Anthem or Escape for Caribbean Cruise

Jacaluke

We are looking at doing a Caribbean cruise out of New York in December - we can’t choose between the Escape or the Anthem of the Seas. Both itineraries look great - Escape is cheaper yet a day longer. I’ve heard you fork out more money onboard the Escape though. There will be 5 of us travelling - 2 adults and 3 kids aged 18, 16 and 12. Appreciate any advice, thank-you.

We are looking at doing a Caribbean cruise out of New York in December - we can’t choose between the Escape or the Anthem of the Seas. Both itineraries look great - Escape is cheaper yet a day longer. I’ve heard you fork out more money onboard the Escape though. There will be 5 of us travelling - 2 adults and 3 kids aged 18, 16 and 12. Appreciate any advice, thank-you.

I haven’t done Anthem, but have done all of the other RCCL mega ships for the most part. My cruise on the Escape beat RCCL in every single way and I can’t recommend it enough. I don’t think I’ll ever sail with Royal again, as I was very dissapointed with my last cruise with them.

Plus, that extra day is well worth it, especially if it’s cheaper.

We’ve sailed Anthem from NJ on one of the 12 day itineraries. I would not agree that you fork out more money onboard, they both try and separate you from your cash!

The big difference for us is that Anthem has a covered pool that’s available to everyone, whereas Escape you need to book the Haven. Another big difference is with the activities, on Anthem there was a lot of pre-booking and standing in line to do things (like flowrider or the skydiving simulator) whereas on NCL we can keep the kids active without having to book things ahead of time.

We have enjoyed both ships, but went back to NCL for the freestyle dining and suites. RCCL’s suites are way more expensive and offer less perks than NCL.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We have sailed on both ships.

If it were mom and dad only, Anthem wins.

If the kids like water slides and climbing on rope courses, Escape wins over bumper cars and other activities at the sea plex on the Anthem.

If it is iFly or die, the the Anthem wins.

Anthem still has stuffy formal night which we can do without whist on holiday. Freestyle cruising on the Escape is easier with kids. Shorts, a shirt and sneakers and the are ready for dinner (mom and dad too).

Anthem still has stuffy formal night which we can do without whist on holiday. Freestyle cruising on the Escape is easier with kids. Shorts, a shirt and sneakers and the are ready for dinner (mom and dad too).

You don't have to dress up fancy on Anthem. We looked neat and nice, but not what I'd call formal.

We love the Anthem. Haven't done Escape but have done Getaway and Breakaway. We would go on any again.

OP: Read reviews and also do ship tours on websites. I can't see either as a bad cruise! :D

The only thing I didn't really like about the Escape was the fact that you couldn't use the covered in pool- reserved for Haven guests only. They also have the Vibe Club which is reserved for first-in best-dressed - and a lot of people who pay for the Haven also get these Vibe passes as they are first to board and therefore get first dibs. I hope it is still a good cruise for the people who book the standard ocean-view cabins on Deck 5.

We were on Anthem two weeks ago. Yes, they have something called "formal night." While some folks were dressed up, mostly this was ignored. Not saying you should or could wear shorts to dinner, but it's not like you need a tux or gown on Anthem. My wife and I were "smart casual" at all dinners, and this was fine. (Guys were wearing baseball caps at dinner in the suite restaurant, so I don't think anyone can call Anthem "stuffy.")