Estimated tender time in Edinburgh - June Royal Princess

smm0218

Will be stopping in Edinburgh, June 15th 2018and am trying to make plans. Only our 2nd cruise and have never tendered. We have no status that would allow us any priority in getting off the ship. Getting up early to get tender tickets (I think that's how it's done) isn't a problem. Schedule arrival time in Edinburgh is 7am.

Any info that would give me a good time to be picked up in South Queensferry for trip to St. Andrews would be very helpful and much appreciated.

Will be stopping in Edinburgh, June 15th 2018and am trying to make plans. Only our 2nd cruise and have never tendered. We have no status that would allow us any priority in getting off the ship. Getting up early to get tender tickets (I think that's how it's done) isn't a problem. Schedule arrival time in Edinburgh is 7am.

Any info that would give me a good time to be picked up in South Queensferry for trip to St. Andrews would be very helpful and much appreciated.

That depends.

Get your tender tickets early.

That way you will be tendering after those PAX that have booked shore excursions with Princess.

Good luck. Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

• 4 weeks later...
Generally, I set times for private excursions at least 2 hrs after arrival time if tendering.

So you should be fine with 9-9:30 am

Thanks, this is the stop I'm anxious about since it's DH's bucket list item.

You can also write the tour operator and see what they say. I'm sure they've had a lot of experience with ships that tender.

Yes we have communicated and are going to discuss time after they have been a couple of ships this year so he has a better idea. This is a private excursion.

• 1 month later...
Tours will get off first...so either take a tour ...or get a ticket early . Can depend on how many tours are going ...

You can take x99 or 43 to the Edinburgh by Lothian Buses.

https://lothianbuses.co.uk/news/article/new-service-x99

Service 43 and the limited stop X43 will operate between St Andrew Square and South Queensferry with busesleaving every 20 minutes during the day from Monday to Saturday and every 30 minutes during the day on Sundays.

Are you planning on going to Edinburgh or St. Andrews? I am born and brought up in Edinburgh, now live in Aberdeen but just back from 2 holidays trips as well to St. Andrews so can give lots of place knowledge if you need xx

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Are you planning on going to Edinburgh or St. Andrews? I am born and brought up in Edinburgh, now live in Aberdeen but just back from 2 holidays trips as well to St. Andrews so can give lots of place knowledge if you need xx

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Halo!

My Ancestry is Scottish (Inverness)....Been back many times and I love the city and the surrounding country. Beautiful. Being American, I had thought several times of "re-locating" to Scotland....but now, many, MANY years later - just visit.

How do we get”tender tickets”?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The time and place to obtain tickets will be advised in The Princess Patter daily newsletter on the evening before. Basically they will expect you to be assembled as a group ready to go immediately you get your tickets. Normally they like to give out the same number of ticket as people they see stood in front of them. They will try and work you in around tour groups who they prioritise so you cannot really tell how long it will be. They do not cost any money.

Regards John

There will be a lot of people on Princess tours and that means a lot of people will be off before you but I would say expect to be off by about 9:00am. There's usually a long line to get back to the ship at South Queensferry especially if you happen to come back when some of the bus tours do too. If you can time it to be there between them, it'll save you a lot of time at the end of a long day.

I think the worst tendering line I experienced on the British Isles cruises I've done was at Kirkwall. It was a good hour and 15 mins. before I got on the tender. Spent the time talking with fellow passengers so time passed by somewhat quickly. So just plan accordingly.

Tours will get off first...so either take a tour ...or get a ticket early . Can depend on how many tours are going ...

And probably hundreds of Elite pax on board, doing independent things, who will also get priority over non Elite/Suite pax. We did British Isles Cruise on Crown in 2009, at Queensferry (Edinburgh)

and Princess contracted a couple of real big local ferries to assist its own tenders to and from the ship.

We are doing the British Isles cruise again on Royal on 18 June.

How do we get”tender tickets”?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

For those going ashore independently the tender ticket process & times will be posted in the Princess Patter. Basically on the Royal it works like this. When your entire group is ready report to the Symphony DR on deck 5 mid ship where you will be provided a tender ticket with a number. It is one ticket/pp. One individual can not pick up tickets for other family members or a group. As seats become available on the tenders, ticket numbers a called in order. Early arrivals have the lower numbers. The Royal has large tenders.

Exceptions:

-If you are on a ship's tour report at the time and location shown on the tour ticket. Separate tender tickets are not required.

-If you are in a full suite or if you are elite loyalty status report to the tender ticket location and you will be placed in a separate priority queue.

-At some point there will probably be an announcement that tender tickets are no longer required and you can report directly to the pontoon.

For those going ashore independently the tender ticket process & times will be posted in the Princess Patter. Basically on the Royal it works like this. When your entire group is ready report to the Symphony DR on deck 5 mid ship where you will be provided a tender ticket with a number. It is one ticket/pp. One individual can not pick up tickets for other family members or a group. As seats become available on the tenders, ticket numbers a called in order. Early arrivals have the lower numbers. The Royal has large tenders.

Exceptions:

-If you are on a ship's tour report at the time and location shown on the tour ticket. Separate tender tickets are not required.

-If you are in a full suite or if you are elite loyalty status report to the tender ticket location and you will be placed in a separate priority queue.

-At some point there will probably be an announcement that tender tickets are no longer required and you can report directly to the pontoon.

" The Royal has large tenders."

Thank you I've been wondering about how many would be able to go at a time. Visions of 25 people at a time have entered my mind as I wonder if we are going to be able to make our excursion.

" The Royal has large tenders."

Thank you I've been wondering about how many would be able to go at a time. Visions of 25 people at a time have entered my mind as I wonder if we are going to be able to make our excursion.

I don't know how big the tenders on Royal Princess are, but for certain the tenders will take at least 100 pax at a time and maybe 150 or more when tendering.

I don't know how big the tenders on Royal Princess are, but for certain the tenders will take at least 100 pax at a time and maybe 150 or more.

Thanks. Shame we waited so long to start cruising, new cruiser = long waits. Figures that the main stop where time is a real crunch is one where we have to tender.

I don't know how big the tenders on Royal Princess are, but for certain the tenders will take at least 100 pax at a time and maybe 150 or more when tendering.

Probably closer to 150, they pack 'em in like sardines.:') Hopefully, like I said, they will have contracted a large local ferry to assist.

Thanks. Shame we waited so long to start cruising, new cruiser = long waits. Figures that the main stop where time is a real crunch is one where we have to tender.

The Patter will indicate what time tender tickets will be handed out. Be on the line at least 20 minutes before that time and you will likely be on one of the first tenders.

The Patter will indicate what time tender tickets will be handed out. Be on the line at least 20 minutes before that time and you will likely be on one of the first tenders.

Thanks, that was what we were hoping.

• 2 weeks later...
The patter is the daily newsletter/itinerary which is placed in your box outside you room each evening for the following day.

And the Patter for embarkation day will be in your cabin when you arrive.

Be sure to go over the Patter each day so you will know what activities/events you would like to attend.

Too often people say they missed something because they did not know about it, and that is because they did not examine the Patter closely.

Passengers number around 3600 and there are sixteen tenders on the deck plan. This divides out to 200+ passengers for each tender. I should say they take 200 - 250 passengers per tender.

Regards John