When to book specialty dining?

Uhfolks

I'm just wondering when everyone recommends booking things like the steakhouse.

Is there a way to find out what nights the ship will be serving what menu items in the dining room? What about formal nights?

We'd really like to plan our steakhouse visit around a night where nothing sounds great in the dining room, but not sure if there's a way to do that.

We reserved the steakhouse the first night. We thought it would be a wonderful way to kick off our vacation. But, we also appreciate the free bottle of wine or 50% off a bottle of our choice. If the MDR is less than satisfactory, we may just eat in the steakhouse another night too!

We reserved the steakhouse the first night. We thought it would be a wonderful way to kick off our vacation. But, we also appreciate the free bottle of wine or 50% off a bottle of our choice. If the MDR is less than satisfactory, we may just eat in the steakhouse another night too!

I considered just booking the first night for the wine. But I'm thinking it'd be a nice break from the dining room part-way through the week. I can justify paying an extra $70 one night, but my budget isn't unlimited unfortunately :(:(

I considered just booking the first night for the wine. But I'm thinking it'd be a nice break from the dining room part-way through the week. I can justify paying an extra $70 one night, but my budget isn't unlimited unfortunately :(:(
If you're only going one night, book it for the last night because there isn't a better way to end your cruise.

We usually book the last night because you are almost guaranteed an absolutely delightful, relaxing dinner. But I heard they serve Baked Alaska dessert on the last night now, so I'm a bit torn.....

We booked our sailing on the Conquest in July, in October. I made steakhouse reservations in November. So if you're asking how far in advance, I made our reservations 9 months in advance. We're eating there the second night we're on the ship, so we can get a 50% off bottle of wine.

We reserved the steakhouse about 3 weeks before our cruise on the Glory last week. I reserved it for a night during the middle of the cruise that wasn't a formal night. Worked out well and was a nice break from the MDR.

ETA: On our 7-day cruise, formal night was night 3 and 6.

Edited by dolita22
Adding when formal nights fell

We usually book the last night because you are almost guaranteed an absolutely delightful, relaxing dinner. But I heard they serve Baked Alaska dessert on the last night now, so I'm a bit torn.....
Make your usual reservation and after verifying the Baked Alaska, personally visit the hostess at the Steakhouse and ask her to have it sent to you for your dessert. They will oblige you since my ex wife got Grand Marnier souffle hooked up for me in the Steakhouse years ago.

I book in the middle of the trip to break up the dining room experience.....I don't book on elegant nights...I book in advance as soon as I have a night in mind..just one way it makes me feel that much closer to the upcoming cruise...