Restaurant for Lunch in St. John

iujen94

We are planning to do St. John on our own on our cruise in April. We are planning to go to Trunk Bay, and I'm looking for suggestions on where to eat lunch afterwards - either near Trunk or at Cruz Bay before catching the ferry back to St. Thomas. I know it's hit and miss as to which restaurants have re-opened. Thanks!

You may want to eat a BIG breakfast that morning.

The restarant/bar area at Trunk Bay was destroyed and is in the process of rebuilding.

Not much was open at Cruz Bay so your choices are very limited.

Hopefully, by April more will be open.

• 3 weeks later...

I suggested to someone else today going to North Shore Deli in Mongoose Junction (a short walk from the Cruz Bay Ferry Dock). You could stop here on your way to the beach or on the way back. They open for breakfast before you'd arrive on St. John. The sandwich I had last month at North Shore Deli was great!

The Sun Dog Cafe in Mongoose Junction is also open for lunch. Mongoose Junction is a shopping area a few minutes walk from the ferry dock. There are lots of wonderful shops here, too, so it's a very nice spot for lunch after the beach.

Looks like the Ocean Grill in Mongoose Junction is also open for lunch. It's a little more pricey than the other suggestions but good food in a pretty setting.

Cruz Bay Landing and High Tide are very close to one another just off the ferry dock. Cruz Bay Landing is straight ahead when you exit the ferry and High Tide is immediately to your right. High Tide is always our last meal before heading to the airport when we leave St. John. Both are good.

No matter what you choose, all will be VERY grateful for your support! Enjoy my happy place!

• 2 weeks later...

I used to go to this place all the time called JJ's Texas Style Cafe' for lunch on St. John, I know that sounds crazy but it was on the left at Cruz Bay, the bartender(when you travel alone and your a major drinker you not only talk to the bartenders you get to know them by name;)), the bartender his name was Whitey last I heard he was on St. Croix doing the same thing. Best burgers and salads on St. John, the place to be during the day when it's raining or very cloudy, place was ALWAYS packed.

I went to Trunk Bay with a handful of folks from the ship(2007), Ok I love Trunk Bay but when it's raining and there is a bar close by, I'll meet you at the bar. Jeez!!!

This place JJ's Texas Style Cafe' was a local favorite, it's St. John, when they say "everybody knows everybody they mean EVERYBODY KNOWS EVERYBODY":D:p. It's very entertaining. I had a really good time at this place(did it again in 2008), I'm not even sure it's there anymore, in the event it is great lunch, great time and didn't want to leave, I hate getting on the ferry at Cruz Bay back to Redhook. Hope that helps Todd

Hey Thanks O2B, I just found that on TripAdvisor. Cruz Bay Landing that place was a really good time. I'm heading back to St. Thomas in Nov., I hadn't planned on going back over to St. John this year but due to an itinerary change Princess is giving us an extra 2 hours on St. Thomas, St. John is back on the radar.

I'm getting far to old for the big hurry, I cant and wont do it anymore. Back in 2010 our taxi from Redhook got "stuck in traffic" we were 7 minutes late back to Crown Bay, it was a very unpleasant experience got read the RIOT ACT by our cruise director, simply because I wanted to spend a little more time on Trunk. Never again.

If your ship leaves at 5pm, dont take the 4pm ferry back to Redhook, and then expect to get to Crown Bay by 5pm SHARP!!! What a nightmare.

The Host Anne recommended a couple of options at Mongoose Junction sounds pretty convincing. For me going over to St. John the decision is really kinda based on where we port if we port at Crown Bay chances are I'm not going to St. John(yes it was that bad) they'll be no next time, next time I fly back to Ft. Lauderdale:loudcry:, Havensight is different, I much prefer Havensight. Thanks have a good evening Todd

Keep in mind that walking from the ferry terminal to any restaurant in Cruz Bay is minutes. High Tide is the closest restaurant to the ferry. Turn right when you exit the ferry fence and you are at High Tide.

Walk straight ahead and across the street and you are at Cruz Bay Landing.

Go left and walk five minutes along the water and you'll find Mongoose Junction on your right (you can't miss it).

So many great options. THANKS to all who are making the journey to St. John. Your visit does help the recovery efforts immensely. Enjoy!

Keep in mind that walking from the ferry terminal to any restaurant in Cruz Bay is minutes. High Tide is the closest restaurant to the ferry. Turn right when you exit the ferry fence and you are at High Tide.

Walk straight ahead and across the street and you are at Cruz Bay Landing.

Go left and walk five minutes along the water and you'll find Mongoose Junction on your right (you can't miss it).

So many great options. THANKS to all who are making the journey to St. John. Your visit does help the recovery efforts immensely. Enjoy!

Hey Thanks for this great info. I hadn't planned on going over to St. John this year, with the 2 extra hours they're giving us I'm not missing it for anything. Looking forward to seeing some of the improvement made since the storm.

Keep in mind for years I never stayed on St. Thomas, same old song and dance (taxi-ferry-taxi), get every last second on Trunk Bay that I could, and head back to Crown Bay. Kinda planned on doing Magens this year with some shopping downtown afterwards like back in the day, I havent done that in ages. St. John is sounding better and better, plus the snack BAR at Trunk should be back up and running by then, plus all the other options recommended by our Host. Thanks for the updated info. Todd

Btw our ship will be on St. Thomas Wed. 11/28, is there anything else I should know about the post hurricane and "recovery efforts"??? :confused:Thanks for everyone's help.

I've been back to St John twice after the hurricanes (I own a home there). The beaches are beautiful. As noted the snack bar at Trunk is closed but they are renting chairs there. I agree with the previous posters about getting sandwiches from the deli grotto in Mongoose junction to bring to the beach (and don't forget drinks too!). But if you want to eat in Cruz Bay, many restaurants are open.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm heading back soon and will come back and give you an update.

If you stop at the deli at Mongoose (it's now called North Shore Deli - http://northshoredeli.restaurantsnapshot.com/) it's in the back of the complex on the north side. I bet your taxi driver would stop there for you on the way to the beach if you ask. They have great sandwiches. If you can, I'd recommend calling them to place an order when you are on your way to St. John. Their phone number is on their website (scoll down to where you see the map).

THANKS to everyone who chooses to travel to St. John during your cruise. You are helping to support the island recovery and everyone who lives/works there is very appreciative!

ENJOY!