No Show Passenger; how did you handle it?

A couple of years ago, my hubby ended up in the ER on the evening after Thanksgiving (black Friday), and was not able to go on our cruise that left on the following Monday because he needed follow-up treatment.

I tried getting in touch with RCCL and the insurance company, and could not get anyone on the phone that knew ANYTHING about what I was supposed to do.

When I got to check-in, I told the reservation agent. She got a couple of the other agents and a supervisor, and none of them knew what to do. Once onboard, the purser's desk didn't know what to do either, but took down all the information and a copy of the ER report.

The port charges and taxes were refunded on my onboard account, and I was eventually refunded for his fare by our cruise insurance (outside company through our TA, not RCCL insurance).

I did feel guilty about calling him with the noise from the pool deck party in the background after he got home from having his badly infected toenail removed.

Note: after several friends consoled me with copious amounts of beverages that first, I decided to unpack about 3am. I couldn't find anything... but I really enjoyed having the cabin to myself. :)

I would let them know. They are not going to take your room away from you as it is paid in full for three people. You will still need to explain the absence of the third person to your room steward. Why start your vacation off on a sour note? Just to let you know, sometimes it is better to purchase insurance that is not offered by the cruise line as many policies do cover work related cancellations for certain reasons. So sorry that you will not be traveling with your daughter. Hope her job is worth it!
D

Do NOT do this! ^

They 'could' take your cabin away and move you. I have read that exact thing happening. Just do as the first couple of posters advised.

I can’t imagine that any cruise line be would force you to change rooms because you were reducing the number in the room...especially if you paid for three people...and were NOT receiving a refund. Not going to happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You simply do not know of what you speak. STOP it! It's BAD advice.

In Feb 2014 I had a cabin swapped due to the 3rd passenger cancelling. I was very upset, as it was a corner aft cabin that had been chosen specifically for the great large balcony. Yes, the refund for the 3rd passenger was returned, but not worth it for the cabin change. And to top it off, the week after this happened, I was reading my roll call for the cruise, and someone posted about just booking and what a great price they got for their corner aft cabin. They even put the cabin number in their post and it was the cabin that had been taken from me. AND guess what--------there were only 2 people in the cabin!!! I was very upset. I guess I got over it, but just saying that if you really want your cabin, wait until the last minute because you may lose it. Just typing this gets me upset all over again though.

Im so sorry. Yeah, that’s it, I feel like I’d get stuck with what ever crummy cabin that is left and a measly 3rd person refund. I think I’ll wait to see if she can join us at the last minute! I’m super fussy about my cabin choices, it’s one of the reasons I book a year or more in advance. Unfortunately, with young people, you can’t always know that far in advance what their plans are! Thanks for your advice!

A couple of years ago, my hubby ended up in the ER on the evening after Thanksgiving (black Friday), and was not able to go on our cruise that left on the following Monday because he needed follow-up treatment.

I tried getting in touch with RCCL and the insurance company, and could not get anyone on the phone that knew ANYTHING about what I was supposed to do.

When I got to check-in, I told the reservation agent. She got a couple of the other agents and a supervisor, and none of them knew what to do. Once onboard, the purser's desk didn't know what to do either, but took down all the information and a copy of the ER report.

The port charges and taxes were refunded on my onboard account, and I was eventually refunded for his fare by our cruise insurance (outside company through our TA, not RCCL insurance).

I did feel guilty about calling him with the noise from the pool deck party in the background after he got home from having his badly infected toenail removed.

Note: after several friends consoled me with copious amounts of beverages that first, I decided to unpack about 3am. I couldn't find anything... but I really enjoyed having the cabin to myself. :)

so sorry your hubby missed the cruise...at least it wasn’t super serious.

As it is not sure that your daughter will not be able to accompany you, it is better you do not inform the cruise line about that possibility. It could create some type of confusion, which you might not need at the end.

About you mentioning that if your daughter is not able to come, maybe someone else could take her place, I find this more complicated. The cruiselines are, because of safety reasons, not flexible about this if it does happen at the last minute.

I think the best thing is to hope your daughter can make it and if she can not, enjoy your preferred cabin the two of you. Have a nice cruise.

Ivi

As it is not sure that your daughter will not be able to accompany you, it is better you do not inform the cruise line about that possibility. It could create some type of confusion, which you might not need at the end.

About you mentioning that if your daughter is not able to come, maybe someone else could take her place, I find this more complicated. The cruiselines are, because of safety reasons, not flexible about this if it does happen at the last minute.

I think the best thing is to hope your daughter can make it and if she can not, enjoy your preferred cabin the two of you. Have a nice cruise.

Ivi

This is exactly our plan based on others’ experiences! I doubt we can get anyone to come last minute anyway! We recently were upgraded to a 3 br apt in Reykjavik and I posted on social media, for any friends available for the weekend to join us. No one did, and the room sat empty! I guess I don’t have very impulsive friends! :')

I have also heard that if you cancel a 3rd person, the price of the room could be adjusted to match the current pricing and I've heard stories that people ended up owing because they cancelled but the room was repriced at the much higher rate.

How would a no show first passenger work? Would they just lose their cruise fare? The second person would not owe anything more? Might have the same thing happen on a future cruise.

Yes, the no show passenger would lose their cruise fare. However, they would get back taxes and any money spend on pre-cruise purchases such as specialty dinners, excursions, etc. The second passenger would not owe more.