Land of the Midnight Sun (Norway) Cruise on Sapphire Princess

capriccio

Just posted this on a similar thread so thought it might be useful here - We were on the Sapphire in Feb this year in far east for 17 days yes it was a little tired but having now been in dry dock prior to its European summer stay I'm looking forward everything all refurbished which i believe has been done well from i have read elsewhere - Anyway we are back onboard 23rd. June on the previously mentioned cruise.

FYI

In June 2017 we were on the Crown to Norway and in fact are going back again this time on the longer 14 day cruise in June - To answer the OP -In Bergen we walked off the ship rode the Funicular and then walked up to various lookout points and then walked back down to ship - The hike down was a bit of a challenge but very enjoyable and the scenery great - This time we will probably explore more of the town

Olden - Got off the boat and straight outside went into the tourist office and booked the Glacier Bus - The trip gives you plenty of time to walk up to the glacier through the waterfalls and at a fraction of the cost of the boat tour which has less time at the summit - At other ports we just walked - Haven't done much planning for this June yet but Im sure most of the time we will walk and find our own things

Tony - we have a great roll call going. Feel free to join us if you want:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2428943&page=30

Just looked at The Princess excursion costs today - Unbelievable don't think I've ever seen such a selection of expensive trips - Do our own thing / tours as usual as on most previous cruises including last years short Norway cruise

Hi,

We have done this cruise a few years ago on Cunard. It was amazing! In Flam, we did the obligatory tram, Alesund we took a trip to Gisk and Godeye (sp?) and Gerianger is still the most beautiful place I have ever been. In Bergen, we took a walk up to the top of the hill and took in some stunning scenery. We took a boat in the fjord to Pulpit Rock.

Alesund will be remembered for its quayside departure, with the folk in traditional costumes dancing to us leaving and the brass band trumping out "we'll meet again", and Bergen for the fabulous flotilla they provided and the crowds on the bridge as we sailed under it.

One of my favourite cruises! I'm sure you will enjoy it!

I think this is a really good itinerary ... some great ports there. We've done 3 cruises to Norway and would love to return again - it is one of my favourite countries and I'm sure you would love it too!

Just looked at The Princess excursion costs today - Unbelievable don't think I've ever seen such a selection of expensive trips - Do our own thing / tours as usual as on most previous cruises including last years short Norway cruise

In general Tours in Norway cost more than in many other countries. In general prices for everything are considerably higher than in other places. Their taxes are 20%+!

So,yes, ships tours are more but costs from independent providers are high as well.

From what I have discovered in my research for our June 23 departure, the tours are worth it for the gorgeous scenery.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

In general Tours in Norway cost more than in many other countries. In general prices for everything are considerably higher than in other places. Their taxes are 20%+!

So,yes, ships tours are more but costs from independent providers are high as well.

From what I have discovered in my research for our June 23 departure, the tours are worth it for the gorgeous scenery.

Everyone to their own but have you looked at the local operators ?? and or how much you can just do on your own - In any case enjoy

Everyone to their own but have you looked at the local operators ?? and or how much you can just do on your own - In any case enjoy

Nightingalegirl is also on our cruise. I personally have booked mostly private tours and some are still pretty pricey. For me, this maybe a once in a life time trip and since we are both coming over from North America - it is not a cheap trip for me (air for me in the midwest for this cruise is very pricey). I am not going to wing it and just walk around. So yes, I am doing what I want to do and some of the tours with private companies are expensive but it is not as easy for me to get to Norway as it would be for someone who lives already in the UK like you do or other parts of Europe.

Comparing the US dollar to the NOK, Noway is an expensive country for me to visit. Maybe your exchange rate against the British Pound is better. I can tell you London is expensive for me also. Remember we are all coming from different distances and dealing with different exchange rates.

Nightingalegirl is also on our cruise. I personally have booked mostly private tours and some are still pretty pricey. For me, this maybe a once in a life time trip and since we are both coming over from North America - it is not a cheap trip for me (air for me in the midwest for this cruise is very pricey). I am not going to wing it and just walk around. So yes, I am doing what I want to do and some of the tours with private companies are expensive but it is not as easy for me to get to Norway as it would be for someone who lives already in the UK like you do or other parts of Europe.

Comparing the US dollar to the NOK, Noway is an expensive country for me to visit. Maybe your exchange rate against the British Pound is better. I can tell you London is expensive for me also. Remember we are all coming from different distances and dealing with different exchange rates.

I agree Norway is expensive - £ NOK is in fact same as $ and as you say you have booked mainly private tours i assume you agree with my initial comment on the ships tour costs - I also added for peoples information earlier on this thread two tour / trips we did last year at Skjolden and Bergen which worked out very reasonable - On a separate point I must congratulate you on the fantastic roll call schedule that you have prepared along with all the supporting information. I have not seen anything as detailed as this before - We are also looking to book the same tour as you in Honningsvag which gets a lot of recommendations but as yet i have not heard back from my email.

I agree Norway is expensive - £ NOK is in fact same as $ and as you say you have booked mainly private tours i assume you agree with my initial comment on the ships tour costs - I also added for peoples information earlier on this thread two tour / trips we did last year at Skjolden and Bergen which worked out very reasonable - On a separate point I must congratulate you on the fantastic roll call schedule that you have prepared along with all the supporting information. I have not seen anything as detailed as this before - We are also looking to book the same tour as you in Honningsvag which gets a lot of recommendations but as yet i have not heard back from my email.

