Tipping

LovetheCubs

Hi all, I am back from the big birthday party and in reading the responses here and going back searching the most current threads I would stand corrected and am very sorry. Maybe my research was more The Haven doesnt but we always tip the butler extra and that stuck in my mind. I really am sorry because I know people count on getting the correct answers here.

No worries :)

Hi all, I am back from the big birthday party and in reading the responses here and going back searching the most current threads I would stand corrected and am very sorry. Maybe my research was more The Haven doesnt but we always tip the butler extra and that stuck in my mind. I really am sorry because I know people count on getting the correct answers here.

Not to worry - it's to your credit that you came back to say sorry.

My reaction to your post was probably harsher than I meant it to be. It was always my understanding that the butler and concierge were included in the daily service charge, so I was puzzled by your assertion and I felt it was important to have the correct information. I've sometimes got things wrong on here, too, and am always grateful when someone puts me right.

Anyway, I hope you had a wonderful time yesterday. :)

Thanks for researching again, since what you have posted about butlers not being included in the tipps of MSC cruises raised many questions from MSC regulars. We have not heard about it before either, and we are black members from MSC because we have traveled with the company to acquire that status.

Ivi

One question I have that I haven't found the answer. Since Butlers ARE included in the tip pool, does their share decrease the share for the Steward or everyone. Many cruise lines post the breakdown of the $12-$13 per day service charge that is divided between Steward, Waiter, etc., MSC does not. Since this is 1 extra person and I don't believe YC guest pay a higher service charge, does it just lower everyone else's tip. Maybe, it's not enough of them to matter much, but I was always curious.

One question I have that I haven't found the answer. Since Butlers ARE included in the tip pool, does their share decrease the share for the Steward or everyone. Many cruise lines post the breakdown of the $12-$13 per day service charge that is divided between Steward, Waiter, etc., MSC does not. Since this is 1 extra person and I don't believe YC guest pay a higher service charge, does it just lower everyone else's tip. Maybe, it's not enough of them to matter much, but I was always curious.

This is an excellent question and my only thought is that they may have a salaried position? The daily tips certainly do not reflect their coverage as you pointed out in your post.

Jdfireman , just wanted to warn you that you might be flamed for your idea to tip at the beginning of the cruise . Someone even stated that it " disgusted" them ! Wow !

I still fully intend to tip whom ever I choose to . I don't consider it a bribe as they have stated. I simply know how hard these folks work and I want to show my appreciation. My personal opinion is that tipping is a personal choice .

Of course I always pay the service charges as well .

Jdfireman , just wanted to warn you that you might be flamed for your idea to tip at the beginning of the cruise . Someone even stated that it " disgusted" them ! Wow !

I still fully intend to tip whom ever I choose to . I don't consider it a bribe as they have stated. I simply know how hard these folks work and I want to show my appreciation. My personal opinion is that tipping is a personal choice .

Of course I always pay the service charges as well .

Not to worried been flamed many times and I am still here Living in NJ I know what not tipping people can do for you in future visits.

You never know when you will be on another ship with the same staff

I firmly believe (i have a source) that crew members from ship to ship speak about passengers that are good and bad.

This has nothing to do with YC tipping but when I was on Seaside in mid Feb it was interesting to see how some staff reacted to tips. It was obvious that some staff really weren't accustomed to tipping and they certainly weren't intending to provide any additional services for tips. At one point I was standing at a bar waiting for a drink to be made. A server walked up to the bar with a drink request for the bartender and also gave him the cash that was given to her by the cruiser. He asked her what the money was for and she just said "Stupid Americans" and they laughed about it. The bartender just loosely put the cash on the bar. It was a totally foreign concept to them.

Not to worried been flamed many times and I am still here Living in NJ I know what not tipping people can do for you in future visits.

You never know when you will be on another ship with the same staff

I firmly believe (i have a source) that crew members

from ship to ship speak about passengers that are good and bad.

