Cozumel Activities Advice?

My family of 4 (kids 11 and 12) will be docking in Cozumel with RC in April and I'm stuck for something to do. The excursions don't sound like stuff we really want to do, either because of travel time/distance or age or cost. We're considering the Jeep to Punta Sur or the dolphinarium (?), but Jeep gets mixed reviews and we've done the dolphin thing before somewhere else.

If we don't book an excursion through the cruise, are there things to do in/near port that are safe, fun, close by and easy to get to? Is there a 'must see/do' in Cozumel? My husband and I were there many years ago but our kids have never been.

Thanks!!

Check Trip Advisor or Cruise Critic (same company) Cozumel Excursions; no need to book through cruise line you will just overpay. There are many options (we like Mr. Sancho's, but our guys are young adults and enjoy the adult beverages; but we see young families there too). Only thing I would avoid is any excursion that involves spending half the day on a ferry to the mainland as it wastes half the day (ruins tours - do those on mainland). Never had an issue or felt unsafe in Cozumel; nice port area, clean, free wi-fi and the vendors really are not that aggressive.

Edited by CelticMCO

How do you book something like "Mr. Sancho's" and does transportation pick you up and return you to the peer? With all the news lately, I'm a little leery of drinking alcohol in Mexico so not sure it's worth paying an all-inclusive price. But a beach/resort thing might be cool!

Check Trip Advisor or Cruise Critic (same company) Cozumel Excursions; no need to book through cruise line you will just overpay. There are many options (we like Mr. Sancho's, but our guys are young adults and enjoy the adult beverages; but we see young families there too). Only thing I would avoid is any excursion that involves spending half the day on a ferry to the mainland as it wastes half the day (ruins tours - do those on mainland). Never had an issue or felt unsafe in Cozumel; nice port area, clean, free wi-fi and the vendors really are not that aggressive.

If you aren't looking for all inclusive we really enjoyed Paradise Beach. You have to take a taxi which are safe to do. It was $3/person to get in, they do ask you spend at least $10/person on food. They have inflatables for an extra charge if your kids like that. The $3 get you in and a chair on the beach or by the pool. They also have really clean bathrooms and changing rooms. You can find other reviews online and more info on their website.

How do you book something like "Mr. Sancho's" and does transportation pick you up and return you to the peer? With all the news lately, I'm a little leery of drinking alcohol in Mexico so not sure it's worth paying an all-inclusive price. But a beach/resort thing might be cool!

Physically they are about 10 miles south of the port and a cab runs $17 plus tip each way. You can book either all-inclusive or just beach. The water park (floats) costs a bit extra as do things like horseback riding, wave runners and parasailing. Good food, nice folks. They take about 10% with Paypal when you book, rest in cash or credit card when you arrive. No problem cancelling - immediate Paypal refund (our ship went somewhere else). Snorkeling not great, although some fish around sculptures just beyond the water volleyball area. They assign someone to look after you for the day and they show up often to offer drinks and food.

We've been to three of these places so far and like Mr Sanchos the most, although all are pretty good. You can book through an excursion company but easiest on their website: http://www.mrsanchos.com/ They also have a booth on the pier but you still have to get down there on your own and they could be full if there are lots of ships in port.

We are doing the Fury Catamaran excursion with our 13 year old son. It does get good reviews on Trip Advisor. Ironically, it is the only ship excursion we are doing. I purchased it when it was on sale and then a month later it went cheaper and I rebooked.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Forums mobile app

I’ve done Fury Catamaran twice and we really enjoyed it. It’s nice because you don’t have any travel time and you meet right off the ship. Nice boat ride, snorkel, complimentary drinks, fun music, good beach, and big water floats/slide, kayaks, etc.

I will say the snorkeling was kind of generic but overall great excursion. I’d book again.

We booked Mayan Laser Tag, through the ship, and it was AWESOME. We played at Chakaanab Park, and after wards you could swim, watch the sea lion show, eat (on your dime) and go back to the ship when ready. We LOVED it. The children in our group ranged from 9-12 and they had a lot of fun while playing the laser tag.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Another vote for Chankanaab, lots to do there, pretty good snorkeling, pool with swim up bar, clean restrooms and a restaurant, 10 minute cab ride from port. We did the manatee swim when we were there last, grandkids really enjoyed that, booked it on their website.

If you think that your kids would like a "beach day" at a place where there is a beach, two swimming pools, lots of "water toys" ranging from stuff to climb on and jump from to giant water "bikes", and kayaks and other non-motorized water stuff, and if you would like all inclusive food and drink along with those included activities, plus the possibility of getting a massage on the beach, try Playa Mia.

The excursion from the ship includes round trip transportation.

If anyone reading this has been to Playa Mia before, they have REALLY upped their game. Tremendous renovations and improvements. It's now a very impressive place.

I don't think you need to consider the ferry anymore:

Narco-Terrorism and Bombs on Ferries - Cruise Lines Warn About Excursions Between Cozumel and Playa del Carmen, Mexico