adventure is newly refurbished with many great activities for kids. I personally think that disappointment comes from unrealistic expectations. If you go on Adventure looking for an Oasis class ship you will no doubt feel that many things are lacking. But go with the mindset that it will be a smaller and different ship, still with great features for families, and you will have a great time! [emoji4]

Kids almost 4 & 6...I'm thinking they probably won't much care (yet) what islands they're on, as long as the excursions and ship are fun. The open air Boardwalk neighborhood is a real plus, with the carousel. The dive shows at the Aquatheater are nice. For adults, Central Park is a surprisingly pleasant, serene 'walk through' zone to move back & forth through the ship. All other things being equal, Oasis-class rocks!

But all other things are not equal. Oasis-class can reach a limited number of ports, but Voyager-class (e.g.: AOS) can hit many more. Smaller is often cheaper.

Adventure of the Seas is a good ship; it has slides, including a Splashaway Bay that might appeal to the 4-year old (be mindful some slides have height restrictions; we've got a 4-year old girl, close to 5, who's about 42 inches tall, for example).

Can whatever slides your kids qualify to use on AOS offset the loss of the Boardwalk (with carousel) on OOS?

I like to have our daughter visit a wide range of foreign holdings. It doesn't matter to her at age 4 whether she's visited new island, but it matters to me, a Dad hoping to give her a heritage of diverse travel, and sense she's been various places.

Richard.

We have sailed on Oasis and Allure several times. We wanted to do the southern Caribbean and sailed on the Adventure. The different ports were nice but we definitely did not like the ship as much. We missed the open areas of the Central Park and Boardwalk. We also missed the variety and quality of the shows on the Oasis class. The broadway shows on Oasis are so much better and we missed the entertainment at the Aqua Theater. Our teen son very much missed the FlowRider.

With your kids being young, they will have fun either way. As they get older the larger ships with more to do will most likely be more appealing.

Same thoughts when we were looking at smaller ship from what we've been on. We took our kids on Allure (they loved it) and have Symphony booked for next year. We have Mariner booked in between so also wonder how they will feel. Having said that, doesn't Adventure have waterslides? That will be an extra feature they would enjoy. (We will have cool features on mariner too with the refurbishment).

Your shows will be different, but that's ok since you'll see something new.

We took our son on Harmony for Thanksgiving 2016, and then went on Navigator this past Christmas. Our son loved Navigator, and to be honest, my wife and I also loved this ship. The only thing my son missed was the water slides, and Adventure has those. He was 7 and 8 on these cruises.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for the input! Adventure does have water slides though my kids will likely be more into the kiddie splash park area than the big slides, so Adventure checks that box too! :)

Question: did the navigator feel like there was plenty of outdoor space? The Adventure looks quite nice but compared to the Oasis/Harmony there is obviously not as much outdoor space. Seems you loved Navigator. Was it easy to find a spot for your family to enjoy on the upper decks? Any other pros to the Navigator your family found over the Harmony?

Thanks! I’m really leaning toward booking this Adventure cruise. But my alternative would just be to skip spring break altogether & plan an early summer cruise on Harmony when it’s in port Canaveral. So any comparisons between the two (classes) are most appreciated!

Thanks for the input! Adventure does have water slides though my kids will likely be more into the kiddie splash park area than the big slides, so Adventure checks that box too! :)

Question: did the navigator feel like there was plenty of outdoor space? The Adventure looks quite nice but compared to the Oasis/Harmony there is obviously not as much outdoor space. Seems you loved Navigator. Was it easy to find a spot for your family to enjoy on the upper decks? Any other pros to the Navigator your family found over the Harmony?

Thanks! I’m really leaning toward booking this Adventure cruise. But my alternative would just be to skip spring break altogether & plan an early summer cruise on Harmony when it’s in port Canaveral. So any comparisons between the two (classes) are most appreciated!

Gatordad....IMO Harmony is the best of the Oasis class (not counting Symphony because I have not sailed that one yet but it's booked). If it's between that and Adventure and the ports are not a huge deciding factor, I would do Harmony hands down!

Gatordad....IMO Harmony is the best of the Oasis class (not counting Symphony because I have not sailed that one yet but it's booked). If it's between that and Adventure and the ports are not a huge deciding factor, I would do Harmony hands down!

Thank you! I’m considering just waiting for summer because I know Harmony will be fantastic!

My only hesitation is the following: if we do the Adventure for Spring break, our daughter will be 5 the day we board & celebrate her 6th birthday on the ship. Our son will be almost 4 years old. So they could do Aquanauts at Ocean Adventure together. If we wait until June on Harmony, he will be 4 & she will be 6 so they’d be separated. I also know we will have future chances to be on Harmony as port Canaveral is definitely our preferred port for convenience. So I anticipate we will have a Harmony cruise at some point, just not next summer as I can’t do them 2 months apart!

So I guess the true comparison is the following:

1) Adventure 8 nights with awesome new itinerary with the young kids together in kids club for Spring Break, from Ft. Lauderdale which is driveable but inconvenient; or

2) Harmony 7 nights early summer with young kids separated in kids clubs from Port Canaveral which is a much easier drive.

I guess a third option is Carnival breeze or Norwegian Epic from Port Canaveral Spring break but unless I hear great things from any of you about them I’m ruling them out as neither is really calling out to me based on the limited research I’ve done...

Thanks for all the input!

Thank you! I’m considering just waiting for summer because I know Harmony will be fantastic!

My only hesitation is the following: if we do the Adventure for Spring break, our daughter will be 5 the day we board & celebrate her 6th birthday on the ship. Our son will be almost 4 years old. So they could do Aquanauts at Ocean Adventure together. If we wait until June on Harmony, he will be 4 & she will be 6 so they’d be separated. I also know we will have future chances to be on Harmony as port Canaveral is definitely our preferred port for convenience. So I anticipate we will have a Harmony cruise at some point, just not next summer as I can’t do them 2 months apart!

So I guess the true comparison is the following:

1) Adventure 8 nights with awesome new itinerary with the young kids together in kids club for Spring Break, from Ft. Lauderdale which is driveable but inconvenient; or

2) Harmony 7 nights early summer with young kids separated in kids clubs from Port Canaveral which is a much easier drive.

I guess a third option is Carnival breeze or Norwegian Epic from Port Canaveral Spring break but unless I hear great things from any of you about them I’m ruling them out as neither is really calling out to me based on the limited research I’ve done...

Thanks for all the input!

Are your kids going to spend a lot of time in Adventure ocean? I know for my own kids, I worried about that and they barely went.

And are your kids really dependent on each other? Or do they manage well on their own?

Here's one more thought to make it more interesting....we went on Harmony in August 2017, going again in March 2019, the price has already gone up from last summer. I priced out the same cabin for March 2020, the price is even more than March 2019. So prices are increasing each year. If you have plans for Harmony, I would do it sooner rather than later.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It's funny, reading this thread. We sailed on Harmony last September. Next sailing is Adventure in May. Then Serenade in October. Then Grandeur in April...we are going from huge to small in a little over a year! Didn't really think about it, but at least it's gradual so it won't seem like such a shock going from Harmony to Grandeur. But after Grandeur we're back up to big on Anthem.

Yes, I will miss all the unique offerings of Harmony, but with giant comes trade offs, and I'm looking forward to getting back to the more personal touches of the smaller ships. Now if they would put a 150 CP on every ship, I'd be sooo happy. Or at least offer their signature martinis everywhere...

Are your kids going to spend a lot of time in Adventure ocean? I know for my own kids, I worried about that and they barely went.

And are your kids really dependent on each other? Or do they manage well on their own?