No one is talking about tipping. You can tip whomever you please. We were talking about pre tipping. I had one butler I never saw on one of my YC trips. There was no way I'd have tipped him extra, and if I'd pre tipped I'd have asked for a refund. Not sure what the NJ reference was all about, but I'm Scottish, living in Glasgow and loving it too. And I too always pay my dsc and tip extra, just in case we get into that whole scottish thing :)

This is the definition of tipping:

'the act of giving an amount of money to someone who has provided a service, especially in a hotel or restaurant.'

This is the definition of bribery:

'the act of giving money, goods or other forms of recompense to a recipient in exchange for an alteration of their behavior that the recipient would otherwise not alter.'

Doing my first YC this summer. My plan is to give our butler a C note upfront. I am sure this will brighten his day .. We also tip most people we come in contact with that provide exceptional service..

Just realize these are not like butlers in NCL Haven, more like upgraded cabin attendants. On NCL, your butler does everything that is personal, like in room dining, treats, any room service and tipping ahead can improve that highly personal service.

In the YC, your butler will provide some services, but you will typically be served by anyone in the fleet of butlers in the common spaces, at the bar, the pool, etc.

Just to consider, as you may find you’ve gotten service from many different butlers, not just yours, very unlike NCL.

You may wish you had held back and used that C note on several different individuals in the YC, including the bartenders. Maybe half upfront and then see who earns that second half.

Tipping is of course highly personal but since this is your first time in YC you might like to hear how the butler system works. It is really more of a team effort at least in my experience.

Curious if others feel the same way.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just realize these are not like butlers in NCL Haven, more like upgraded cabin attendants. On NCL, your butler does everything that is personal, like in room dining, treats, any room service and tipping ahead can improve that highly personal service.

In the YC, your butler will provide some services, but you will typically be served by anyone in the fleet of butlers in the common spaces, at the bar, the pool, etc.

Just to consider, as you may find you’ve gotten service from many different butlers, not just yours, very unlike NCL.

You may wish you had held back and used that C note on several different individuals in the YC, including the bartenders. Maybe half upfront and then see who earns that second half.

Tipping is of course highly personal but since this is your first time in YC you might like to hear how the butler system works. It is really more of a team effort at least in my experience.

Curious if others feel the same way.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Well TY for the input... Never did NCL Haven don't really like the brand. I am glad you brought to my attention about all involved.

I will be bringing many Half C notes than and the other half for after.

Guess I will Bribe my way through all the staff...

This trip is basically because they did a status match and to try something new.. We will make the best of it ..

We couldn't tip the waiters in the YC restaurant as there were so many who took care of us throughout the week. Despite this, every one of them made a point of coming over to us to have some last words and say goodbye to us when we were leaving the restaurant after our last lunch onboard - something I'd never experienced before.

Just a thought...

When we've had outstanding service from a dining team, we gave an envelope to the maitre 'D with instructions (written and verbal) that it was for the team, to be distributed as he/she saw fit. Separate envelope for the maitre 'D.

Just a thought...

When we've had outstanding service from a dining team, we gave an envelope to the maitre 'D with instructions (written and verbal) that it was for the team, to be distributed as he/she saw fit. Separate envelope for the maitre 'D.

Thank you - that's a wonderful idea!

We hadn't thought of it as we usually just have the same waiter when in YC so we were caught out! We'll be in YC on Splendida for 28 nights in 4 weeks time so that's exactly what we'll do! :)

Just for Clarification, The Butlers are NOT included in the tip pool in the Yacht Club. We always tip a minimum regardless of whether we use his services or not. We generally do not ask him to do a thing. We also find that there are one or two other butlers that end up giving you excellent personalized service both at the Top Sail One and The One Deck. We also tip them at the end of our cruise. We also tip the Dining Room server extra just because they offer incredible service.

Also, we have done the Haven several times and while we love it the service doesnt even begin to compare to what you will experience in the YC. Bon Voyage!

Couldn’t agree with you more!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums