An insanely detailed Seaside Yacht Club Review!

Dr. Cocktail

I keep looking at the menu's for Roy's and I am quite confused by them a bit. Some items look interesting, but a few I am uncertain of what they actually are. Might make more sense for us on board. I am just not a fan of sushi, so that doesn't interest me, but I am assuming that not all the options are sushi. I like the idea of the teppanyaki, though again not overly certain of the menu though.

I keep looking at the menu's for Roy's and I am quite confused by them a bit. Some items look interesting, but a few I am uncertain of what they actually are. Might make more sense for us on board. I am just not a fan of sushi, so that doesn't interest me, but I am assuming that not all the options are sushi. I like the idea of the teppanyaki, though again not overly certain of the menu though.

The menu doesn't represent, in any closeness, the uniqueness of the items (just in our opinion). That's why we were so surprised by 'what came. In fact, the menu writer should be fired. Grossly under-defined the uniqueness of the Asian infusion that this venue brings.

Wife not sushi (et al) or fish, yet she's had double steamed bun pork belly with coleslaw (fresh cut), chicken wings (sounds TYPICAL doesn't it) that were really ASIAN INFUSED CRUSTED CHICKEN WING DELIGHTS. :o She's also had the ribs (again) that were really ASIAN INFUSED RUBBED THICK BONED PORK RIBS (sound better?) ;)

Wow, makes me 'long for the touchscreen menu at FOOD REPUBLIC on NCL Escape (PICTURES worth how many words?).

I'll try tomorrow to get some pictures up of what we've had at Roys'.

The tv swing out from the wall so yes you can watch tv from the bed.

This seems to vary from cabin to cabin, at least in the Yacht Club. We did a b2b and the first week our cabin had a huge tv, but no swivel, the second week our cabin had a smaller tv, but it swiveled.

I think Roy's is included with the Black Card, but not the Teppanyaki Grill!

I believe that is correct. However, as we've been there several times, and we were inquiring about the Teppanyaki with Wagyu option (very small portion, we like), they offered to credit us $35 per person. I don't believe this is the policy, we think they made an on the spot exception. We've booked now for Friday night.

Tonight is the "lobster tail" night; a typical buzz on all cruise lines. Being from New England with daily access to Maine cold water lobster, we were pleasantly surprised on Divina YC Le Muse last year to have had large, butterflied, butter basted tails. Didn't need butter or salt, tender and sweet.

Unfortunately, we were told at breakfast that we might not be having THAT COLD WATER LOBSTER TAIL. Rather, a spinny warm water lobster that might be just the tail or the lobster split in half (but the waitstaff wasn't positive until they would see them in the preparation.

My YC restaurant ratings have plummeted throughout the week (if you go my profile, my last 7 posts). Last night was no change in the decline. The fish and shellfish skewer over rice with mescalin salad was the most pathetic creation and poorly executed. The shrimp was edible, but the cut fish and diver scallops BAD. Cut fish was so dry, never even attempted it. The very small Diver scallops had absolutely ZERO TASTE and were dry. The mescalin salad was 7-8 small ripped pieces out of iceberg lettuce, dry and nasty. Disgusting.

Others at table had the Italian night lasagna special. THEY LOVED IT.

Another had the Osso Bucco, LOVED IT.

Desserts also very good.

WINE really good tonight with some special Italian brands.

It could be just me :o

Since the first couple dinners, a mess.

NEW ISSUE (Could be hot button) - There are three very young (babies to toddlers) that simply do not belong in the dining room based upon their constant crying and actually screaming the ENTIRE time. People around them try to help and now the staff has even been holding and walking them. On of the toddlers was racing around the tables, the stairs to the lounge. TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE - - PARENTING. The fact that MSC allows it is fascinating. NOTE - - First time we've encountered on any cruise; have seen hundreds of toddlers with parents that made it work, and we have our own GK's, 3-5, which we can take to a resort restaurant, with ZERO ISSUES (other than compliments from the staff).

First time you saw the toddlers at dinner?

If they're there every night I would probably change my dining time.

If I had the nerve (which I don't), I'd ask the parents what time they were having dinner tomorrow night so I can go another time.:evilsmile:

First time you saw the toddlers at dinner?

If they're there every night I would probably change my dining time.

If I had the nerve (which I don't), I'd ask the parents what time they were having dinner tomorrow night so I can go another time.:evilsmile:

Empowering the .05% not really a good idea IMO. :oAsked, along with others, RM to consider policies and procedures going forward. If one (or three) are "offended" (modern impairment) by objection to their own flaw in parenting, does that take priority over the hundred+ "affected?" The answer to many 'moderns is 'yes (victims' syndrome). Not my answer. Having everyone's tide lowered to lowest uncommon denominator will not 'work out in the long run.

MSC also eliminated the YC seating, waiter selection and reservation time system. WHY? Because some guests (estimated by RM) 5% did not show up or call to cancel. Made for problems with others waiting. So, the 5% disrespectful do not face the consequences of their own actions and lose their seating and reservation, the other 95% no longer can pick a table, a waiter and a time as previously well known for. :(

Oh well, still a great time. Just hashing out some of the issues and changes.

The answer to many 'moderns is 'yes (victims' syndrome). Not my answer. Having everyone's tide lowered to lowest uncommon denominator will not 'work out in the long run.

OMG this x 1000

Mafig: When we sailed divina it was reported the weeks before us that you had to pick one time for LeMuse and then go there everyday at that time. I was surprised when we boarded that it was much more flex (show up whenever). Sounds like it's show up whenever on Seaside right now (notice I say right now because MSC changes things frequently :))

Dr. Cocktail...phenomenal review...

Unfortunately heard mixed MSC reviews too often.

Warning you...don’t make the mistake my wife and I recently made. Cruised with Seabourn. 3 weeks later boarded a HAL ship, which was fine...but not Seabourn.

When we were on Divina we could just show up "whenever." Is this not the case with Seaside?

Luigi will seat you as space is available if you just show up without having a suggested time We were always there between 6-6:30 for a 6:30 time. No problem getting a table with the server we wanted.

Dr. Cocktail...phenomenal review...

Unfortunately heard mixed MSC reviews too often.

Warning you...don’t make the mistake my wife and I recently made. Cruised with Seabourn. 3 weeks later boarded a HAL ship, which was fine...but not Seabourn.

Thanks!

I have yet to sail on Seabourn .... while I have "permission" from my partner, we have been disappointed by the overall activities on all of our previous small ship cruising.

While the Yacht Club is not perfect, the bang for buck is unrivaled in the cruise industry. We sailed on HAL 6 weeks before the Seaside .... the suite, food and service were fantastic on Seaside.

Strangely enough, I think that the entertainment was better on HAL ... they have really improved over the last year or two.

As I've said before .... First World Concerns!