Here's one more thought to make it more interesting....we went on Harmony in August 2017, going again in March 2019, the price has already gone up from last summer. I priced out the same cabin for March 2020, the price is even more than March 2019. So prices are increasing each year. If you have plans for Harmony, I would do it sooner rather than later.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It’s hard to say if they’ll spend much time in Adventure Ocean since we won’t be on our first cruise (Oasis) until this May, but I hope they’ll enjoy it & at least spend some time there. They’re both outgoing and social and not too dependent on each other so I’m not too worried about it, but my older daughter is much more independent and assertive so I do like the idea of her little brother having her in the same room to keep an eye. But if they have to be in different rooms it won’t be horrible (they do it daily at their preschool).

You’re right about Harmony prices! Yet another factor to consider.

It’s kinda strange to feel in Feb ‘18 that I need to make this decision for Mar or June ‘19, but seems like cruise pricing makes it necessary to book far in advance. Am I right that now is the time to decide? Or wait until it gets a little closer?

We have sailed on Oasis and Allure several times. We wanted to do the southern Caribbean and sailed on the Adventure. The different ports were nice but we definitely did not like the ship as much. We missed the open areas of the Central Park and Boardwalk. We also missed the variety and quality of the shows on the Oasis class. The broadway shows on Oasis are so much better and we missed the entertainment at the Aqua Theater. Our teen son very much missed the FlowRider.

With your kids being young, they will have fun either way. As they get older the larger ships with more to do will most likely be more appealing.

Thank you for the input! Looking back on it, would you do the Adventure again for a family Spring break trip for a new itinerary (as opposed to repeating the exact same Labadee-Falmouth-Cozumel itinerary on Oasis the same week)? Or would you just wait a few months to do another Oasis class ship (Harmony) on an Eastern Caribbean trip?

I really think we are going to love the Oasis class ships so I admit I’m a little concerned about a smaller ship. On the other hand, the Adventure is almost double the size of the only cruise ship I’ve ever been on (honeymoon cruise Majesty in 2002!) so even Adventure is quite impressive compared to my past experiences. Of course by Spring 2019, Oasis will be the most recent frame of reference...

It’s hard to say if they’ll spend much time in Adventure Ocean since we won’t be on our first cruise (Oasis) until this May, but I hope they’ll enjoy it & at least spend some time there. They’re both outgoing and social and not too dependent on each other so I’m not too worried about it, but my older daughter is much more independent and assertive so I do like the idea of her little brother having her in the same room to keep an eye. But if they have to be in different rooms it won’t be horrible (they do it daily at their preschool).

You’re right about Harmony prices! Yet another factor to consider.

It’s kinda strange to feel in Feb ‘18 that I need to make this decision for Mar or June ‘19, but seems like cruise pricing makes it necessary to book far in advance. Am I right that now is the time to decide? Or wait until it gets a little closer?

I'm booked into 2019 and looking into 2020 already lol. And no, I don't think it's better to wait till closer. I always book way in advance and watch prices. As long as you are outside of final payment you can get your price adjusted. Booking early allows you to get your first choice of staterooms while still having the option to save as you watch pricing.

My wife and I also have sailed twice on AOS’s sister ship (Navigator) twice and loved it. Adventure will have all the same things as the Nav now that she’s had her refit. Yes she’s smaller than Oasis, but not small. Remember that at one time she was one of the largest in the world. There’s plenty to do with the slides and flowrider, it’s easy to get outside, the promenade is nice and airy even though indoors.

And this is going to sound strange, but one of my favorite things about that class versus Oasis class is getting out onto the bow. It sounds minor, but there is something very peaceful and relaxing about being out front with no sounds or people and just the whisper of water along the hull and the gentle movement through the swells.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

... one of my favorite things about that class versus Oasis class is getting out onto the bow. ...

We also enjoy the helipad access. Another advantage over Oasis class is the traditional outside promenade deck, with deck chars and unobstructed view. The outside promenade on deck 4 is normally a very peaceful, relaxing area.