New to NCL and have questions about getting to the airport in Miami

We have only cruised out of Miami once on a Carnival cruise and we drove so no need to get to the airport or off the ship early.

Our family is sailing on the Getaway on 5/27/18. I am wondering if NCL has self disembarkation where you can carry off your own luggage so you can be off quicker? Mainly I'm wondering if some of the family could make a 9:30 AM flight out of Miami on the day of disembarkation? Our flight isn't until noon so I'm not worries but am trying to make flight arrangements for other family members.

Thanks for your help.

If everything goes perfectly it is possible to make a 9:30 am flight. Too many things can upset the timeline though. If the ship is late returning or slow to be cleared for any reason it could mean missing the flight. If immigration and customs are slow for some reason that could upset the timeline. It's a very chancy prospect to try to make a flight that early. If no other reasonable options exist and your friends have a backup plan in case they miss the flight then it might be worth considering, otherwise they should take a later flight.

Getting a taxi at the port and the straight shot to the airport is the easy part......getting thru MIA security and long lines is the problem, no matter what time of day or what day. I wouldn't trust getting a flight at 9:30am unless you go on American Airlines who sometimes have expedited entry to their terminal.

9:30 is doable. Get in line at 6:30. Self walk off starts around 7:30. Gotta get through ship security, down gangway, through therminal, down the escalator to the baggage hall, through immigrations and customs.

In September, self walkoff started at 7:10 and we were on the curb getting in a cab at 7:20.

A couple of weeks ago we did self disembark at 7:20 in the morning. Got a cab, no traffic, no real TSA or check in lines and was sitting at our gate at 8:30. So technically 9:30 flight (don't they board at least 30 min. early) would have been OK but we were glad to have a noon flight in case something didn't go smoothly. Gave us a chance to have something to eat before boarding as we just had a granola bar for breakfast and had skipped breakfast on the ship.

We have only cruised out of Miami once on a Carnival cruise and we drove so no need to get to the airport or off the ship early.

Our family is sailing on the Getaway on 5/27/18. I am wondering if NCL has self disembarkation where you can carry off your own luggage so you can be off quicker? Mainly I'm wondering if some of the family could make a 9:30 AM flight out of Miami on the day of disembarkation? Our flight isn't until noon so I'm not worries but am trying to make flight arrangements for other family members.

Thanks for your help.

Yes you can walk off but Miami airport is a zoo.

the Star cleared customs by 8 am

we were off by 840, we were suite guests and we paid for NCL transfer to the airport so we got priorty disembarking.

There were luggage porters in the hall to help us take baggage to the bus., quick checking with customs agents.

on the bus to air port by 9 am cost $16 from Cruise port to air port ant took 20 to 30 minutes

checked in and through security by 1030, walked a long way to our gate

boarded our 1200 noon flight with time to spare, absolutely easy disembarkment

9:30 is doable. Get in line at 6:30. Self walk off starts around 7:30. Gotta get through ship security, down gangway, through therminal, down the escalator to the baggage hall, through immigrations and customs.

In September, self walkoff started at 7:10 and we were on the curb getting in a cab at 7:20.

Getting in line at six thirty could be an issue unless you could find a crewmember who could give you the correct location of the front of the line, not a guarantee. Book after noon and relax, no pressure or stress about making it on time.