Estimated tender time in Edinburgh - June Royal Princess

smm0218

I was in Edinburgh last May on CP and gave myself 45 minutes for the tender trip. I am elite so I was able to get on the tender in only a few minutes - where I waited at least 20 minutes as the tender filled up.

I had planned to walk to the train station for a 10:04 departure that would have gotten me to my destination in good time. No chance I was going to make that on foot. A taxi might have made it - but the lineup at the taxi stand was long with no cars in sight.

I went to the line for the buses (10 pounds for a round trip) just as they were looking for people willing to fill the last single seat. I took that and managed to get to my walking tour about 3 minutes late. Fortunately they were just about to leave.

I would plan for at least an hour - 90 minutes to be safe - to make the tender trip.

BTW - Sandeman’s tours offers good walking tours (I did Dublin and Edinburgh). They are free tours but they do ask for a donation when the tour is finished (but not aggressively). I was happy to pay 10 pounds each time and they were happy to take it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by alfieisgod

I was in Edinburgh last May on CP and gave myself 45 minutes for the tender trip. I am elite so I was able to get on the tender in only a few minutes - where I waited at least 20 minutes as the tender filled up.

I would plan for at least an hour - 90 minutes to be safe - to make the tender trip.

From the time the ship "docked" to the time they started tendering was about how long? We are supposed to arrive at 7 and since we aren't Elite, planned on being in line by 6:30 to get tender tickets for an 8:30 taxi pickup.

Feasible or possible?

TIA

Elite or not, if you and your party head down early you should have no problems getting on tender 1 or 2. There should be no immigration since the previous port will be Scotland. If the ship docks or anchors at 7 then the first tender will be 730 the latest. It will be clearly communicated which MDR you'll need to go for tickets and your whole party needs to go. It's 1 ticket per person. However since the OP asks about leaving around 9, that is a big unknown. I would check Princess tours and see what time they leave. Also when local boats help with tenders things move much faster.

From the time the ship "docked" to the time they started tendering was about how long? We are supposed to arrive at 7 and since we aren't Elite, planned on being in line by 6:30 to get tender tickets for an 8:30 taxi pickup.

Feasible or possible?

TIA

I am not the best person to ask. 6:30 am is usually way to early for me to be up and about, but I would guess it would be possible - but I would consider it too tight for my comfort. I suspect the tenders will start operations promptly - but you would have the Princess excursion people ahead of you. I would be more comfortable with a 9:00 am pickup.

Feasible or possible?

TIA

From all my tendering on Royal class ships with Princess the MDR used is usually Symphony on deck 5. You can hang out in the piazza and keep an eye on any lines or when they open the doors. 6:30 should be fine to be plenty of time, most will be on princess tours and will be meeting at other locations

Passengers number around 3600 and there are sixteen tenders on the deck plan. This divides out to 200+ passengers for each tender. I should say they take 200 - 250 passengers per tender.

Regards John

But I have never seen any ship use all their tenders for ship to shore transfers, usually half stay on board for any emergency.

I mentioned before when in South Queensferry in 2009 on Crown Princess, large ferry was charted by Princess for supplementary tendering, worked well.;) Perhaps Royal will do the same.

We were on May 1-13 Royal Princess, Princess had 4 their own tenders and 2 large local tenders at early in the morning. We left the ship around 8:00 AM with our group with no waiting. In the afternoon after the tour around 5:15 PM Princess had their tenders plus 1 large local tender to return to the ship.

We were on May 1-13 Royal Princess, Princess had 4 their own tenders and 2 large local tenders at early in the morning. We left the ship around 8:00 AM with our group with no waiting. In the afternoon after the tour around 5:15 PM Princess had their tenders plus 1 large local tender to return to the ship.

How early did you get in line? Did you get Priority tendering, Elite etc? I understand that makes a difference in how fast you get off.

Thanks

Sandi

Indeed - would love more details. The statement "with our group" was ambiguous to me; were you on a Princess tour (and thus your group got the priority tender), or do you mean "your travelling companions" and you were actually able to tender that early without a Princess tour.

Also, any more info on the new x99 bus at S Queensferry? We're on the Royal for the UK itinerary 18 June cruise and we find that we're making last-minute adjustments to our plans based on reports from the current cruises (e.g. we have decided to rent a car on Guernsey, as the buses are apparently not useful for hopping off; they are so full that it can be hard to get on again).

How early did you get in line? Did you get Priority tendering, Elite etc? I understand that makes a difference in how fast you get off.

Thanks

Sandi

Indeed - would love more details. The statement "with our group" was ambiguous to me; were you on a Princess tour (and thus your group got the priority tender), or do you mean "your travelling companions" and you were actually able to tender that early without a Princess tour.

Also, any more info on the new x99 bus at S Queensferry? We're on the Royal for the UK itinerary 18 June cruise and we find that we're making last-minute adjustments to our plans based on reports from the current cruises (e.g. we have decided to rent a car on Guernsey, as the buses are apparently not useful for hopping off; they are so full that it can be hard to get on again).

We are on the June 6th BI cruise and I will try to do a quick update from the ship about Edinburgh, if nothing else til we get home.

Thanks

Sandi

Royal Princess got in before 7 AM and they announced the ship got cleared around 7:30. We had a private tour at 8:30 with a group of 8 people. We are Elites they said we can take 2 friends as priority tendering with us but we did not have to because by then it was hardly anymore people in the waiting room.

With 6 tenders to start out they moved people off the ship very quick.

I hope the information is helpful.

Royal Princess got in before 7 AM and they announced the ship got cleared around 7:30. We had a private tour at 8:30 with a group of 8 people. We are Elites they said we can take 2 friends as priority tendering with us but we did not have to because by then it was hardly anymore people in the waiting room.

With 6 tenders to start out they moved people off the ship very quick.

I hope the information is helpful.

Thanks

Sorry I did not make it clear. Our group was on a private arrangement tour so the waiting room for tender ticket was at Concerto dining room. Once we got off the tender there were some x99 at the pier to take people into Endingbvrg.

On our sailing the ship skipped Guernsey due to bad weather and could not tender us into port. Captain Draper decided and announced very early of the day.

The transatlantic cruise they skipped Normandy due to bad weather but we made it there on ours but it rained most of the day.

Hope the information is helpful to you.

Have a wonderful cruise

We are Elites they said we can take 2 friends as priority tendering with us but we did not have to because by then it was hardly anymore people in the waiting room.

I'm surprised by that. It's aways been my understanding that only Elites themselves were entitled to priority tendering. (Except for minor children and maybe spouses.) Maybe you can plead on a case-by-case basis?