Epic, Pearl, or Breakaway

SCAnthony

Okay, bear with me...trying to decide on an NCL cruise for late March ‘19. We have done RC and Carnival, wanting to give NCL a try. We are looking at the Epic from Port Canaveral, Pearl from Tampa, and Breakaway from New Orleans. First choice on departure port is by far New Orleans...it’s closer drive (about 6 hrs instead of 9-10 to Tampa or Orlando), and we love spending a day or two in New Orleans before a cruise. It’s a tie on the others. First choice on itinerary is by far the Epic from PC....stops at private island in Bahamas and Grand Cayman (our Favorite). All are W. Caribbean. Least favorite itinerary looks like Breakaway from New Orleans(due to Belize and Costa Maya). So it may come down to the ship. Obviously I’ve read mixed reviews on all, especially the Epic. We will have our kids w us who will be 8 & 12 at the time. I’ve seen lots of complaints of long waits and making reservations for the shows and stuff on the mega ships so that might push us to the Pearl. Just really don’t know. Price is about the same for all. Would love to hear people’s pr s and come on these since we have never cruised NCL before. Also, the bathroom setup on the Epic looks weird to me but is it better that way?? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Given the options and the kids, we would recommend the Breakaway out of NOLA. The Breakaway will give you contemporary resort cruising. Water slides and rope courses for the kids. And a great kids program. And, the Breakaway will leave shortly for a major dry dock, so the public areas should be fresh and new. We have sailed on the Breakaway 3 times and have done 16 NCL megaship cruises (Epic, Breakaway, Getaway, Escape) and will be doing two more (so far) this year.

My choice would be:

1. Breakaway

2. Epic

3. Pearl

As a father of two who have done a few NCL cruises, the kids will,have so much more to do on the bigger ships. So will you for that matter.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Okay, bear with me...trying to decide on an NCL cruise for late March ‘19. We have done RC and Carnival, wanting to give NCL a try. We are looking at the Epic from Port Canaveral, Pearl from Tampa, and Breakaway from New Orleans. First choice on departure port is by far New Orleans...it’s closer drive (about 6 hrs instead of 9-10 to Tampa or Orlando), and we love spending a day or two in New Orleans before a cruise. It’s a tie on the others. First choice on itinerary is by far the Epic from PC....stops at private island in Bahamas and Grand Cayman (our Favorite). All are W. Caribbean. Least favorite itinerary looks like Breakaway from New Orleans(due to Belize and Costa Maya). So it may come down to the ship. Obviously I’ve read mixed reviews on all, especially the Epic. We will have our kids w us who will be 8 & 12 at the time. I’ve seen lots of complaints of long waits and making reservations for the shows and stuff on the mega ships so that might push us to the Pearl. Just really don’t know. Price is about the same for all. Would love to hear people’s pr s and come on these since we have never cruised NCL before. Also, the bathroom setup on the Epic looks weird to me but is it better that way?? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My personal feelings and that all they are: though we didin't hate the Epic, mega ships are just not us, but with kids it is a totally different story. I would not take a family on the Epic, for the reason you just made: the bathroom set up. We did the BA last spring. There are so many things for kids to do, even though I wasn't thrilled with some aspects of the ship. I think with kids I would be inclined to take the BA even though the Pearl is one of my favorite ships.

Do you like smaller or larger ships?

How important is a shorter drive to the port?

Do you primarily sail for the ship activities, itinerary, or just to sail?

All of your options seem good!!

Our next cruise is on the Breakaway. Even though we typically like smaller ships, we really love being able to drive to the ship on the day of sailing and driving home after the sailing, with no worries about flights or hotels. It makes everything easier. When we’re cruising the Caribbean, the itinerary is secondary for us. It’s about relaxing, going to the beach (almost any beach, haha), and spending time together. We would probably choose the Breakaway.

Hope that you have a great time on the cruise you choose!