Cell Phone Carrier

cruisecle

I will be in London for several days and then on a British Isles cruise. Looking for recommendation on from which carrier it would be best to get a sim card. Don't foresee receiving or making a lot of calls. While in London will use for making restaurant reservation and possibly checking on museum opening and closing times. Will also use for uber. In ports where we are not on an organized tour, will want to be able to contact others from the ship.

I rented and took with me a mobile wifi device.

Put my phone in airplane mode. Connected to my wifi device.

Had internet service wherever I went for surfing and texting.

Had my phone enabled for wifi calling to accept and make phone calls.

Worked great and didn't incur one unexpected charge on my phone bill

https://www.skyroam.com/

Perhaps if the OP gives us a few pieces of info, such as what carrier they currently use, and if their phone is unlocked. Then we can be very specific about their options.

The phone is unlocked. It is currently not being used, so it is not on any network.

Just looking to get a sim card for using the phone in the UK.

When in London call into a cellphone shop and buy a month package that has calls, texts and data included eg Vodafone has a variety of options https://www.vodafone.co.uk/en/bundles-and-sims/best-sim-only-deals.html - you have a wide choice of providers, Vodafone is but one. A reasonable package would be about 25USD for 500mins, unlimited texts and 5gb data - much cheaper than 10USD per day for US based options.

Take your phone into the store and get them to install and register etc so that it's working when you leave. With such an arrangement it includes free roaming in any EU country. Make sure there are no recurring monthly charges on a credit card if you use one.