Pay peanuts get monkeys!

We just returned from a cruise on P&O Explorer and I commented to my husband on how visible security were onboard. I know that particular ship had an incident of it’s own just a few short weeks ago so that may have been a factor.

I did like the idea (and prominence) of Youth Security here. Their obvious yellow shirts may have contributed to the almost total absence of uncontrolled teens and tweens.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

They were also good at keeping my young nephews in line as they loved to jump in the pools. Plus one nephew was scratching another kid on the back so she brought him back to his parents with the scratched kid.

My oldest nephew and I had a good laugh because I think that was the Day this random lady accused us of hiding her clothes. [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Rule 1: All cruise ships have security guards and I wouldn't want to be on one with out security, however, I don't think I would want security in the form of bouncers positioned around the ship.

Yeah. Security is always needed, on any ship, because anything can happen. There was that RCCL cruise in Alaska where the guy murdered his wife, for instance. He wasn't a threat to the rest of the passengers like these punks clearly were--but someone had to get hold of the guy and put him somewhere until the authorities could board and deal with him. That can happen anywhere, any time, at any income level.

But if I boarded a ship and found burly (or even armed) security guards at every turn, it'd make me think that maybe, just maybe, that ship tended to have a lot of security problems and I wasn't going to have a relaxing vacation. :-)

Not quite, remind us please

Well after the unfortunate Brimble incident, Sydney Water Police Detectives boarded Pacific Sky in Noumea to investigate the death. One officer got real involved in the festivities after work and was filmed disco dancing on the ship. Hence he was named 'The Dancing Detective' by the Coroner and/or Media, who also managed to get on board on the trip back to Sydney.:rolleyes:

Edited by NSWP

Well after the unfortunate Brimble incident, Sydney Water Police Detectives boarded Pacific Sky in Noumea to investigate the death. One officer got real involved in the festivities after work and was filmed disco dancing on the ship. Hence he was named 'The Dancing Detective' by the Coroner and/or Media, who also managed to get on board on the trip back to Sydney.:rolleyes:
Right,I must have missed that bit.

I've always been impressed with security on cruise ships especially on Royal Caribbean and Celebrity where they are present without being "intrusive".

I know P&O Cruises use Australian and NZ RSA/security personnel and I found that sometimes they are very over zealous with one cruise on the Pacific Pearl the security would stand on the dance floor and stare directly at any one who looked like they were having any type of fun with their arms crossed which I would say was off putting and was enough for my group to stay seated in fear of judgement. They also had heaps of that macho attitude and would take any opportunity to assert their power and flex their steroid-ed up arms in front of passengers.

Definitely want cruise ships to be safe but not at the expense of enjoyment, so I would actually prefer them not to use the meathead security guards that you find way too often in Australia :');p ;p

Definitely want cruise ships to be safe but not at the expense of enjoyment, so I would actually prefer them not to use the meathead security guards that you find way too often in Australia :');p ;p

Sorry - do you really think you would sacrifice safety for enjoyment? Knowing that some folks idea of fun is causing trouble?

Ps.

Of those "meatheads". I've known some to be doctors, dentists, off-duty police, and even lawyers.

Loved the P&O concept of youth security and wish other lines would follow suit. Such a great idea, especially around the pool deck. The youth security staff on Eden were excellent with our kids; friendly but firm and focused on keeping everyone safe. Leaves the real security to deal with the drunken adults! :)