Adventure vs. Jewel

Hey all,

I just wanted to get everyone's input on Adventure vs. Jewel. We are looking at a cruise in April, and both of these ships have almost identical itineraries leaving the same weekend (one Sat, one Sun). I have done this itinerary before on Carnival, so I'm trying to compare ships. We have never sailed RCCL before...several Carnival a while ago, but have recently been mostly on NCL's big ships, which we love. I'm not sure how these two will compare to the bigger ones, but that's why I'm posting. Any info from people who have been on both i.e. which they prefer and why would be appreciated!

Also, I was booked on the Adventure back in September to the ABCs, but it was cancelled due to Maria (:loudcry:). We would be in a balcony, and it seems like all of them on Adventure are cove-type...maybe that's just how it looks in the pictures?

Thanks in advance! Happy cruising ~:cool:

Zack

You are correct, all the balconies on Adventure are inside the hull. Some call them "cave-like". I like them because they are more private than the newer style balconies, but there is more visibility from the newer style.

You cannot go wrong with either ship. Jewel is smaller and has views outside from virtually every public venue. Adventure has the Royal Promenade, flowrider, and slides now.

we were on AOS in 2015, Jewel in 2017 and heading back to AOS in April. Jewel was fine - we liked the promenade of AOS. We didnt use/dont care about the ice skating on AOS. But the new flowrider and waterfalls are a plus!

We've cruised on both ships and we feel you can't go wrong with either ship. Both are beautiful ships. Tough call. We like the Jewel because of the size and views. We like the balconies better on the Jewel. We like the Adventure because of the ice skating rink for the ice shows and some other activities there. The Royal Promenade Deck on the Adventure is nice but no longer a draw for us. Both have water slides and rock climbing walls if that's your thing. But the Adventure just went thru a face lift so to speak. Whatever ship you decide on, do the other the following year. And if at all possible do a B2B on each ship. We like cruising out of San Juan because the cruises are more port intensive.

As others have said, it's really a matter of personal preference. We were on Adventure last week. She's a great ship and, as another poster mentioned, fresh out of dry dock. The ice rink, water slides, FlowRider and Promenade insure there is a lot to do on board.

That said, I suspect you're looking at a very port intensive itinerary, probably one a single sea day. Having all those bells and whistles on board become less of an advantage with so little time to take advantage of them.

I've sailed on Adventure twice - once 10 years ago and once last week. I've also sailed on Jewel twice. I personally prefer Jewel, but I am 100% certain others will say just the opposite.

My reasons for preferring Jewel:

• Lots of glass offers constant views of the ocean to remind you that you're at sea. Even one of the elevator banks faces the ocean.
  • With no Royal Promenade, popular events - like the Quest and the 70s Party - are held in more intimate venues, allowing more passenger participation.
  • OUTSIDE TABLES AT THE WINDJAMMER!!!!! Why don't other ships have this? It's so great eating breakfast outside, watching the ship pull into port!
  • The solarium pool is gorgeous.
  • It may seem counter-intuitive, but I've found the smaller ships to feel LESS crowded. You can actually get an elevator when you need it!!

I love the ice show on Adventure. I did go skating on my cruise last week, but we had TWO sea days. We enjoyed sitting out front of the Duck and Dog to people watch. The water slides are fun - something I really missed from my early cruising days on Carnival. We had a GREAT cruise on Adventure, but the Radiance Class ships are still my favorite. There is just something about the beauty, elegance and intimacy of those ships.

Hey all,

I just wanted to get everyone's input on Adventure vs. Jewel. We are looking at a cruise in April, and both of these ships have almost identical itineraries leaving the same weekend (one Sat, one Sun). I have done this itinerary before on Carnival, so I'm trying to compare ships. We have never sailed RCCL before...several Carnival a while ago, but have recently been mostly on NCL's big ships, which we love. I'm not sure how these two will compare to the bigger ones, but that's why I'm posting. Any info from people who have been on both i.e. which they prefer and why would be appreciated!

Also, I was booked on the Adventure back in September to the ABCs, but it was cancelled due to Maria (:loudcry:). We would be in a balcony, and it seems like all of them on Adventure are cove-type...maybe that's just how it looks in the pictures?

Thanks in advance! Happy cruising ~:cool:

Zack

I love both ships and would happily on either. Are you traveling with kids? I have never done so, but many think the Adventure has more for kids to do, which is probably true. Without kids I would choose the better itinerary or deal. It just so happens I got that on both last year and this year.

Thanks, all!

No kids for us. I think y'all have me convinced on the Jewel. I'm all about the ocean and the views, so it sounds great. And I like those balconies better. I did go on the Norwegian Pearl, and it has the Great Outdoors on the upper aft...outside, apparently like the Windjammer on the Jewel. It was great, and I didn't mind the smaller size of the ship at all. Thanks again for everyone's help! :D

Thanks, all!

No kids for us. I think y'all have me convinced on the Jewel. I'm all about the ocean and the views, so it sounds great. And I like those balconies better. I did go on the Norwegian Pearl, and it has the Great Outdoors on the upper aft...outside, apparently like the Windjammer on the Jewel. It was great, and I didn't mind the smaller size of the ship at all. Thanks again for everyone's help! :D

I think you will be happy with your decision.