Couple of quick points. Coral has been a great participant in what is a very active and helpful Roll Call but the schedule you were referring was set up by Wayne, who actually opened the roll call. Skjolden and the Lofoten‘s were the great challenges for us DIYers as there is very little infrastructure at those ports. Of recent it is taking Monika about 2 days to respond from Honningsvåg but I actually heard back today and she is still adding bookings. She now has a nice web page at

http://www.blue-puffin.com but you cannot book through it. She still does her bookings through email.

Will pass your comment onto Wayne - our great leader on our Roll Call who created the best spreadsheet I have ever seen for a Roll Call! Definitely impressive!

North Cape Tour - long story short. Monika used to run the tours but didn't own the company. The owners decided to not operate this year so Monika and her husband took over recently. All the reviews about Monika on Trip Advisor under the old company have been outstanding so I know we will have a great tour.

You are right, North Cape tour and Stavanger boat ride are a lot cheaper compared to Princess. You have obviously seen the spreadsheet and that I am booked on many private tours but I do have 2 with the cruise line. I am also doing 2 on my own (Bergen and Trondheim). Well walking around Bergen and not fully sure about Trondheim beyond seeing the church. I still feel like I have spent more on this cruise on tours than any other cruise I have been on. Heck, I thought Alaska was expensive. :)

Yes - I fully agree with you on Princess's costs. Just comparing the Pulpit Rock boat ride ($60 US vs $180? with waffles). Though I am booked with Princess in Hellsylt, Lofoten and I think Alesund (so maybe 3) as I can't book privately for what I am doing. Well, still searching.

Looking forward to meeting you onboard!

Edited by Coral

Of recent it is taking Monika about 2 days to respond from Honningsvåg but I actually heard back today and she is still adding bookings. She now has a nice web page at

www.blue-puffin.com but you cannot book through it. She still does her bookings through email.

Thanks for the website! I haven't communicated with Monika recently. Really looking forward to it!

I am back!

I agree with everyone’s comments re costs and the reasons for doing whatever you’re doing. We are also taking private tours plus driving with Wayne in a car rental. We plan to walk in some places but are still making plans. In general we we do private tours on all our trips. I agree that the costs on this trip are much higher than we usually encounter but we really want to do this itinerary and we want to see as much as possible therefore we have to close our eyes and dive in! In general we like the private tours because there are fewer people and we can control the itinerary more easily. More touring,less shopping stops.

We are really looking forward to spending two weeks with all the folks on the roll call. It will e so much fun!

I am back!

I agree with everyone’s comments re costs and the reasons for doing whatever you’re doing. We are also taking private tours plus driving with Wayne in a car rental.

I’m not going to take this personally. Been called worse. Craig :D:D

In fact Norway is recognized as a very expensive place to visit. Using the now well established Big Mac Index, it is second only to Switzerland in the world.

Couple of quick points. Coral has been a great participant in what is a very active and helpful Roll Call but the schedule you were referring was set up by Wayne, who actually opened the roll call. Skjolden and the Lofoten‘s were the great challenges for us DIYers as there is very little infrastructure at those ports. Of recent it is taking Monika about 2 days to respond from Honningsvåg but I actually heard back today and she is still adding bookings. She now has a nice web page at

www.blue-puffin.com but you cannot book through it. She still does her bookings through email.

Thanks for update - I will try messaging Wayne as well but if you are touch let him know my thanks - When we were last in Skjolden - This is a copy of what I put on Tripadvisor -

Get off your cruise ship and walk - First of all we walked up to the observation point for a fantastic view and then after we had walked back down we took the other path / road to the waterfall long way but scenery very enjoyable so was the cold beer once we had arrived

In fact Norway is recognized as a very expensive place to visit. Using the now well established Big Mac Index, it is second only to Switzerland in the world.

You know - I need to check the Big Mac Index before I book a trip. When I went to Russia, it was the most expensive city in the world. I see a pattern here! I almost added on some extra days in Switzerland as my air was with them back then. Of course Switzerland is on my list of places I must travel to soon.

Thanks for update - I will try messaging Wayne as well but if you are touch let him know my thanks - When we were last in Skjolden - This is a copy of what I put on Tripadvisor -

Get off your cruise ship and walk - First of all we walked up to the observation point for a fantastic view and then after we had walked back down we took the other path / road to the waterfall long way but scenery very enjoyable so was the cold beer once we had arrived

Thanks - I have booked a private tour here to a National Park but it is only half a day. Hope to have some time to walk around after.

I’m not going to take this personally. Been called worse. Craig :D:D

So sorry Craig! I am so sorry! Had a senior moment! Really looking forward to our day together and other fun on our trip together. And I promise I will never call you Wayne again!!!!

Avril

Yep we heard back from her this evening and have booked ourselves on the 13.30 tour - Gives us a lay in after what i assume will be a formal night the previous evening being a sea day although i don't know that for sure

• 2 months later...
I'm booked on the June 23 trip. Both it & the Aug. 18 are filling up FAST!

Were you in Geiranger 6/27? I have some photos of the ship I can email you. I couldn't find the roll call. We were onshore that day and saw you sail out of the fjord.

Were you in Geiranger 6/27? I have some photos of the ship I can email you. I couldn't find the roll call. We were onshore that day and saw you sail out of the fjord.

Yes - we were there on the 27th! DRS was on my cruise.

I would love to see our sailaway pictures. My email is in my signature. Thanks!

Our roll call is here: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2428943&page=13